Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volvo shows how not to demonstrate your car's "Collision Warning with Auto Brake" system in front of a live audience. As you can probably already tell, the S60 doesn't fare too well when it came time to brake. Video after the break.
At a demonstration of Volvo's new collision warning system in Sweden this week, Wired got first-hand experience of what happens when it goes badly wrong -- and we've got the video below to prove it.

The new Volvo S60, due for release later this year, was fired out of Volvo's testing tunnel at around 30MPH, and the collision detection system should have kicked in, bringing the car automatically to a halt before hitting the truck in its path.

It didn't. Instead, the brand new car ploughed into the back of the truck in front of us, and indeed the world's press who had gathered in Sweden to see the collision detection system in action.

To be fair, we had seen it working perfectly earlier in the day, and we'll be writing about that soon. This pre-series car suffered as the result of a human error in preparation of the crash, Volvo later claimed, and that had a human been driving, he or she would have noticed the system was not operating correctly. The technical reason for the fail concerned a problem with the car's battery.

Either way, it was extremely amusing, although we're sure Volvo doesn't think so. Of the many deliberate crashes we saw at Volvo's safety centre in Sweden, this was the only demonstration that wasn't supposed to crash.

Ready to watch? Head over to Wired's video to see the accidental crash in all its glory!

Stay tuned to Wired to see what happens when the system operates correctly.

Here's a vid of how it's supposed to work:
TechEBlog How Not to Demonstrate Your Car's Auto-Brake Feature

Video: Volvo accidentally smashes new car in safety demo

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I feel like there have been enough incidents where systems like this don't work, that I wouldn't want to take the chance of using them.

Also... FIRST!

·
27,116 Posts
Mercedes is so epic... that other car companies even copy their failures.

I'd really like to know what happened. I've seen this system on Volvo's demonstrated so much. Let me guess... somebody forgot they turned the system off? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Mercedes is so epic... that other car companies even copy their failures.

I'd really like to know what happened. I've seen this system on Volvo's demonstrated so much. Let me guess... somebody forgot they turned the system off? :rolleyes:
I'm going to guess that Volvo will claim the pre-series car suffered as the result of a human error in preparation of the crash, and that had a human been driving, he or she would have noticed the system was not operating correctly. Also, the technical reason for the fail likely concerned a problem with the car's battery.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
I'm going to guess that Volvo will claim the pre-series car suffered as the result of a human error in preparation of the crash, and that had a human been driving, he or she would have noticed the system was not operating correctly. Also, the technical reason for the fail likely concerned a problem with the car's battery.
you may be right about this, i'll have to check

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pricing was just announced on the redesigned S60.. Buyers should probably pass on the technology pkg
Just the Facts:
•Redesigned 2011 Volvo S60 starts at $38,550.
•2009 Volvo S60 started at $31,000.

•The new S60 debuted earlier this year at the Geneva auto show.

ROCKLEIGH, New Jersey — Volvo said its redesigned 2011 S60 sedan will be priced starting at $38,550 when it goes on sale late this year in the U.S. The price includes an $850 shipping charge.

Volvo is repositioning the revamped S60 considerably upmarket from the 2009 model, which started at around $31,000.

First unveiled as a concept at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show, the production version of the new S60 debuted earlier this year at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show.

The latest edition of the car is a bit larger inside and out than its predecessor. In addition to all-new sheet metal and a new cabin, Volvo has beefed up the powertrain.

Whereas the 2009 S60 came with a 208-horsepower turbocharged 2.5-liter inline five-cylinder engine, the new model is fitted with T6 hardware, specifically a turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 rated at 300 hp and 325 pound-feet of torque, driving all four wheels through a six-speed Geartronic automatic transmission.

Buyers can further inflate the sticker on a 2011 S60 T6 AWD to well over $40,000 by selecting from several options packages, including a Premium package ($1,500), a Climate package ($800), a Multimedia package ($2,700) and a Technology package ($2,100) that bundles such safety systems as pedestrian detection, collision warning with auto brake and lane-departure warning. Free-standing options include an active chassis, a blind-spot information system and front and rear park assist.

The 2011 S60 also comes with a five-year/60,000-mile warranty.

Inside Line says: A breathtaking price hike on this midrange Volvo. — Paul Lienert, Correspondent

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
had a human been driving, he or she would have noticed the system was not operating correctly.
Had a human been driving they would not have needed that stupid system but would have hit the brake pedal themselves.

Or they would have not been paying attention, the system would have failed, and they would have rightfully paid the price for not watching the road in front of them.

When are we going to realize that cybernannies are no substitute for proper driver training, and regular medical and driving skill testing?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts