Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed slight to moderate vibration from the front (and on the steering wheel) when braking from highway speeds (above 50 mph). I did replace the pads/ rotors about 4000 miles ago (EBC), so I'd hate to think it's that already.

The vibrations have seem to have gotten worse with time and don't happen when braking at lower speeds.

The car is a 2001, and I am pretty sure nothing on the front suspension was changed (i.e. sway bar end links, and other bushings/ components). Would that cause it?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It is wrapped rotors. Does not not matter what brand. It can happen. Also when you put the pads and rotors on at the same time. Did you remove and re-grease the caliper pins?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is wrapped rotors. Does not not matter what brand. It can happen. Also when you put the pads and rotors on at the same time. Did you remove and re-grease the caliper pins?
Yes. One the caliper pins was stuck, but I managed to get it out and remove and re-grease.

In the back of my mind I figured it may have been the rotors, but I didn't think it'd happen that quickly.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Yes. One the caliper pins was stuck, but I managed to get it out and remove and re-grease.

In the back of my mind I figured it may have been the rotors, but I didn't think it'd happen that quickly.
It is just a matter of use and how much heat the pads transfer to them. Even if you turn the rotors. This makes them thinner and more prone to warp from heat. Because they have less material to absorb and dispute the heat.

I have found in my track and customers vs my personal. You must tune the brake to the way a person uses them. So it may be the rotors or pads or even both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks. I did some more research last night and probably will try a DIY fix by sanding and maybe even using a dremmel on the rotors to remove any built up material from the pads. If that doesn't work I will then probably get them turned for now and order a new pair of rotors later in the year.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sanding wont do much unfortunately, except maybe help a new set of pads bed in. Its vibrating because the rotor is physically warped so making the pads move around as you try to brake by squeezing them all together. Unless you are super skillfull and manage to take off only the high spots then sanding them wont change anything, and if you sand in the low spots you might make it worse. Personally i wouldn't go near it with a dremel, i would be too worried about creating a weak point for the rotor to crack, probably a bit extreme but why risk it. You could try taking the rotors off and cleaning between the rotor mating face and the hub, and to the wheel. Any dirt in there isn't going to make things feel good under braking.

If that doesnt change anything just take them in and get them skimmed, maybe throw a new set of pads in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could try taking the rotors off and cleaning between the rotor mating face and the hub, and to the wheel. Any dirt in there isn't going to make things feel good under braking.
Thanks! Was thinking I could try that as well... will let you guys know how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts