Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well some background here, my mother in law gave me a new V1 and Concealed Display with band identification

I have to say the steps V1 have gone to on these units is PERFECT. All the items in both kits were top notch.

The concealed display for those who haven't seen them before can be seen here
https://store.valentine1.com/store/

For business i travel up hwy 5 alot and always use my friends v1, so she decided to get it for me. Anyways I had mentioned before that I was sick of people piggy backing off the radar on road trips so the smaller display works like a champ.

HOW I USE THE SETUP.

When i got the unit, i used the smaller display attached to the lighter attachment which worked well but the wiring was a mess all over the dash. I couldn't stand it much longer so about 2-3 days ago I decided to hard wire the car.

Step 1, I removed the center vent area up top. I decided I was going to have about 5 inches of wire come out of the vent area to attach to the v1.

2. Remove trac button area. I decided I would mount the concealed display would be to mount it to the trac area since I don'd have heated seats. This area is also a great place to stash the extra wires since there is nothing in this space except the trac button wires and a extra harness.

3. Remove the shifter plate. In this area I tapped into the cig lighter for the hardwire. NOTE: The wires for power are not RED/BLACK. POS WIRE is Pink and NEG is Black/white. I used a multimeter to determine which was what, but don't base your install off this, do your own testing to make sure.

V1 includes a keg as I call it, has 2 wires coming off of it, one is for the power and the other is a ground. I had to cut the ground loop off and put a bigger eye loop on there for the area I chose to ground with. Once the shifter plate is removed you will see a silver box with 2 gold looking bolts, i used the bolt to the right. This gives off a great ground for the unit. The keg has 2 ports, one is for main power and the other is for the acc units like the concealed display unit. V1 also includes snap velcro for the install.

Ok so how i wired the car. Using the power from the lighter i mounted the keg right next to the ground wire i spoke of above, there is a silver plate which is perfect in size to just stick the keg on.

For the concealed display the wire is like 6-8 feet, I cannot remember, but its way too much, you really only need 2 feet or so. So plug in one side to the keg and run the wire up to the trac area ( all of this will come into play when i post pics) and give a little slack on the wire, wrap up the extra wire and zip tie it off and hide it in the trac area. The reason for the slack is when you push the trac area back into place u want the wire to go tight behind the trac plate. For the wire going to the concealed display i just used some painters tape and taped it to the bottom of the trac tray and left 3 inches to go to the display.

For the wire going to the V1 iteself its almost the same. From the top drop the phone cord down the side of the radio and plug it into the keg under main power. Also there is prolly 3.5 feet of extra wire hanging out, I did the same thing and wraped up the extra after pushing the shifter plate in place and pulled the wire tight. Putting the shifter plate back on is a little tough since you are pushing the rear of the plate against the install wire. A little push and the plate will go into place.

Do a test at this point, make sure you did ground it and plug into power, hook up the V1 and see if it gets strong power. If it does then go ahead and wrap up the top of the wires going to the v1 and i routed out the side of the vent area instead of cutting the felt area like i wanted to. Put the vent area back on and put the felt on, plug in the v1 and your ready to go.

Sorry I didn't think of doing install pictures before, Im thinking of making my own connection wires instead of using the V1 included wires so i can have custom length wires for the car. Wrapping up excess wires really shouldn't be done, but in this case you almost have to.

Pics coming soon of the final install.
PS thanks given to Kanine to answer some of my questions I had on this install.
D

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a picture of how much length of the wire is sticking out.

A closer picture, only about 4-5 inches.

Here is the concealed display unit and the wire, as you can see if it's not plugged in i can push the wire back and never see it.

Display plugged in, The way it works is if the display is plugged in the main V1 units lights turn off but the radar still works and so does the sound, just the display moves to the small unit. Cool at night so 5-O don't see the blinking lights nor do piggy backers.

This picture shows if the display is plugged in the V1 has zero lights on.

This pretty much sums it up, let me know if you have any questions.

D

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
bad ass... i want one too.. tell you mother in law to call me.. im sure theres something i can do to satisfy her needs ;) lol jk

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol if she calls u she will never hang up. Your so soft spoken bro and she LOVES THAT ISH!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
looks good. I did mine like that^^^ but i hate not being able to use my visor so im going to order this mount.

it's made from anodized aluminum and fits nicely under the mirror

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NICE!! :)

I didn't want to go high at all, im not sure I like the radar that high.

looks good though.

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts