Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i dont know much about it but it calims to add 25% more ho THATS A LOT and if it could be used on the is300 that would be awesome also do you think that it can be used with an apex si unit that would add tons of hp

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
It absolutely does NOT add 25% power. In fact it's worth exactly 0% additional power. All it does is make it seem like you're pushing the pedal down further than you actually are, which gives the illusion of more power. Once you reach a certain point on the throttle pedal (say, 80% down), you are essentially at WOT and if you go past that 80% position, it will change nothing because you'll still be at WOT.

This is probably the biggest waste of money out there.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
hmmm... had a friend that has it on his integra LS and he swears by it... Says it's one of the best mods he's done and that he actually hung with a turbo'd integra in a race... I dunno

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: jdogg ]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
rriiiiigghhttt! that is just a typical honda owner for you, talking smack out of their ass.
it is junk and a gymick, don't waste your $.

Originally posted by jdogg:
hmmm... had a friend that has it on his integra LS and he swears by it... Says it's one of the best mods he's done and that he actually hung with a turbo'd integra in a race... I dunno

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: jdogg ]

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Damn, Jdogg is a honda owner?

·
Registered
250 Posts
After checking out their site and reading the installation instructions I had almost convinced myself that it could have some value on certain cars (mechanical throttle body linkage) by allowing them to think they were at WOT earlier and therefore go open loop (CAFE requirements be damned full speed ahead - I know that the Ford and GM units do this / no idea about Toyota). In a throttle-by-wire car, assuming they use the TPS as control loop feedback (just an assumption - anybody know for sure), I would suspect this would make throttle input quirky at best.

Adjusting the MAP/MAF a little is a pretty common tuner practice.

Terry

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by TSoich:
After checking out their site and reading the installation instructions I had almost convinced myself that it could have some value on certain cars (mechanical throttle body linkage) by allowing them to think they were at WOT earlier and therefore go open loop (CAFE requirements be damned full speed ahead - I know that the Ford and GM units do this / no idea about Toyota). In a throttle-by-wire car, assuming they use the TPS as control loop feedback (just an assumption - anybody know for sure), I would suspect this would make throttle input quirky at best.

Terry
A 5-star explanation sir!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
nah, i meant his bud with the integra.

Originally posted by VVTIS:
Damn, Jdogg is a honda owner?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
toyota does use that for feedback and does go to open loop at WOT, but thinking that the car was at WOT, when it really wasn't would only cause it to run overly rich, which can drown out low end torque, in probably take away power. do you think?

Originally posted by TSoich:

Terry

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by IS300GTE:
toyota does use that for feedback and does go to open loop at WOT, but thinking that the car was at WOT, when it really wasn't would only cause it to run overly rich, which can drown out low end torque, in probably take away power. do you think?

Precisely, just another reason to get an SAFC instead.

·
Registered
250 Posts
IS300GTE wrote:
Sure seems like that would be the case if they advance it too early. I suspect/hope that they actually just apply a gain function to the signal and don't just toggle between closed and wide open. It could be made even worse if this signal is an input to the valve/flapper that shortens the intake runners. That type of system is typically controlled by RPM (or I think I read that Toyota uses manifold vacuum) so it might not be a factor there.

What confuses me most is how this would work at all in a throttle by wire car. If there is closed loop control between calculated throttle position (presumably a function of pedal position, speed when cruise control enabled and input from the trac control) and measured position as indicated by the TPS I just don't see how this could possibly work. If it isn't really closed loop and the TPS is just used for rough position (idle/closed, tip in, open, WOT) and they get it into WOT engine management mode at part throttle (assuming you were not on your way to WOT anyway in which case you get this advantage for fractions of a second) then there may actually be a little bit there. WOW - now that is a THIN argument. I am still firmly in the highly skeptical camp on this one.

While we are on this topic - can anyone give an authoritative review of how the IS300 throttle-by-wire works? Do they use the throttle plate instead of an idle air bypass valve since they 'appear' to have control over the throttle plate position? Or do they only have the ability to damp throttle input? Is cruise control integrated into the system or is it stand alone?

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Damn str8 im a Honda owner (look at the sig d00ds) VVTIS is just mad cause i beat him in a race, right d00d...
j/k

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Yea, I asked you to let me get it out of park first but you just sped off, thats wrong~!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ROFLMAO!!! Thats the funniest thing i read all night!!! You make me laff d00d

On a more serious note...
How are them springs d00d? Looks tite, I bet. Can't decide if i wanna keep the stock shocks or not... DAMMIT

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I dont know, but it does get expensive if you don't do it your self. The bilstiens are pretty stiff, not to harsh though, I can tell the difference, the road is easier to feel. I like it, it gives you the
"race car" feel. It depends if you will try to install yourself or not.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Im thinkin i'll pay to get my springs installed... then when i get my shocks, i'll do it myself... i dunno tho

1 - 16 of 16 Posts