Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

MotorAuthority said:
General Motors has recently nabbed a bit of the limelight with its Lutz-inspired "May the Best Car Win" campaign, complete with a challenge to best his time around Laguna Seca in a CTS-V. But GM isn't the only American car manufacturer that's looking to take on the competition in a head-to-head battle.

Ford's 2010 Taurus SHO, powered by the new EcoBoost twin-turbocharged V-6 engine, is the Blue Oval's secret weapon. It's using the car to find favorable comparisons all across the spectrum, particularly in the luxury and performance arena.

Take the 2010 Audi A6 4.2 FSI for example. Powered by a 4.2-liter V-8 engine, the German luxury sedan has a 0.7-liter advantage in displacement over the SHO's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, plus an additional pair of cylinders, though it's rated at 350 horsepower--15 horsepower short of the SHO.

More power and the low-end torque provided by twin turbocharging is why the Audi can't overcome the SHO's straight-line accelerative powers, as Ford points out to great effect in the video below. But Ford doesn't stop there, noting as its closing line in the video that the $37,995 base-price Taurus SHO is $20,000 cheaper than the V-8 Audi A6, which starts at $60,950.

While there's an undeniable price gap, it's worth looking a little closer at the similarities and differences between the two to see if there's really a value gap.

Both the SHO and the A6 have all-wheel drive, though the Audi quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system is likely to be rated a bit higher on the driving dynamics scale for most drivers. Likewise, while the 2010 Taurus SHO is a very nice sedan, it's not a luxury car, and this shows through in the features department, though Ford's SYNC system does an admirable job of hanging with Audi's MMI nav/entertainment suite.

Overall cabin quality is likely to come out in favor the Audi as well. TheCarConnection's full reviews indicate mixed findings on the comfort of the front seats, while the back seat gets even less praise, despite adjectives like "classy" and "premium" being tossed about with regard to the interior materials and styling. Audi's interiors, on the other hand, are frequently praised as some of the best in the business for comfort, quality and design.

Still, it's impressive that a comparison between the Audi and the Ford can even be carried on with a straight face, let alone approximately analogous feature sets in at least some areas. It's no surprise that the Taurus comes up short on an apples-to-apples comparison--it's giving up $20,000 in build price, after all--but it's impressive to see how much value can be packed into the 2010 SHO for less than $45,000.

For the full low-down on the 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, including all its foibles and successes, read the full review at TheCarConnection.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1035262_video-ford-pits-2010-taurus-sho-against-v-8-powered-audi-a6-4-2-fsi

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I don't care. Its still a Taurus.

Although its come a long way, I still shall never own a Taurus.

·
2,752 Posts
And don't forget that you can pretty much get any twin turbo car pretty fast on 0-60 mph but the question is will it be reliable in the long term, will it be comfortable on daily drive and what gas mileage doesn't it need to achieve it. The A6 platform is nealry 5 years old came out in 2005 in Europe and the v8 engine is an old iteration of the 4.2 that was in the previous s4 known for bad gas mileage and 0-60 times in 5.3 sec (nothing bad but not //M or AMG worth).

Anyhow, I also don't think any A6 owner as ever cross shopped Ford prior to their purchase. When we got my mom her 550i last summer we crossed shopped the Lexus Gs460, the Audi S6 and the E 550 and none were as technology and performance oriented as the BMW ;)! A neighboor suggested that we tried the Pontiac GT G6 and when we gave him a ride in the 550i Dinan he almost shat himself...pure sleeper and 0-60 times in 4.6-4.7 sec with superb balance with individual interior that cannot be found in other cars.

I am sure Ford is doing the same Suby did with it's Legacy GT vs. Boxter...tack a Porsche @ a track and race it agaisnt the Scuby and it will decimate it...even with awd and flat box turbo engine.

Don-

·
13,727 Posts
I would drive the shit out of one of these.

The article did not mention resell value, thinking Audi may win in that category.

Still I'm liking Ford a lot right now.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
I would drive the shit out of one of these.

The article did not mention resell value, thinking Audi may win in that category.

Still I'm liking Ford a lot right now.
If you plan to drive it for 5 years resale value shouldnt be much of an issue.

Heres the problem with this car now, its going to be too expensive. To be honest there is not a single reason with import tariffs, shipping and what not that even if the car is 100% assembled in the US that we cannot blow the foreigners out of the water price wise. UNFORTUNATELY The US auto makers are retarded and price them selves around the same as the imports. Ever wonder how they can afford to give $6,000 rebates on vehicles? Maybe they should just price it as such to begin with so people dont have sticker shock turning them away before they actually get to experience the product.

The problem is despite ACTUAL quality, People perceive domestic cars to be inferior to imported Japanese and European models. (Notice I didnt say Asian because people PERCEIVE Hyundai/Kia to be worse than the average domestic) IF you PERCEIVE that one of the two comparable cars is worse than the other (say Taurus vs Audi A6) and theyre priced similarly you wont even look at the one with the lower perceived quality.

Next order of business, dont jack the price of the SHO up to the moon. It needs a max starting price of like $26-27,000 (With options around $33k). At that price youre taking a BIG stab at Mitsu and Subaru and Mazda for the AWD Turbo sedan market. We all know the base Taurus in 2 years will end up getting discounted by dealers to $16-18k, you cant honestly tell me a drivetrane and leather seats is worth DOUBLING the value of the car or more.

EDIT: I just went on Fords site....this thing starts at $26k.....:facepalm: theyre already doomed. The SHO Starts at $37k maxes out in the mid $40ks.....$10k off the mark.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
if the Taurus SHO is the first step in bringing over the fun Fords, I'm happy. Im surprised when you drive off of the Audi sales lot you dont hear your car depreciate. those things sink fast.

·
13,727 Posts
I seriously doubt Audi's depreciate more than Ford. It just probably hurts more due to their starting prices.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Exclusive Agent
3,582 Posts
Taurus SHO is a bad ass car for sure. But, there are many $40,000 bad ass cars.

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Taurus SHO is a bad ass car for sure. But, there are many $40,000 bad ass cars.
Is the SHO really worth the 40K? I'd get a jap or german car for that kind of $.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts