Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, been lurking for awhile now but you all have convinced me to purchase my first Lexus IS350. I love it!!! However, I just took it in to get the recall done and now have a few questions. Is there a break-in time or period? Is there a warranty on Lexus' recall work if something was to still happen? Also the car seems alot more sluggish all around. Will everything loosen up and break in over time to give me back some of my robbed power that I feel like is missing? Sorry guys but none of these questions were answered for me at the dealership so I am hoping you guys can help me...

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very noticable!!! I wonder what exactly is going on. Are the parts just new and "tight" maybe they just need to be broken in. At least that is what im hoping haha

Can anyone else chime in on this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just got my car back from the recall yesterday. i didnt notice the loss of power as much or even the sluggish-ness. the only thing i did notice was a slight vibration in the accelertor pedal going up over 80mph. maybe because i bought the car only 2 weeks ago and havent really gotten a feel for it yet? i live in philly and as soon as i got my car back i had to drive 2 hours to harrisburg and it seemed fairly normal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed a difference when i got my recall done about 8 months ago. If anything it felt smoother at high rpms. I didn't notice any loss of power the car is still fast as hell. Warranty is 12 months for recall work. I think the loss of power is probably in your head.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I noticed a difference when i got my recall done about 8 months ago. If anything it felt smoother at high rpms. I didn't notice any loss of power the car is still fast as hell. Warranty is 12 months for recall work. I think the loss of power is probably in your head.
Uh... the valve spring recall didn't exist 8 months ago... are you maybe thinking of something else you had done?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I really don't think so. Could it be possible that they are having other issues and are remapping the ECU's?
No, but they would have disconnected the battery during the work, which resets the ECU to stock parameters (rather than the ones they would have learned based on your driving behavior over time).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If they disconnect the battery are radio stations lost or do our head units remember them? Reason being is mine were not earased.... and if they reset that would eliminate the driving habits suggestion

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm then thats ruled out. Let's say it did reset... But would that really effect the way the car pulls and feels? I wouldn't think so, but if it did how long does it normally take the ECU to remember habits, etc.?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
It learns your patterns of speed, gas and brake inputs, etc... and it adjusts to them...

This is why folks who drive fairly passively and get the ECU reset magically think their car got faster (since the slowish driving style it had learned was reset)

It's possible you're experiencing this in the opposite direction.

Generally 200-300 miles minimum for the learning to have much impact... at 500 it should have a decent clue what you drive like.

But the car is always learning.... if the slowish driver had, instead of resetting the ECU, started driving aggressively, it'd learn that pattern of behavior after a while.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Okay, this is probably a question for Knightshade, but I may also post this in the Canadian forum because I happen to be associated with such a horrendous dealership (just outside Toronto)... but here goes...

I went in about six weeks ago (when I went in to swap my tires) and I asked about recall info on my car. They said because the car was a USA VIN, they couldn't give me the 411, so I called Lexus Canada and of course, the crappy dealership was wrong. So, I made a written complaint to the service manager and I got a call back same day telling me he'd call me in "two days" to let me know.

Turns out, my car has two recalls. Driver pedal and valve spring.

Says he needs car for 2-3 days to do the work. I've read here, that people have had it done in 5 hours.

What on God's green earth will take 2-3 days? I have a Wednesday appointment and he said he "thinks" the car will be ready by Friday, but can't say 100%.

So... what say you? Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I had the recall done a few months ago, they did it and then put 100 miles or so on it to check it before they gave it back. They said no break in required, car runs as solid as day one. I absolutely love this car.

·
Geezer
52,611 Posts
They kept mine overnight for the pedal and brake override job. The recall notice for the valve springs says they may keep it a day or two. Since they give you a loaner car and a full tank of gas, I don't see that as a problem. Mine is going in Mondy for the valve spring recall.

·
Registered
787 Posts
They kept mine overnight for the pedal and brake override job. The recall notice for the valve springs says they may keep it a day or two. Since they give you a loaner car and a full tank of gas, I don't see that as a problem. Mine is going in Mondy for the valve spring recall.
Well, a few reasons actually.

1. I live in a northern climate where I can potentially encounter a lot of snow (and I've got a set of snow tires on mine) and I doubt the loaner will have snows. If I need to be visiting far away clients, this could be a problem.

2. Usually, the loaner is an IS250, non-AWD (see comments above).

3. I asked for an RX or the GX but he said they don't loan GX's and he could not promise an RX.

4. I park in a private lot with a reserved spot, so I'll have to let them know I've got a new car for "x" days so I won't be towed and I will have to let them know again when I've got mine back. This has to be done at the management office "in writing".

So, it is a bit of pain in the rear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts