Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize that VDIM is the bane of existance everyone who plans on tracking their car. But for those of us who still like aggressive cornering etc on the open public roads.. I'm thinking it really may be a good thing, that's based on how far it let me go, before intervening at the Taste of Lexus.

The current VSC is truly a pain, becuase it allows so very little, so most people I think would turn it off altogether, but then if one REALLY pushed the car too hard, they could lose it. With VDIM, you can still push out the tail a bit, but have the assurance that the car won't let you get crazy--while on a public road. Of course this is Lexus' intention. But when you really think about it, it makes sense.

My true question is how much further does VDIM let the car go, vs. say BMW's when DSC is turned on? My cousin had an '01 M3, and says he got plenty of fish tailing before his DSC kicked on, so unless he wanted to REALLY let it go on an open road full of switchbacks, he always left DSC on.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
VDIM is the bane of existance period...any undefeatable "driving aid" on a performance machine, or even a luxury car pretending to be a sport sedan is an anathema. Imagine if Dodge put one of these nannies on the Viper. I think a "totally off" setting should be included.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
CRB said:
VDIM is the bane of existance period...any undefeatable "driving aid" on a performance machine, or even a luxury car pretending to be a sport sedan is an anathema. Imagine if Dodge put one of these nannies on the Viper. I think a "totally off" setting should be included.
Thats nice how you put the IS350 in the same league as viper, its flattering but the IS350 is not a Viper and doesnt pretend to be one. The viper is an ultra-sports car, mind you it has no luxury in it. The IS350 is a car trying to blend sports with luxury. For the vast majority of buyers it is a great system. Michael is right. It allows them to take a confident car like the IS and have a great driving experience, with nice cornering and quick turning, yet it also gives them the satisfaction of knowing they have the car watching out for them incase they make mistakes, because face it most of the idiot kids who drive their cars hard don't know what their doing. VDIM for the majority is a great program.

Yet I do believe they should have an On/Off Switch.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't disagree CRB, it should ALWAYS be up to the driver's discretion. That said, I suppose there are some younger drivers who THINK they're better than VDIM, who could benefit by the system's permanence. I'm just saying that for most of the driver's out there on the open road, who don't care about tracking or continuous drifting, they'll get enough tire burning even with VDIM and still have a little safety while they're at it. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Michael said:
I've actually yet to hear someone complain after driving a VDIM car, that it was too preventative.

Well I have not driven an is350 with vdim yet but I have driven a hybrid highlander and i tell ya what I can still spin the tires ((gotta love 2 engines tons of torgue)).

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
when i visited the toyota factory and their showrooms in japan all of them featured VDIM as the newest hi-tech safety feature and even had simulation rides with it.

as a safety feature, being able to turn it off completely would make it useless when you need it in a real emergency. who's going to think "quick, turn it back on!" when the accident is about to happen?

let's say, turning off airbags saved 50lbs of weight. people would always turn it off then, and it won't work when needed.

bottom line is, i think most people are interested in safety these days and i'm sure they'll continue to make the systems less intrusive as time goes on

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think that VDIM is a great safety feature, and certainly helps tame insurance premiums. Surely, given the power of the 350, a more passive stability control system would've sent insurance rates through the roof, and you'd likely see a lot more ISs getting into car crashes. Yes, I understand that it hinders driving pleasure and deters the true enthusiasts from even considering the car, but the vast majority of Lexus's target audience isn't into autocrossing. It's a business decision on their part: turn away a few hardcore performance enthusiasts and attract a bunch more luxury/sport enthusiasts who value this safety aid. I doubt they spent tens of millions of dollars developing the syste, just to piss people off. Try driving the car in snow with 18s (without awd), with that much power. Surely, it would've been no problem for them to provide an off switch for VDIM, but then Lexus would become notorious for being useless in adverse weather or even aggressive driving. Didn't BMW develop a reputation for being absolutely useless in the snow/wet? I think that's why they came out with DSC - which isn't as good (or as bad - depending on how you look at it) as Lexus's VDIM.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
any computer control of the car is for girlies who cant drive in the first place.

-my honest opinion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hasanazhar said:
I think that VDIM is a great safety feature, and certainly helps tame insurance premiums. Surely, given the power of the 350, a more passive stability control system would've sent insurance rates through the roof, and you'd likely see a lot more ISs getting into car crashes. Yes, I understand that it hinders driving pleasure and deters the true enthusiasts from even considering the car, but the vast majority of Lexus's target audience isn't into autocrossing. It's a business decision on their part: turn away a few hardcore performance enthusiasts and attract a bunch more luxury/sport enthusiasts who value this safety aid. I doubt they spent tens of millions of dollars developing the syste, just to piss people off. Try driving the car in snow with 18s (without awd), with that much power. Surely, it would've been no problem for them to provide an off switch for VDIM, but then Lexus would become notorious for being useless in adverse weather or even aggressive driving. Didn't BMW develop a reputation for being absolutely useless in the snow/wet? I think that's why they came out with DSC - which isn't as good (or as bad - depending on how you look at it) as Lexus's VDIM.
Finally, a voice of reason. I was beginning to think I was the only logical one here. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
you don't buy a 40k sports sedan so you can go fishtailing in public roads. chances are you will get a ticket if a police officer was nearby. i have yet to see an is350 owner complain about vdim. the ones that are here nagging are all talk, act like little kids who can't distinguish between driving on public roads and driving at a road course event. lexus didn't produce the is350 so you could prove you are the cornering/drift king on the streets. and yes, lexus is telling you what you can and can't do w/ vdim. 99.99889% of the world's everyday drivers would agree vdim = a very good thing, and is nothing bad at all.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
chado said:
when i visited the toyota factory and their showrooms in japan all of them featured VDIM as the newest hi-tech safety feature and even had simulation rides with it.

as a safety feature, being able to turn it off completely would make it useless when you need it in a real emergency. who's going to think "quick, turn it back on!" when the accident is about to happen?

let's say, turning off airbags saved 50lbs of weight. people would always turn it off then, and it won't work when needed.

bottom line is, i think most people are interested in safety these days and i'm sure they'll continue to make the systems less intrusive as time goes on
I think what most people have in mind when they ask for an OFF switch is to have the ability to turn it off when once or twice a month let's say that get on an empty road and they have craving for some corners. By all means I don't think they would drive it with it off all the time, saying that I"m sure there would be some people that would drive 100% with it off, but most of us would have it on. Just look at the tract control on IS300, I drive if with it on most of the time. But there are just those times that I turn that sucker off and let it rip and have some fun. Are we asking for too much here? I think not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
blame the stupid drivers out there for making lexus decide on not having a vdim-off switch. is350 owners will just have to live with it, boo-hoo.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ya, I would only want an off switch at the track. I have an off switch in my current car and I never touch it unless I'm autocrossing or something. I don't reallyc are that the IS doesn't have an off switch - I'd just rather it have slightly less anemic steering feel, but eh, what can you do.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
How can you argue against an off switch? let me kill my self. Like trac I leave it on 99% of time.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Sentinel said:
How can you argue against an off switch? let me kill my self. Like trac I leave it on 99% of time.

well, just make sure you expire at the scene then. no use flooding ERs with more MVAs than necessary! would cost everyone more ultimately

1 - 16 of 16 Posts