Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this in Go Faster since people in this section are prob the most likely to know. Anyway I have a spare set of valve covers that I've been polishing and I was wondering if the right angle fitting for the breather hose comes off of the valve cover. This is not the PCV valve, it's the other fitting. I've been thinking of replacing it with an AN fitting (purely for looks) but don't want to go wrenching on it till I'm sure it comes off.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
There should be 2 of them on the back side/end.

You can get yourself a set of snazzy chrome filters to finish it off nicely (not a Go Faster thing).

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
i had heard a while back that use of these filters on the exhaust side was bad. the 2jz spits some oil out of the breather and it will eventually saturate the filter, then it will drip onto the exhaust manifold causing a fire... that's bad

i had heard it happened to several people - but i never did know who these people were.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Good point^ I think there was a video of a turbo IS engine fire that was caused by this very thing (Dan)?

I'm assuming stjarvis is NA. Hence the "not a Go Faster thing" coment...lol.

If anyone is running a turbo, some or alot of blowby will happen. If it happens, a catch can should be used. When pushing 30psi, I could fill a small catch can in only 2 1/4 mile runs.

EDIT: YouTube - C5 Vette vs. IS300 (IS catches fire)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had heard a while back that use of these filters on the exhaust side was bad. the 2jz spits some oil out of the breather and it will eventually saturate the filter, then it will drip onto the exhaust manifold causing a fire... that's bad

i had heard it happened to several people - but i never did know who these people were.
I had the filter on mine for a little while. My motor stayed moist with oil on that side and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I also would see a puff of smoke on occasion from the oil hitting the exhaust side of the turbo. I thought I had a leak from my valve cover. I eventually figured out it was that dam filter that kept spitting oil all over the place.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone :pissed:

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i actually replaced mine with a billet breather made for the EVO guys since they have so much crank pressure. worked out well, solved any oil leaks i had.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I got bored so I went ahead and tried to get the fitting out, it's just pressed in. I picked up a 3/8 pipe to 6an fitting, and now just have to tap it.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, taped it over the weekend, now you know the windage screen or whatever it's called, I need to make sure all the metal shavings are out of there. Anyone have any sugesestions of how to clean that without removing the screen?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts