Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 IS300, five speed, and my speedo was jumping around on occasion, finally showed the P0500 (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and so I ordered a new VSS, had the old one replaced, and the speedo wouldn't move at all with the replacement installed.

Figured the replacement was defective, swapped back the old one, no code but still the needle jumping around on occasion and not working (cruise control also out) so I guess some life still left in the original VSS.

Took a while to find, but I ordered another replacement (part code SC414, Vehicle Speed Sensor for a Standard Transmission 2002 Lexus IS300).

While waiting for it to arrive, speedo finally died altogether, and the P0500 finally came back on, of course.

Found out today that the new replacement VSS, which arrived yesterday, also doesn't work -- needle just doesn't move at all....

So, getting kind of frustrated now.

Is there some magical special VSS I should be ordering?? The ones I ordered were both from reputable online vendors that list the part (SC414) as a replacement to the stock OE VSS.

Lexus has one, of course, for double the price. Is this a part that has to come from Toyota/Lexus?

Anybody else had any experience in replacing a VSS -- did you have to order one through a dealership, or did you find one online?

Also, could it be something else??

I mean, it seems like my OE VSS started going out, and finally died, so, with the CEL code also, seems that it's time for a new VSS, but I don't get why a replacement VSS doesn't work at all....unless, as I say, the ones I am ordering don't work because of some part issue requiring a part from Toyota. I don't want to order a $300 VSS from Lexus only to find that I am still having the same problem....

I asked several vendors, who all agreed that the replacement part is the same as the OE part, and should work, and I've taken it to a few shops who also aren't understanding why the replacements aren't working.

I thought the first one was maybe defective, but it doesn't seem likely that two parts, from two different vendors, are both lemons.

So I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks much! I appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
el sensor no está dañado ... verifique el cableado... la señal del sensor de velocidad no está llegando a la ECU eso es lo que pasa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts