Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of a feature called VSC?
Is it optional feature in IS300 (2001)

I checked in Lexus site (2004) I could'nt find anything like that.
But my friend says that lexus has some slid control feature apart from
LSD and Tractional control.

Anyone has any clue?

-K

·
Registered
416 Posts
i bought my 2001 IS used and it has vsc and lsd. the guy that i bought it from gave me the original invoice and i think that the vsc was listed on there like it was an extra option. i'd have to double check when i get home later.

·
8,827 Posts
VSC was NOT AVAILABLE for 2001 model!
Do not confuse Traction Control and Vehicle Skid Control.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i don't know about that. i'm 99% sure that i saw VSC on the window sticker/invoice from when my used 2001 was bought new. i will try to remember to check it tonite and repost.

·
8,827 Posts
^^^^
I am 100% sure VSC was N/A for 2001 model.

·
Registered
416 Posts
when i think about it, i remember that i only put vsc in my sig because i saw it on the sticker/invoice. i didn't even know that you could get vsc until i saw it on there.

so why would it be listed if it was never offered for the 2001 model?

·
Registered
416 Posts
i'm not trying to spread false information. i said that i was going to double check the original invoice for my car when i get home and repost in order to verify what i said. if my invoice doesn't say vsc on it then i'll post as such and correct my previous post. if it does then i'll be really confused.

in the meantime you don't have to flame me. i never said that it was definitely on my invoice. i said i was 99% sure. i'm a newbie...maybe i saw it on the lexus website and thought that i saw it on my invoice by mistake. excuse me for being human. i'm not trying to discredit the veterans on this board by disagreeing because i thought i saw something. i never said that i was 100% sure. you guys know a lot of random shit about the is300. i'm on this board because i'm trying to learn myself.

you were all once newbies too... :p

·
8,827 Posts
cwhite124 said:
you were all once newbies too... :p
Yes, and we all knew there was no VSC for 2001 model. :lol:
Of course, there was only one model at the time.

·
Registered
416 Posts
well, i stand corrected...i checked my invoice and there was no vsc on it. i apologize to all of the .net veterans out there for insulting their intelligence. one day i will hopefully shed my newbie status and will know all kinds of random things about every is300 or altezza or is200 that was ever put on this planet...until then i will hide my newbie head in shame...damn "clueless" newbies :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for replies

Thanks for all your replies.
Lexus added VSC as a response to BMW's features (I forgot the abbrev)
It basically applies brake in case of slid. (LSD will only tray and give enough torque to handle the slid)

Anyway, one of my friend who own BMW 3 showed-off that feature ;-)

Thought I will verify in the group.

Thanks again
K

·
8,827 Posts
^^^^
Clarification:
VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) applies 4 brakes in case of a slid (See Lexus.com for more details).
BMW's DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) essentially does the same thing.
Traction control applies brakes and cuts throttle if the drive wheels loose grip in order to regain it.
LSD (Limited Slip Differential) transfers torque from spinning wheel to the one with most traction. Unlike the above, it is a mechanical device and can not be turned off.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes, yes. The VSC is nice. Yes, I own it. And no I don't have a 2001 model either :D

I've had it kick in quite a few times when hauling around corners and it kind of freaks you out the first time it takes over your car. The only thing I don't like is that you can't turn it off. It's a great option though, I think, if you're getting an E-Shift. Go ride in someone's car that has it. Check it out if you're thinking about buying it as an option.

I also had it kick in once on the highway at about 75mph when 3 large boards came out from under a Dodge Ram... weren't his, he just managed to straddle them and take them under his big truck. They actually belonged to a semi trailer about 2 miles up the road I later found out, who was stopped and re-securing his damn lumber. ANYWAY, 3 boards, like 2x4s about 4 feet long, sitting at all kinds of angles... no way I'm going to be able to take these under my car, so I go to swerve and brake out of the center lane to the right, and I start to lose the back end, whatever, the VSC starts beeping and took over my driving, and the car gripped the pavement again and shot straight off like an arrow. Fantastic.

A car full of people next to me saw the whole thing happen and looked like this :eek: :crazy: :shame: :lol:

·
8,827 Posts
dela said:
Keep in mind that 5-Speeds don't have VSC either, no matter what year. They do, however, have TRAC.
And Clutch! :D :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.