Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:
I've been using this site since I first bought my car (2002) and never needed to post because all my answers are found with the "search" function, but now I need some help.

I have an '01 E-shift, bone stock, 62K miles, all service performed on time at dealership - never had any problems until about 6 months ago. My car intermittently "misses" - meaning that when the A/C is on, and I'm stopped in gear, either forward or reverse, my car feels like it's going to stall. This is only for a split second, then feels perfectly normal again. It has never stalled, but feels like it wants to. Does not occur while the car is in motion. Has been brought to the dealership 3 times and can never be reproduced, although both my wife and I are really frustrated (as is the dealership - they think I've about lost it). I'm about ready to trade the damn thing in for something else, but I just love it want it back to normal.

Thought it may be bad tank of gas, but it has been going on for a long time. Thought it may be dirty MAF, but dealership says no (if they even checked it at all). All filters and fluids are clean and replaced - new plugs about 2K miles ago. Suggestions? All are appreciated....

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
clean the MAF sensor yourself with an electronic's cleaner.
check for loose vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
kraze8 said:
What he said...furthermore dealers are retarded. My car does this from time to time, but b/c I have CAI and I live on a dirt road, my filter gets clogged more often. But it only happens in the cold, humid morning.
GL with it though...

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
PM Lextech1, he might be able to clarify your issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
kraze8 said:
when my car did this once befor i had a vac hose off.......this may be something real simple that the dealership may always overlook.....most of the guys not all of them that work up there just know how to plug in to the car and run a check not actually work on a car or have an idea of trouble shooting.....

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
well, I havent had to many people complaint of this type of problem, though it could be many things. here are just a few things to quick check. youve check some of them already, but ive got a couple questions.
Did the dealer do the plugs? Factory spark plugs right?
did you recently detail the engine bay or drive through deep water? water loves to pool down in the sparkplug tubes.(between the two cam covers)
How does the throttle plate look? carbon buildup at all? if so use carb cleaner or similar product and clean throttle body and plate.
Are you using premium fuel? Youve mentioned you already tried switching gas stations right?
I assume by the previous posts, you have already double checked all vaccume lines running to the intake system correct? (any serious vaccume leak or incorrect line should have thrown a code by now anyway)

Most of the things I've (and others) have mentioned would cause a more consistant problem than you describe.
Can YOU reproduce the problem consistantly? if so have the service manager or technician sit in the car with you while you produce the problem. this way they will know exactly what your complaint is, and how you get the car to do it.
Im sure the problem is fixable, and if you like the car, dont let a small hickup like this send you hunting for another car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lextech1: some answers....

Dealer replaced plugs at 60K service with factory replacements....
no water lately (in fact, it's mostly been a drought this summer)....
haven't detailed engine bay in over a year....
never anything other than 93 for me....
and the real kicker - has never thrown a CEL.

I know man, it's a bitch. I'd call BS if someone else had this same complaint. wife picked it up from dealer today - they never noticed anything. She drove it to meet me at the gym, and started to crap out again after her workout. I'll check everything out that you mentioned ASAP. And thanks for sending a response, and a really good one at that. will drop you a PM when I figure it out....

Dr. B

·
Premium Member
23,115 Posts
Dr. B said:
wife picked it up from dealer today - they never noticed anything. She drove it to meet me at the gym, and started to crap out again after her workout.
I carry my digital camera (with video function) in my car. Might want to try catching it on camera one time if the dealership can't recreate. Not sure how effective it would be but better than nothing right.
:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts