Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very, very disappointed with my Volk GT-C rims. I spent the money on these wheels because they are forged and very good quality. However, after less than 10,000 miles of mostly highway driving, and not hitting a single pothole, three of my four wheels are bent. Two of them are bent badly, and cannot be repaired. They are only 18" wheels and I'm running 40 profile tires. With the driving I've been doing, there is no way these wheels should be ruined. Yes, I consulted Wheel Medic which is supposedly the best in wheel repair, and they said there is nothing they can do for me.

What would you do in this situation? I don't think insurance comprehensive policies cover this, do they? I would call Volk, but I can't find a US contact number for them... only Japan. What I would like is a replacement set of wheels. I am even willing to pay cost for them, I'm not trying to get something for free. Do I have a chance of getting some resolution, or do I need to just suck it up and buy a new set of Advans?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not quite that bent, but it is definitely visibly bent. They are just slightly better off than that wheel pictured. The reason it can't be repaired is because of the chrome lip. When they heat it to reshape it, the chrome will be ruined. This is how it was explained to me.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
okwiater said:
It is not quite that bent, but it is definitely visibly bent. They are just slightly better off than that wheel pictured. The reason it can't be repaired is because of the chrome lip. When they heat it to reshape it, the chrome will be ruined. This is how it was explained to me.
I thought the rims had a polish lip. Take a look at this shop, it's called www.rimpro.com. They re-true rims without heat. Heating metal is a little risky because you can change the composition of it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
okwiater said:
I am very, very disappointed with my Volk GT-C rims. I spent the money on these wheels because they are forged and very good quality. However, after less than 10,000 miles of mostly highway driving, and not hitting a single pothole, three of my four wheels are bent. Two of them are bent badly, and cannot be repaired. They are only 18" wheels and I'm running 40 profile tires. With the driving I've been doing, there is no way these wheels should be ruined. Yes, I consulted Wheel Medic which is supposedly the best in wheel repair, and they said there is nothing they can do for me.

What would you do in this situation? I don't think insurance comprehensive policies cover this, do they? I would call Volk, but I can't find a US contact number for them... only Japan. What I would like is a replacement set of wheels. I am even willing to pay cost for them, I'm not trying to get something for free. Do I have a chance of getting some resolution, or do I need to just suck it up and buy a new set of Advans?

Volk rims are very strong... i bet ur PSI in ur tires are WAY too low. I have Volk GT-C... and I drive over pot-holes like a madMuthaFuker.... it has been almost a year and over 40k miles... no bend or any sort of flaws.... I have 35 and up PSI in all 4 corners.

check urs

sOlo

·
Registered
246 Posts
okwiater said:

Volk rims are very strong... i bet ur PSI in ur tires are WAY too low. I have Volk GT-C... and I drive over pot-holes like a madMuthaFuker.... it has been almost a year and over 40k miles... no bend or any sort of flaws.... I have 35 and up PSI in all 4 corners.

check urs

sOlo

·
Registered
246 Posts
okwiater said:

check urs

sOlo

·
Registered
246 Posts
okwiater said:

check urs

sOlo

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I keep 36 in all 4 corners. At times it has dipped down to as low as 32, but that should still be fine.

Once again, I haven't driven over any potholes. I have no idea why this would have occurred, but I am upset.

Does anyone know if my comprehensive insurance might cover such things?

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
okwiater said:
I keep 36 in all 4 corners. At times it has dipped down to as low as 32, but that should still be fine.

Once again, I haven't driven over any potholes. I have no idea why this would have occurred, but I am upset.

Does anyone know if my comprehensive insurance might cover such things?

go find a fucked up city street, and then call the city with a quote!

David

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Try to purchase new bells (the dish part). I've never heard of someone doing this, but if your wheels cant be fixed, I'd look into it. Try contacting people like JIC 3SGTE, Peter @ www.wheelexperts.com, Wheel Options, or GS4Will over at clublexus.com just to name a few. They might be able to help. Good luck

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i'm not sure how bent your wheels are, but one of my wheels (19" advan kreuzer v's) were bent pretty bad. another had a big chip out of it from hitting a curb. i sent them to wheels america and they fixed both wheels for 99$ each. they came back looking brand spanking new. you may want to see if you have a wheels america in your state and see what they say. they have a website, not sure of the addy tho. do a google on it. good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
okwiater said:
What would you do in this situation? I would call Volk, but I can't find a US contact number for them... only Japan. What I would like is a replacement set of wheels. I am even willing to pay cost for them, I'm not trying to get something for free. Do I have a chance of getting some resolution, or do I need to just suck it up and buy a new set of Advans?
Contact the company that you bought your wheel from and tell them your story. If the company is not willing to help then call Mackin 562-946-6820. I doubt that either company will believe your story but you never know. You might want to ask people that have Advans about thier quality. I think you will find more complaints of cracking and bent rims than you will find with people who own Volks.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Your wheels just doesn't bend without you knowing it. Someone must have took your car without you knowing and drove the crap out of it. running up driveways and speed bump like a SUV.

When I bend my rim.. BAM!!!!! .. you know it. "DAMN.. I think I just bend my rim.!!"

anyhow. I took it to this place. took about 3 weeks but the fixed it. They say the put it to a press to straighten it out. they won't show me how they do it tho. Trade secret? but it is fixed. at $60 with tire mounting. $90 to $120 if the rim is really bad.

Mag Masters Custom Polishing
(714) 541-9777
1419 E Edinger Ave
Santa Ana, CA

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My local discount tire fixed my curb damage but I'm not sure about bent wheels. Sorry to hear that the wheels are doing that to you when you hit a pothole. I have hit several but my wheels seem to do fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I wonder if all Volks in high heat do bend, cause of they do, then I'm screwed :cry: Sorry to hear about yours

1 - 20 of 24 Posts