Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been researching turbos and intakes, and there are several mentions of K&N when velocity stacks are discussed..

my understanding of a velocity stack is something that keeps tha air flowing in the intake, something that causes the hissing noise to come from ur intake even 1-2 seconds after you shut off the engine cuz of the constant air flow..

i also understand that its incorporated into the custom made AFE filters that SRT utilizes in their intakes..

so what is this thing and how does it work to keep air flowing so constantly and smoothly?

im hoping for an answer from edgy and sophie as well as many others! :p

-Aaron

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
have you tried googling this??? i'm sure there's tons of articles on something like this...using velocity stacks is actually an old technology...we used to use them on carburated muscle cars way back in the day...

anyway, i'm pretty sure if you google this you will find what you're looking for...good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did google, all i found was mustang forums and stuff that the links didnt even work anymore cuz they were so old lol. but yeah its really confusing and just wanteed to know how it worked on OUR INLINE 6's. thanks!

-Aaron

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I had one on my 2002 corvette, didnt notice anything at all. it looks like a plastic wrist band that fits in your throttle body(at least it does for the corvette) and is supposed to smooth out airflow. click the link to see one for the vette, never seen one for the is300. IMO not really worth the money unless your dealing with FI
www.vararam.com

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Hmm think about this: What if the SRT intake used that idea when coming up with their tube design (pretty much size)? I mean why did they go to a 3.5" if the 2.75-3" with SAFC tuning will net the same power? Now at the connection b/n the SRT pipe and the Throttle body, seems the rubber coupler does the function of the velocity stack. Kind of a built in velocity stack. Just compare to the one on the vette site above.....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
i always thought velocity stacks died a while back with independent throttle bodies, but y'all are right, they are used on turbo's but i still rarely see them make a diffence on NA applications that aren't like said earlier ITB's.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
kponti said:
Hmm think about this: What if the SRT intake used that idea when coming up with their tube design (pretty much size)? I mean why did they go to a 3.5" if the 2.75-3" with SAFC tuning will net the same power? Now at the connection b/n the SRT pipe and the Throttle body, seems the rubber coupler does the function of the velocity stack. Kind of a built in velocity stack. Just compare to the one on the vette site above.....
While that may perform some function of a velocity stack, i doubt that was their intention because it just happend to be that way. if that was true and it really provided a gain then there would be a difference in power between the SRT and the other brands with SAFC. but there really isn't sooo either we've reached the limit as to how much air the 2JZ sucks in in NA form with just bolts on's or it really doesn't do much.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
SLayerS said:
Did you get your filter yet...? :lol:

:lol:

Too bad the AFE's have them built in already so I dunno how "custom" he thinks he is going to get from them

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
While that may perform some function of a velocity stack, i doubt that was their intention because it just happend to be that way. if that was true and it really provided a gain then there would be a difference in power between the SRT and the other brands with SAFC. but there really isn't sooo either we've reached the limit as to how much air the 2JZ sucks in in NA form with just bolts on's or it really doesn't do much.
Note velocity stacks arent designed to increase HP gains ;)
its there to increase area under the curve when the car is not moving as much air in the lower RPM.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
kponti said:
Note velocity stacks arent designed to increase HP gains ;)
its there to increase area under the curve when the car is not moving as much air in the lower RPM.
Although don't alot of people say that they really don't notice a gain at part throttle, and i think i heard a few complain of some low end losses. I guess i should have been clearer. Or there is the possiblility that the type of incorporated velocity stack makes the SRT intake driveable with it's overly large piping. that one just hit me too.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
Although don't alot of people say that they really don't notice a gain at part throttle, and i think i heard a few complain of some low end losses. I guess i should have been clearer. Or there is the possiblility that the type of incorporated velocity stack makes the SRT intake driveable with it's overly large piping. that one just hit me too.
That was what I was getting at. I have the SRT intake and after 2 weeks of driving with it I cannot say I lost much in lowend. When I first put it on, YES the lowend felt weak. But the car adjusted part throttle fuel trims and the low-end seems to be right where it was with my old Joe Z+TRD filter setup. In the process I lost some of the earlier crisp feel that the SRT had when I first installed it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Velocity stacks are typically on ITB's (independent throttle bodies) and turbos. You don't see them on normal intakes typically.

Why don't you just take the filter off and flare your pipe out to like 6" ?

Also, what's your obsession with intakes?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts