Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the T5 was discussed a couple months ago, but I was wondering what everyone thought now that its out. Has anyone seen any good reviews? It defintely looks good on paper: 247 hp, optional 17" 235/45 wheels, just slightly bigger than the IS, weighs much less, and fully loaded for about $37k. I'm sure the handling won't compare, and its still a Volvo (which I vowed never to drive long ago), but it seems impressive.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
(Keep in mind I'm not biased because I don't have an IS300) but I'm not a big fan of the quirky character that come with Swedish cars. After test driving the Saab Viggen, I realized that it didn't have the Fit & Finish or the drum tight build quality of the IS300. It did look good on paper, just like I'm sure the Volvo did, but it left a stale aftertaste in my mouth and left a lot to be desired. The S60 lacks in both the design and refinement dept. I have owned a Lexus in the past and have realized that you can't go wrong buddy....
Eric...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Well, it finally seems that Volvo will at least stop renaming their cars every two years so that helps a little. Though it's fwd I would take a serious look at the T5 with a stick. Very stealthy and sexy. And it doesn't hurt that it'll probably run six flat to sixty.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Edmunds.com has a pretty good review of the S60. If I recall correctly, they liked it pretty well, but said it really wasn't competition for the 3-Series BMW and the IS300 if you are looking for a sporty car.

I believe their comment was if you are a previous Volvo owner you will love it, but otherwise they would recommend the 3-Series BMW or IS300.

I test drove a S70 T5R a couple of years ago. It was very smooth and drove well, but felt pretty disconnected from the road. After being used to my 5-Series BMW, it felt rather numb.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm not a big Volvo fan, but the S6 seemed good on paper. Nevertheless, it's a high compression Turbo (that's not always good news), and is still a Volvo. Not as sporty as my IS...so I doubt it'll be competition. It is a bit pricy, but it'll probably compete with the Acura TL.

black/ivory
17"

·
2,909 Posts
When I saw this car at the auto show here in Miami a few weeks ago, I sat in the first couple of S60's to be in the US. The PR guy told me the car has a co-efficient drag of 0.28. I was a little surprised at that. When I sat in the car I realized there is not alot of sight through the rear window. Otherwise options are plenty from what I remember there are 12 colors, 6 rims, 2 stereos(one w/ 13 speakers), and a choice of leather or cloth. Many other options but too much to mention. When I opened the trunk he pointed out the battery was on the rear left hand side of the trunk near the spare tire. He also told me 0-60 time was 6.3sec.(T5). Overall the car looks sharp, fit and finish is very good, but it looks too much like the other models nothing really distinguishes it from the others. I say it's a nice car but I'll stick w/ my IS.

GGP/SR
17'

[This message has been edited by jiggafett (edited October 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
A guy here in our office has an 850 Turbo with 160k miles on it.

I was on the San Mateo Bridge once at the toll plaza. Two professional women, one in a T5 sedan, the other in an 850 T, they both left at the same time and ran it up to like 120mph. It was pretty funny. I was in my little red 325i at the time and had no hope of keeping up.

I here that the Turbos are quite the sleepers in Europe with a chip--just like an Audi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
The S60 lacks in both the design and refinement dept. I have owned a Lexus in the past and have realized that you can't go wrong buddy....
Eric...
I don't really think that it is fair to say that the S60 lacks in the refinement dept, when you most likely have not even driven one to make an educated judgement. If you have, then that is a different story. I have driven the IS300, A4, 323i, TL, and I30t on a track at Edmunds.com and I have also driven the S60 T5. The S60 does not handle as well as the IS300 or 323i at 10/10ths pace, but at 9/10ths pace it is a far better overall package than those five cars. It will beat all of them to 60mph as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The S60 T5 looks great to me. Styling wise, only thing I hate is the black molding (does not match paint).

It is the first volvo I ever was tempted by.

If you order one from the factory, you can pay $100 to get thicker sway bars front and back, that would help handling a little.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
That comparison site has some wrong info.

It says that the IS300 comes standard with auto-dimming rearview mirror (it doesn't) and has an optional trip computer (it doesn't)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts