Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a V1 and am sick of that power cord hanging down. I was wondering if any of you guys have done a hard wire install for any radar detector. If so, can you post instructions on how to do it and possibly some pics? How hard is this install? I am not too experienced with stuff like this but I can probably figure it out if its not too hard. I was thinking about possibly tapping into that homelink thing but I am not sure. I don't want to loose any functionality of anything in the car (map light, homelink, etc.) Thanks guys.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I am a little unclear on what you actually did. I don't need to worry about the concealed display cause I dont have one. Where did you get the power from? It looks like from under the steering wheel? Did you just take the wire up the side pillar and through the top? If so, how do you remove the panels? I have never removed them so that is why I am asking. Thanks in advance.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
GreenLex said:
Hey guys,
I have a V1 and am sick of that power cord hanging down. I was wondering if any of you guys have done a hard wire install for any radar detector. If so, can you post instructions on how to do it and possibly some pics? How hard is this install? I am not too experienced with stuff like this but I can probably figure it out if its not too hard. I was thinking about possibly tapping into that homelink thing but I am not sure. I don't want to loose any functionality of anything in the car (map light, homelink, etc.) Thanks guys.
I dont have pics, but I can tell you where to power and ground the unit.

Remove the driver kick panel, towards the bottom of the fuse box you will see a plug with heavy guage wires. In this plug is a Black wire with a red stripe. This wire is 12V + when the key is on and while cranking the engine. This is your power source! DO NOT USE A T-TAP or I will kill you! Do the job right and strip some of the sheating back and solder.. Now you need a ground. Use a ring terminal and a self tapping screw. Hit any solid metal part in the car. Make sure that their are not wires located behind the metal panel that you are going to damage with the screw. Connect your V-1 wires to these and run to your V1. The detector will now power up with the key. During start the detector will not turn off and back on as you used a true ignition.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
GreenLex said:
Thanks but I am a little unclear on what you actually did. I don't need to worry about the concealed display cause I dont have one. Where did you get the power from? It looks like from under the steering wheel? Did you just take the wire up the side pillar and through the top? If so, how do you remove the panels? I have never removed them so that is why I am asking. Thanks in advance.
These pics aren't mine..sorry

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. That clears up powering the unit but how do I go about running the cables. Does the material on the pillars just pry off? Also what do you do about the roof material, does that pry off too or is it secured with something? I don't want to mess up the interior. What tools do you use to remove these items. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
the A-pillar has a single bolt at the top that is hidden behind the SRS warning badge. You just pry the cover off with a screwdriver, it is held in place with a little plastic retaining strap. There is then a keyed slot on the bottom. If I recall correctly you slide the pillar down and then out. For the headliner it helps if you remove the light and visors, you can then push in the wires. Just a sugestion "lil' IS 300" but you should completely pull off the pillar covers and then route the wires behind the air bag (do not crossover it either) instead of in front of it. If the air bag deploys it will rip out the wires and possibly cause more damage not to mention it could strangle you or something.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 2001 model so I don't have those side curtain airbags. In my case, how would I remove that A pillar cover. I looked around and did not find any screws holding it on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
GreenLex
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing