Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the volt pre outs of the head unit portray the ability of how good they run your speakers that are connected? e.i. 5v preouts would sound better than 4v preouts.

or is this for something completely different. haha i have no idea

and if it is what conducts the better sound, if i end up getting a 3 chan amp for my components later on, would this voltage even matter? Basically asking if i should spend money on a better HU then getting a cheaper one that has all the same capabilites but the high volt pre out.

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
If you aren't running an amp it doesn't matter at all. However, if you ARE running an amp it will matter. The voltage of the pre-outs determine how much work the amp needs to do.The higher the voltage signal, the less the amp needs to AMPLIFY that signal. This will in turn, give you a cleaner sound.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it though unless you are planning something fairly epic. Get a unit that has the features you will enjoy everyday.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
pre-out voltage is very important if you are running any amps. its basically the strength of the signal going to the amp. it has no affect on the internal amplifier of your headunit, aka, the speaker wires.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
dammit steven. always beating me to the punch.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
oh...yeah. i forget that people use that. waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
uh, oh.....there might be another guy who knows wtf he's talking about on here....good.

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
Haha, only if it can shock you. I specialize in DC systems, so I know my way around a wiring harness a lot better than an engine bay.
Excellent. Good to have an electrical guy around here. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Do the volt pre outs of the head unit portray the ability of how good they run your speakers that are connected? e.i. 5v preouts would sound better than 4v preouts.

or is this for something completely different. haha i have no idea

and if it is what conducts the better sound, if i end up getting a 3 chan amp for my components later on, would this voltage even matter? Basically asking if i should spend money on a better HU then getting a cheaper one that has all the same capabilites but the high volt pre out.
Yes, it is true that an amp has to do more work to amplify a 2V vs a 5V signal, but if an amp is designed well and is clean, it can amplify a 2V or 18V signal just the same and get similar results from both. One other angle to look at the benefits higher voltage preouts is from a noise point of view. A 2V signal is much more susceptible to noise than a 5V signal and can probably travel over a longer distance with less adverse effects. That being said, this can be minimized using higher grade RCA cables too.

Also, the preamp stage of a HU would make a difference too, I would take a clean 2V preamp/preout signal over a not so clean 5V signal anyday.

Just a couple more things to consider...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.