Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum people, I have an 03' Is300 and I have been having some running issues. After a thorough diagnosis process I have arrived at the culprit being a fried ECU. I am looking at a used ECU to replace it and am aware I will have to have it reprogrammed for keys to match ECU but I am wondering if the vin is stored in ECU and will need to be overwritten as well. I have searched and found an older thread on here but the discussion seemed to be centered more around inspections and the like and also left that question unresolved. If anyone has any experience in replacing ECU with used ECU I would like to hear it. I have a locksmith person who says they can get the car running, he helped me in past when I had to have key made after previous owners auto start work around failed but my concern is whether or not the VIN is written into the ECU. I care for purposes of the yearly inspection process. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hello forum people, I have an 03' Is300 and I have been having some running issues. After a thorough diagnosis process I have arrived at the culprit being a fried ECU. I am looking at a used ECU to replace it and am aware I will have to have it reprogrammed for keys to match ECU but I am wondering if the vin is stored in ECU and will need to be overwritten as well. I have searched and found an older thread on here but the discussion seemed to be centered more around inspections and the like and also left that question unresolved. If anyone has any experience in replacing ECU with used ECU I would like to hear it. I have a locksmith person who says they can get the car running, he helped me in past when I had to have key made after previous owners auto start work around failed but my concern is whether or not the VIN is written into the ECU. I care for purposes of the yearly inspection process. Thank you in advance.
I do not think vin's are on the ECU till 2005.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts