Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is it normal..

when i start my car in the morning, sometimes the sound and tone of trhe exhaust varies...like it is normal and a normal grumble then it drops even lower for a sec and returns to normal idling tone..sounds like my neighbor mowing his lawn with a push mower....

is this normal for when the car warms up, or is seriously wrong with me engine?

-AARon

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else???

·
Registered
274 Posts
it could just be that the AC or some electronic is turning on. you would never notice it with stock exhaust but with an aftermarket exhaust you can now hear it. do you feel it in the car when it makes that sound, like a shake or something?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
same thing with mine....i turn it on its goes to 1700rpm then drops to under 1000...when i turn my air on...its goes back up again...lol i reved at my brother the other day by flipping the air switch from high to off to high to off...lol

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
when the engine is cold..the idle sounds louder than when the engine is warm/hot...i deal with that every morning

·
Registered
274 Posts
i know this is a stupid and off topic questions but how do I write up my car description at the bottom of the page?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
When ur engine is cold...the rev is actually around 1200 rpm or so...while warm could be around 700-900 rpm. When you start your car cold, the engine is using more gas to try to warm up the car. Even turning on ur parking lights can change the rpm and tone note. It is normal but after a little while...it should be decending. Turning the a/c while the engine is cold should be a no no. I think it kills ur gas even more. I always wait till the car is warmed up then I mess wid the a/c. For you e-shifters, I would get an engine starter if I were you guys. I believe it is much less time consuming when you have that. I have a 5spd and there are too much liability to do it. Besides, I leave my car in 1st since it is said to help the car a bit which I have no idea how it does lol.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
JAD1217 said:
i know this is a stupid and off topic questions but how do I write up my car description at the bottom of the page?
go to control panel..and click on signature on the left side

Reactions: JAD1217

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well so i guess its normal for the exhaust and rumble of the engine to be way louder than usualy when u first warm up the car in the morning... and that its best to not drain additional power from your car while its still warming up right...so

yes it is normal?
'
even without A/C and stuff on??

-Aaron

THANKS GUYS!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
yup its normal..every morning when i start my car in the garage it seems a lot louder than during the day after ive driven around..just like e12ic said..since its cold it hits like 1200 rpms..but once it warms up it'll go down to 700-900 rpms...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
the wrong tone said:
Maybe when a fan comes on, it drops the revs.
are our fans connected to the engine? i'm pretty sure that our fan(s?) are electric. correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The fans are electric, BUT if you have a intake pipe and your filter isn't sheilded then when the fan kicks in it can mess up the idle by adding turbulence or kinda forcing some air into the intake, although i'd guess that the turbulence would play a much bigger deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts