Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, timing belt work turned out great. The car is well back together and running better than ever.
I do still have a problem though thats been going on since I bought the car earlier this year. When accelerating from a dead stop, I have a quick wobble vibration feeling from the rear. Only happens in 1st gear or 1st to 2nd. Also there is a delay from a dead stop when I apply gas like the transmission engages 1 sec late. Reverse feels jerky backing up on a incline. I took the car to Lexus and the master tech told me its a issue that can't be easily diagnose unless the part at fault just simply fails.

Just wondering did anyone else have this issue before I take the 'drive it til it breaks' advice lol.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Ok, timing belt work turned out great. The car is well back together and running better than ever.
I do still have a problem though thats been going on since I bought the car earlier this year. When accelerating from a dead stop, I have a quick wobble vibration feeling from the rear. Only happens in 1st gear or 1st to 2nd. Also there is a delay from a dead stop when I apply gas like the transmission engages 1 sec late. Reverse feels jerky backing up on a incline. I took the car to Lexus and the master tech told me its a issue that can't be easily diagnose unless the part at fault just simply fails.

Just wondering did anyone else have this issue before I take the 'drive it til it breaks' advice lol.
Check your motor and tranny mounts. Then check your driveshaft. Other than that it will be in the rear suspension. Like a bushing or something else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your motor and tranny mounts. Then check your driveshaft. Other than that it will be in the rear suspension. Like a bushing or something else.
Sorry, I wasn't able to check because we preparing for Hurricane Dorian. I would just like to add that when I put it in gear and cruise without applying gas on level ground, the vibration comes and goes like its a hot spot. Does this in reverse also.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't able to check because we preparing for Hurricane Dorian. I would just like to add that when I put it in gear and cruise without applying gas on level ground, the vibration comes and goes like its a hot spot. Does this in reverse also.
Points me toward driveshaft issues. Just check out the stuff I said.

Stay safe from the weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be computer related as well. Try cleaning or replacing the MAF sensor. Could affect the amount of fuel the engine needs
I did cleaned the old MAF sensor and also replaced it with my currently new OEM one dealing with misfires months ago. No change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I was able to look at the car some.

The engine mounts appear fine. Transmission mount looks a bit rough but don't look terrible. Probably change it for the heck of it. Center Drivershaft Bearing looks and feels good. Bolts was tight and the U-Joints have no play or leakage. The Driveshaft have slight play at the entrance of the Transmission and Differential. Idk how much play is normal but I do hear a clunk by the Transmission while turning the Driveshaft back and forth.

I let the car idle while in the air. I have Open Diff. The wheels was moving opposite directions but one thing I noticed the wheels would slow down at a hot point at the same time then go back normal repeatedly. When the slow down is reached I hear a thump at the spot I heard the clunk. the Diff moves a bit up when this happens.

Any more insight from the symptoms I'm having?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Ok so I was able to look at the car some.

The engine mounts appear fine. Transmission mount looks a bit rough but don't look terrible. Probably change it for the heck of it. Center Drivershaft Bearing looks and feels good. Bolts was tight and the U-Joints have no play or leakage. The Driveshaft have slight play at the entrance of the Transmission and Differential. Idk how much play is normal but I do hear a clunk by the Transmission while turning the Driveshaft back and forth.

I let the car idle while in the air. I have Open Diff. The wheels was moving opposite directions but one thing I noticed the wheels would slow down at a hot point at the same time then go back normal repeatedly. When the slow down is reached I hear a thump at the spot I heard the clunk. the Diff moves a bit up when this happens.

Any more insight from the symptoms I'm having?
If the diff is moving a bit I would look at those bushings.
As for play at the tranny. Are you talking in and out or side to side? It also sounds like your gears in the tranny may be worn. This can effect it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yep check them diff bushings. Two on the pinion ears and the two on the subframe. It’s not too bad of a job to do all four but I recommend an air chisel otherwise you’ll be sawing and hammering to get the old ones out. Air chisel will knock them loose in no time. If you end up doing the job, watch the subframe-diff bushings. Those are filled with dampening oil that gets everywhere and stains your clothes.

The 1-2 clunk is normal on this car. Mine did it stock and it still does it now with different transmission/driveshaft/diff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the diff is moving a bit I would look at those bushings.
As for play at the tranny. Are you talking in and out or side to side? It also sounds like your gears in the tranny may be worn. This can effect it.
Side to side. Does this in the diff and tranny. I think its normal but didnt know if the clunk at the tranny was normal during the side by side movement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep check them diff bushings. Two on the pinion ears and the two on the subframe. It’s not too bad of a job to do all four but I recommend an air chisel otherwise you’ll be sawing and hammering to get the old ones out. Air chisel will knock them loose in no time. If you end up doing the job, watch the subframe-diff bushings. Those are filled with dampening oil that gets everywhere and stains your clothes.

The 1-2 clunk is normal on this car. Mine did it stock and it still does it now with different transmission/driveshaft/diff.
I will check again to be sure and maybe get some pictures and a video of the stuff I see. It looks like something is slowing the wheels down then loosens up every 2.5 seconds. Which is causing the movement in the diff. I will pay more attention to the diff and driveshaft when this happens and share my findings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
zKabi
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing