Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello again. I recently purchased my second is300 5 speed for a heck of a deal. I though it would be fun to start a turbo build.
I just purchased a turbo kit that was pieced together (for an NA/T supra build)

Xs power t4 manifold
Xs power downpipe
Turbonetics t66 turbo 81AR
Tial 44mm wastegate w/ adapter for manifold
Dump tube
Greddy type s bov
Xspower intercooler
Cx racing universal intercooler piping & couplers
A pillar (2) gauge pod
Intake pipe
Apexi safc2
Cxracing oil feed and drain line kit

I went ahead and bought the Centerforce DF clutch made for the stock Dual mass flywheel and the TT supra cometic headgasket with ARP headstuds.
Next on the list is a new timing belt kit.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I plan on making around 350hp for a fun little drift car/ street. Would this be safe with just a piggy back SAFC? I plan on going stand alone ECU in the future but my budget as of now is tight.

PHOTOBUCKET WILL NOT HOST PHOTOS ANYMORE SO I HAVE TO FIX THE BUILD THREAD

Youtube build videos

·
Registered
230 Posts
let us know how the xs turbo manifold fits, Id like to know how it interacts with the ABS unit. and the xs intercooler requires removal of the crash bar right?

·
Registered
135 Posts
let us know how the xs turbo manifold fits, Id like to know how it interacts with the ABS unit. and the xs intercooler requires removal of the crash bar right?

I believe the xs manifold requires bending the abs lines out of the way. They are either touching or too close for comfort especially with all that heat. This is info I've acquired by referencing some of the build threads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe the xs manifold requires bending the abs lines out of the way. They are either touching or too close for comfort especially with all that heat. This is info I've acquired by referencing some of the build threads.
Im aware but wasnt sure if xs decided to redo there manifold like cx has to avoid the ABS lines. was hoping so to get a cheaper option

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to sell the XS manifold and buy the CX racing IS300 manifold just so I dont have to deal with the brake line relocation. Also the CX racing manifold has a V-band wastegate mount.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Im going to sell the XS manifold and buy the CX racing IS300 manifold just so I dont have to deal with the brake line relocation. Also the CX racing manifold has a V-band wastegate mount.
Im getting the general consensus the cx manifold is the way to go to save allot of issues right off the bat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seems smarter, but either way the heat build up will be an issue. I'd wrap the manifold & downpipe & get a turbo blanket. Even if oru on only warped the first 10-12" of the downpipe, that'll help keep all that heat away from the abs, battery, intake manifold ect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the CXRacing Turbo Manifold that keeps the ABS unit. (If anyone wants a new XS power manifold I have one for sale) The cxracing manifold has a 46mm wastegate flange and my wastegate is 44mm so I will have to weld on the correct flange.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in the middle of replacing the tt supra headgasket at the moment. The car was not over heated but since I have the head out should I have it resurfaced/ machined? Or will I be ok just installing the head back on the block?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks good,

What did you do to the headlights to make them iridescent?

Also I would invest in a Turbo Blanket,

I have two NA-T cars and it is unbelievable how much they help!

David

·
Registered
38 Posts
How was the fit on the CX manifold? Is it a divided manifold or a normal one?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Keep up the good job. Continue to fees us with all the updates you will make regarding this nice project. I like the way the kit looks on your car but for some reason I would never want it on my own car.... looks like a bodykit made for a drift car that needs to catch attention of the public. However as mentionned I like it on other's car

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. This car is being built to drift. The cx racing manifold fits great! Turbo blanket, exhaust wrap and heat shielding are items on my list. The headlights are a vinyl I applied very poorly without using a heat gun or proper prepping, I plan on redoing them soon.
I am in the middle of choosing a stand alone because my safcII Is not working out. Looking into Dezod Pnp AEM v2 because A/C and dash gauges are a must, plus I like the idea of plug and play so I don't have to invest hours into splicing a harness in. Any other options I should look at for a stand alone?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks everyone. This car is being built to drift. The cx racing manifold fits great! Turbo blanket, exhaust wrap and heat shielding are items on my list. The headlights are a vinyl I applied very poorly without using a heat gun or proper prepping, I plan on redoing them soon.
I am in the middle of choosing a stand alone because my safcII Is not working out. Looking into Dezod Pnp AEM v2 because A/C and dash gauges are a must, plus I like the idea of plug and play so I don't have to invest hours into splicing a harness in. Any other options I should look at for a stand alone?
Yes do AEMv2/Infinity or ProEFI if you want the setup to last

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I went ahead and purchased the Dezod PNP AEM V2 Ecu. Excited to unbox it! I installed the turbo kit and drove the car (around the block) with the stock ECU and no tune. The car is running super rich at 9.4 Idle and 9.8 WOT, I can hardly breathe. The base tune on the Dezod V2 is for a turbo Is300 so I will work with it until I have a chance to have the car tuned. Next is the clutch. It slips like crazy! I have a centerforce clutch for the dual mass flywheel ready to be installed. People might ask me why im sticking with the OEM dual mass, I had lots of issues in the past with my last Is300 and the Unorthodox racing flywheel. I will post a video once I get a chance to drive the car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found some boost leaks at the MAF sensor, now my AFR is around 10.2 . I also got a good deal on an AEM tru boost gauge.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the AEM series 2 in the mail, downloaded the Dezod base map and completed the steps on the AEM software. The car just is not able to start. Anyone have experience with installation on the Dezod plug and play Aem ecu?

I found a guy parting out an Is300 and took the rear door and quarter panel.

To-Do list:
1)Replace clutch
2)Get car running with Aem
3)Get prepped for a tune
4)Get tuned
5)Replace quarter panel and prep for paint
6)Paint
7)Buy new wheels

1 - 20 of 40 Posts