Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone else actually just reminded me about this in another thread. I know the valet key is used so the "valet" doesnt get into your glove compartment and trunk. But Im sure more than a few have thought about this...if the valet is in your car he can just pull the trunk release by the drivers side. Whats the use? They should have made the trunk release in the glove compartment or at least put a lock on it.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300
Black Onyx/Fully Equipped
Dont start none and there wont be none!

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
In the other Lexus vehicles, the trunk release switch is electric, so there is a disable button somewhere (probably in the glove box). I'm guessing the trunk release in the IS300 isn't electric, so it's either some oversight by Toyota/Lexus or there should be another switch somewhere to prevent the trunk from releasing.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
On my brothers LS400, I saw a keyhole next to the trunk release, so I assumed you could lock it. But thats the LS, I guess this is another thing to improve for the next model year of the IS

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
i think it also limits speed and revs...

Anyone know if there is any truth to this???

Very curious...

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
2000 Razor Scooter w/Wheelie Bar
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

[This message has been edited by LexArkana (edited February 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
You should be able to lock the trunk from opening using the regular key, such that the release lever won't work.

--k

Originally posted by JW:
In the other Lexus vehicles, the trunk release switch is electric, so there is a disable button somewhere (probably in the glove box). I'm guessing the trunk release in the IS300 isn't electric, so it's either some oversight by Toyota/Lexus or there should be another switch somewhere to prevent the trunk from releasing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know about limiting the RPM's (highly doubt it)
But as for the trunk... If you use one of the master keys to lock the trunk (physically putting the key in the trunk) it will disable the release on the floorboard.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Originally posted by ISINCOLO:
I don't know about limiting the RPM's (highly doubt it)
But as for the trunk... If you use one of the master keys to lock the trunk (physically putting the key in the trunk) it will disable the release on the floorboard.
Pretty informative...

------------------
2001 SBM/Black IS300 w/Navigation
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i Titanium Silver w/Black
1999 Ducati SS 750(worked)
2000 Razor Scooter w/Wheelie Bar
1982 Captain America Big Wheel

·
Registered
39 Posts
To disable the trunk release, use a master key in the trunk lock and turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. This will disable the trunk release inside the vehicle.

·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by slodeanis:
To disable the trunk release, use a master key in the trunk lock and turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. This will disable the trunk release inside the vehicle.
Now THAT's good information. THANKS. I thought the only privacy I had was the glove compartment!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? Wow...where did you guys find this information? I have read the owners manual at least twice. I dont remember anything on it. I cant wait to go home and check this out.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300

·
8,880 Posts
You use part of valet key to disable engine-immobilizer when you install remote start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey haven't checked on this yet, but can you lock the pass through? Does this mean I have to place everything at the rear of the trunk for my privacy. When my wife gets home I'll have to check.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The pass thru has to be un zipped in the front and then opened from the trunk by the handle. I love all this information. Thank God for IS300.net What would I do.

Originally posted by RiceBoy:
Hey haven't checked on this yet, but can you lock the pass through? Does this mean I have to place everything at the rear of the trunk for my privacy. When my wife gets home I'll have to check.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried locking the trunk with the regular key and then using the trunk release inside the way you said and....tada it worked. My stuff is safe from valets.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
triz
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing