Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come Toyota design the Is300's engine so tight ..even the lexus mechanic finding a hard time remove the engine oil filter(they even called is300 is the pain on the a$$)...so it must be extremly difficult if ppl want to put a turbo inside the engine and want to change the timing belt in the future?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most Japanese engine bays are very tight, or at least they appear so. Sure, the IS300 could have a larger bay, but you'd lose that agressively raked front end. Which would you as an owner prefer? Easily accessed oil filter or the aggressive style? I think you can see why Toyota chose the latter.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
if you think the IS300's bay is tight, you should see some other cars. like the nissan 300zx or the mitsubishi 3000gt. now that's tight. as for the toyota mechanic having a hard time getting to the filter, it's in the same place as the supra, the GS300, and the SC300...it's not that bad. i think maybe that mechanic never worked on any "really" hard cars. he's had it too easy or something. all i know is i've been changing my own oil on the supra and it ain't half as bad as a lot of other cars i've worked on.

ask him if he knows how to replace a cam in an RX7...if he says "yeah"...then he's full of s***. heh...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop
90 Integra
86 Corolla GTS (AE86)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - the IS300 is not bad at all.

There is quite alot of room over the exhaust manifold to fit a turbo installation.

They did make the oil filter a little hard to get to though.

Look in the engine bay of an Audi S4...

·
Registered
816 Posts
The IS300's engine bay isn't that cramped. Check out the engine bay of any 2nd and 3rd generation Integra and "cramped" takes on a whole new meaning. I mean, I couldn't find space to mount a stereo fusebox.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Nope, I mean the 2.0L inline four (the "good" Altezza engine
). Either way, they're both smaller than the 2JZ-GE.

[This message has been edited by JW (edited November 05, 2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing