Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2-month old silver IS was vandalized two weeks ago at UCI. The front and back windows got smashed in by a big rock, and the driver's side got smashed in too. Also there were a few dents and scratches on the hood and fender. They didnt take anything but a stupid parking permit. So it's obvious that it was just plain vandalism.

Anyhow..

Insurance came and looked at the damage. Estimated damage is around $12,000. Fortunately I have comprehensive. My first worry is that the company that's repairing my car will not do a good job, and insurance is going to give me the shaft. Is insurance required to replace everything like it was before? Or are they just going to give me the shaft, and I'm gonna be left with a half repaired car. Thanks everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Try and insist that the car be repaired by a Lexus dealer. I think that some states have laws that prevent insurance companies from just sending it anywhere. Not too sure about CA, but it's worth a shot.

At least you'd have some assurance that it would be done right, cuz the dealer will warrantee their work.

The insurance company will aways find some way to make sure you get shafted though. If they do shaft you, switch companies.

------------------
Perception IS Reality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by H1ghf1del1ty:
My 2-month old silver IS was vandalized two weeks ago at UCI. The front and back windows got smashed in by a big rock, and the driver's side got smashed in too. Also there were a few dents and scratches on the hood and fender. They didnt take anything but a stupid parking permit. So it's obvious that it was just plain vandalism.

Anyhow..

Insurance came and looked at the damage. Estimated damage is around $12,000. Fortunately I have comprehensive. My first worry is that the company that's repairing my car will not do a good job, and insurance is going to give me the shaft. Is insurance required to replace everything like it was before? Or are they just going to give me the shaft, and I'm gonna be left with a half repaired car. Thanks everyone.
twelve GRAND in damage? man, i feel for ya.

seriously...that sucks beyond words
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Originally posted by Almost There:
Try and insist that the car be repaired by a Lexus dealer. I think that some states have laws that prevent insurance companies from just sending it anywhere. Not too sure about CA, but it's worth a shot.

At least you'd have some assurance that it would be done right, cuz the dealer will warrantee their work.

The insurance company will aways find some way to make sure you get shafted though. If they do shaft you, switch companies.

I question your blanket comment that Insurance Companies will always give you the shaft. I work for the largest insurance company in the world as a claims manager and no we do not give our policy holders the shaft.

It always makes me laugh when a policy holder claims that we owe them the world becuase they have been paying their premiums like good little boys and girls. Remember, the insurance policy is a contract (albeit a contract of adhesion), the insured which is you should always read their contract to see what exactly the insurance companies owes you in exchange for your premium.

As to the question at hand. No the insurance company will not screw you. The standard ISO policy which is used throughout the country calls for repairing your veh. with like kind and quality parts. Note the LEXUS IS 300 is brand new. The only parts will be brand new.

12k seems kind of high, but oh well. As for demanding LEXUS repair your vehicle, that is your choice. If the insurance company has preferred shops I would let them choose for you, that way if there is anything wrong they will stand behind the work and repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
i had a minor fender bender back in california 2 yrs ago and I had my es300 back then. i went straight to my farmers representative and demanded that my car be fix by lexus and they said ok. so pls ask your insurance and probably they will let you do the same thing. feel sorry for you man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,168 Posts
ISFAN, are you allowed to say what insurance company you work for? If it is State Farm, then I'm sorry to say, but you are making a blanket statement that your company doesn't screw people over. If your company is that huge can you honestly say that everyone working for your company is as honest as you are? I don't know if State Farm is the largest insurance company in the world, but they are pretty damn big, I think. Anyway, I got into an accident w/ another State Farm insured driver and the way they handled the case was piss poor to say the least. Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
ISFAN,
Insurance companies are a business. They will do whatever it takes within the limit of their contract to minimize their loss. That's expected of any business. Some, and I stress SOME, however, will place an added value on customer satisfaction and realize the long-term benefits of customer loyalty.

H1ghf1del1ty didn't state who his company was, so my response is "generally" correct. As in life, it's the "bad" companies who ruin it for the good ones, as it is the "bad" policy holders who try to claim more damage and cheat the company out of more money (no H1ghf1del1ty, i'm not saying your one of those).

It's the catch 22 that causes both parties to be extra cautious- which again, isn't necessarily bad.


------------------
Perception IS Reality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
2 weeks ago? Didn't school just started then? I remember passing by a Silver IS on the first day of school, and never seen it since.
UCI has been pretty bad lately with crime toward cars. About a month ago there were those Civics who had their rims stolen, and now this? Where at UCI did it occur at? I haven't seen any problem in the engineering parking lots at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Originally posted by HIBBoyScott:
ISFAN, are you allowed to say what insurance company you work for? If it is State Farm, then I'm sorry to say, but you are making a blanket statement that your company doesn't screw people over. If your company is that huge can you honestly say that everyone working for your company is as honest as you are? I don't know if State Farm is the largest insurance company in the world, but they are pretty damn big, I think. Anyway, I got into an accident w/ another State Farm insured driver and the way they handled the case was piss poor to say the least. Peace.
No I do not work for State Farm. There is a difference between customer service and adhereing to a contract. It is your responsability to read your policy and understand the coverages you purchased and the limit of liability the company owes you.

An insurance company like any other buisness will always look for ways to minimize costs, I.E. contracts with body shops, aftermarket parts. Bottom line is the policy is clear as to what the limit of liability is and what you purchased and are owed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
was it you h1ghf1delty that i warned about parkin i nthe dorms? i remembered tellin someone that it wasnt too safe. i feel for ya though. i only have class TTh so i dont have to make a trip to school everyday. i park my car in an undisclosed location (ill keep it a ssecret so the vandals dont get mine =|) and its pretty safe, i would hope. good luck in repairing your car. hey, lets get all the UCI IS owners together or something for a day and show UCI that it aint all about civics and integras.. haha...

mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Since we're on the insurance subject again.
I got a quick question for ISFAN.

If my vehicle have been vandalize and the repair quote comes out to be $7,000, but the car is only worth $10,000 and I have no intension of having it fix. Is it possible to have the insurance company make the check payable to me?

thanks in advance.



------------------
why worry, be happy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay the deal with my car:

The windows were smashed in. Millions of glass fragments were all over the seats. Glass got into the CD player slot, and also in the tranny box. The leather was scratched up everywhere because of the glass. They are replacing the leather/escaine off the seats, the steering wheel, and taking the glass fragments out of the cd player. My insurance company is Geico, and they recommended me a place where I could get it fix. The place (Seidner's Collision), has a lifetime guarantee, or so they claim. They assured me that the car was gonna be just like the car I was driving before it got vandalized. They did two estimates, and the total was like $12,100.00 and some change. That's why it costs soo much.

Acuracing:

I know I know. I'm naive. I didn't think it would happen to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
If you decide to get your car repaired (though $12,000 is a lot!) or if anyone needs auto body work go to Anaheim Hills Auto Body on La Palma in Anaheim. I had my bumper repaired there after I found out it had a dent punched in from a license plate bolt from an unknown assailant. Anaheim Hills Auto Body did a fantastic job--that the bumper looks entirely new. They matched the paint perfectly as they contract with Tustin Lexus.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top