Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a 2001 IS300 with about 38k on it. The wierd thing is that the car will be smooth until I hit about 50 mph. When I'm riding around at that speed the steering wheel begins to shake pretty bad. Once above 70 it smooths out again. I can't figure out what it is but I'm dying to get rid of this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. THanks

Kevin

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had this exact problem when excelerating and then going slow.... Only I hit a pothole driving to san diego at about 85mph. It shifted my steering colum over an inch or so and completly dis-aligned my whole front end. Turns out the rim was bent and the steering column got moved which threw my alignment off and then destroyed the inside of my brand new tires. (Wire was showing). So check these things out.
-Tire and Wheel Alignment
-Bent Wheels (Check your tire wear in the front, this might be a hint is to what is going on.)
-Tire Balancing
-Wheel Ball Bearing (most likely not the problem but I would check it out cause if it's blown then it will cause other problems)
It is very likely it is one of these things if not all three...Just take it to an alignment spot and they can figure it out. Also ask them for a printout so you can see all your specs. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
pope said:
I had this exact problem when excelerating and then going slow.... Only I hit a pothole driving to san diego at about 85mph. It shifted my steering colum over an inch or so and completly dis-aligned my whole front end. Turns out the rim was bent and the steering column got moved which threw my alignment off and then destroyed the inside of my brand new tires. (Wire was showing). So check these things out.
-Tire and Wheel Alignment
-Bent Wheels (Check your tire wear in the front, this might be a hint is to what is going on.)
-Tire Balancing
-Wheel Ball Bearing (most likely not the problem but I would check it out cause if it's blown then it will cause other problems)
It is very likely it is one of these things if not all three...Just take it to an alignment spot and they can figure it out. Also ask them for a printout so you can see all your specs. Good luck.
lol POPE stop scaring the guy!!! but yeah it is a possiblity that u hit a pothole or something, and ur rim is uneven now..or u got new wheels or tires recently and didnt have the m balance proffesionally/properly?

best of luck, i jsut got done dealing with this...

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I agree with the Pope.

I had vibrations at 65-70mph. Had my wheels repaired and trued, and now its like buttah.

If you think it tire/wheel balance, make sure you take it to an alignment shop with a load-force balancer. I think thats Hunter 9000-series, if i remember correctly. I saw a demo of that machine and its awesome. Its super precise, and it simulates the weight of the vehicle while its balancing the wheel. It can also tell high and low spots in the tire, and high/low spots in your wheel. It then lines up the high spots in your tire with the low spots in your wheel, to cancel eachother out. This thing will definately be able to tell you if your wheel is bent too.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
yeah i'm having this exact issue in my car since i put new tires on the rear, and moved the rears to the front.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Seven0Three said:
yeah i'm having this exact issue in my car since i put new tires on the rear, and moved the rears to the front.
Any luck figuring this out? I just moved my rears to the front and now my steering wheel moves back and forth really fast between 50-60mph

These tires/wheels have never been up front, so I highly doubt I bend them while they were on the rear. Wheels are forged too.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
mrmonster said:
Any luck figuring this out? I just moved my rears to the front and now my steering wheel moves back and forth really fast between 50-60mph

These tires/wheels have never been up front, so I highly doubt I bend them while they were on the rear. Wheels are forged too.
due to the tires wearing unevenly they are now a little off balance, which is why you only get the vibration between 50-60. and like jayson says, forged doesn't mean much.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
JaysonMFK said:
heh i've cracked/bent forged wheels, forged means jack.
If it's not done right, the wheel becomes either really soft or really brittle.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah, same thing here on my ride. Took the ole yeller beast to "Gateway Tire" (supposed to be the best in the area) to get my michelin pilots sports on.......needless to say the guy did a piss poor job balancing them. Took it right back and another guy that knew what he was doing got it all worked out for me. :bigSmile: rides super smooth like it used to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have this exact problem as well. My car was shaking pretty bad right at 49mph-55mph. I got all 4 tires balanced yesterday at the best place in town. It helped a little bit, but its still there. The guy that did the balancing told me my front drivers side wheel is slightly bent and so is the rear passenger side wheel. Now my question is.... If I move the drivers side front wheel to the rear, will it not shake as badly? or should I just fix/replace the two bent rims? or will the rear shake like the front did? Anyone know how much it is to repair rims?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Best bet is to replace both oof them. or go to a wheel repair shop. Prolonged riving on unblanaced wheels can lead to more severe suspension damage.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
well really now,...... lets be realistic....

as long as the bend is not DRAMATIC.. IE: Tire Losing air.....?

then a small vibration from a bent wheel is HIGHLY unlikely to cause "severe suspension damage" from driving on it over any length of time...

you will probably feel less vibration if you rotated the bent front to the rear so al lthe vibration is coming from on end of the car... i personally HATE it when the Steering wheel shakes or vibrates... i can tolerate much more a slight vibration or buxzz coming from out back.... but you really want to get them fixed as soon as it is practical...

I am in the same boat right now ... my AVS model 5's are pretty bent up... one has Two good sized bends & the others all have at least a slight ding.... so i will be taking them in for the same fix pretty soon!

good luck...

FYI look for a place that does "SPEED BALANCING' ON THE CAR....

this is the BEST way to correctly balance a wheel and totally eliminate ANY vibration not due to a bent wheel or what not...

hard to find a shop that does this tho......basically they have a small electric motor with a roller to the wheel.. they jack the car up a bit and then push up ge tthe roller to contact the wheel & start it.. . it spins the wheel up to hi speed on the car & you INSTANTLY can tell if there are any balance issues at all..... this is the best way to get a truely balanced setup ON your car Vs balancing them off the car & then having a tiny issue in mounting affect your ride....

NOTE/TIP when a wheel is bolted on... oft times it can be EVER SO SLIGHTLY off center no matter if you have Concentric rings & coned Lug nuts.... this can lead to slight vibration....one way to avoid this at home when popping off & on wheels & tires, is to make sure to spin the wheel when tightening the lugs the last turn or two...before the lugs are tight, when you are putting lug nuts on, get them finger tight then spin the wheel by hand.... as it spins it naturally self centers better if the lugs are not too tight (again, they need to be just about finger tight plus a qtr turn) ... then turn each lug slightly in a star pattern to help them evenly lock the wheel down in the center of the hub... this will make sure there is no "mounting issue" causing or compounding your vibration issue...

·
Bugaloo
654 Posts
edgy said:
FYI look for a place that does "SPEED BALANCING' ON THE CAR....

this is the BEST way to correctly balance a wheel and totally eliminate ANY vibration not due to a bent wheel or what not...

hard to find a shop that does this tho......basically they have a small electric motor with a roller to the wheel.. they jack the car up a bit and then push up ge tthe roller to contact the wheel & start it.. . it spins the wheel up to hi speed on the car & you INSTANTLY can tell if there are any balance issues at all..... this is the best way to get a truely balanced setup ON your car Vs balancing them off the car & then having a tiny issue in mounting affect your ride....

NOTE/TIP when a wheel is bolted on... oft times it can be EVER SO SLIGHTLY off center no matter if you have Concentric rings & coned Lug nuts.... this can lead to slight vibration....one way to avoid this at home when popping off & on wheels & tires, is to make sure to spin the wheel when tightening the lugs the last turn or two...before the lugs are tight, when you are putting lug nuts on, get them finger tight then spin the wheel by hand.... as it spins it naturally self centers better if the lugs are not too tight (again, they need to be just about finger tight plus a qtr turn) ... then turn each lug slightly in a star pattern to help them evenly lock the wheel down in the center of the hub... this will make sure there is no "mounting issue" causing or compounding your vibration issue...
Great info..Thanks +rep

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
onyxaltezza said:
Best bet is to replace both oof them. or go to a wheel repair shop. Prolonged riving on unblanaced wheels can lead to more severe suspension damage.
Maybe not "Severe suspension damage" but it CAN affect thre "luxury level" of your car... over time excessive vibrations can start to loosen up rattles and creaks you normally wouldn't hear.

Once they're shook looose... you've got a rattle forever unless you can somehow dismantel your car and figure out what it is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts