Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys and girls. This is my first post on here though Ive popped in and out for awhile now. I totally dig the IS and plan to get one in a year or so, after the initial hype dies down.

Last night I had the chance to see how fast they REALLY are. I was driving on I-20 in my Eclipse 5 speed, when I see HIDs approaching in my rearview. I wasnt sure what kind of car it was til it passed me. It was a black IS sitting on chrome! There was a car ahead of me, so I downshift and go around it on the right. Im almost even with the IS when he punches it and pulls away quickly. I was still in 4th, going about 75 mph, when we both had to slow down because all 3 lanes were blocked by slower cars.

We both slowed down and I got behind him in the far left lane. I shift down to third, at about 55 mph, and wait for an opening. This is the SWEET SPOT in my car's rev range. As soon as I get pass the first car, I punch it and go around the IS. He nails it and we are bumper to bumper, and door to door. I powershift and the IS inches ahead a bit. We are approaching 100 mph and I am closing in on him. I made the mistake of shifting to 5th, and thats when he started to slowly inch ahead of me til I let up in shame.

When he was about 2 car lengths ahead, he tapped the brakes to further humiliate me, lol. My decision has been made; this time next year there will be a black IS in my OWN driveway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, in my car's defense, that my performance is suffering because I made the mistake of filling up with regular unleaded. I will never be so cheap again! My car feels like a slug now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2000 model puts out 205 hp and 205 lbs/ft of torque. 2001 it went down to 200 hp.

best 0-60 Ive seen is Motor Trend; 6.9 seconds, and best 1/4 mile time 15.3 @ 91.3 mph.

Its a good match up against the IS, when running properly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've seen a 3g Eclipse GT run... they'll get up and go... torquier than their predecessor. Its a good matchup, but I would've tipped hats to the GT if all things were equal.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great race story. Had the IS been a manual tranny it would have been a different story. If you're serious about buying one next year you'll be able to pick up one with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think after I run all this bad, cheap gas out and fill up with a tank of Exxon, everything should be all good again. I hope so anyway. When I get my power back, Im going IS hunting, lol

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The current Eclipse is torquier than the 2G in the lower rpm range, but once you get beyond 3k rpm and the turbo in the 2G started to kick in, the new Eclipse will be no match against the 2G Eclipse. However, I do believe that the current Eclipse will last much longer than the 2G, because I had my started to die at 64k miles.
So how do you like your Eclipse so far? I like the interior of the 3G more than the 2G.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean, Daniel. My previous car was a 97 AWD Talon, and it was AWFUL. I went thru 4 sets of shocks, and 2 transmissions, just to name a few issues. Everyone laughed when I got the new Eclipse, thinking I would have nothing but problems. I have put over 40k miles in a year and I have YET to go back to the shop for anything other than maintenance. I dont know if yall have ever heard the exhaust note of the V6, but it is SWEET; deep and burbly like a Supra.

I like my GT, but I want the IS because I am too tall for a coupe. I need something bigger, but I still want good looks and sportiness. I dont think ANYONE can go wrong with the IS.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My was the 96 GSX, basically the Mitsubishi version of your car. I didn't have problem with my shocks (or at least they won't admit it), but I do have my share of problems with the drivetrain. My clutch was replaced once for $1000, the transfer box and fuel tank was recalled, and the gearbox's synchro was giving up the last year I had my car.
I actually heard that the new Eclipse is one of the best buy or recommended car from consumer report or something. Very surprising giving the record they had.
You won't go wrong with IS, it is a very nice car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm a previous Mitsu owner...had a 97 Eclipse Spyder GST. The thing I loved about Mitsu's was that they were so easy to make em go faster. exhaust and boost controller already would make a big difference.

After those simple mods I caught the speed bug and kept going..soon I had installed 16G turbo, egt, afc's, and boost controllers, front mount intercooler, upgraded fuel system, etc etc. I was hitting consitent mid 13s at the track...in a fwd convertible mind you.

but after those mods and hard driving it became expensive to maintain the car. then problems here and there would creep up. i.e. loss of boost, blown or loose intercooler pipes, tranny and clutch problems, etc etc. man my car spent more times on racks then at the track.

I think I've learned my lesson and will take it easy with my IS300.

The new 3rd gen Eclipse is nice and more relaible now that they took the hair drier off the car. But the beauty of the 2nd Gen was that it was so easy to make go faster because they already had boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You and Daniel are both right; it was very easy to make an already fast car even faster. The problem lies in the reliability AFTER the upgrades. The new model is selling like crazy even though its not the rocket it used to be. I read that Dec. 99 was the highest sales month for the Eclipse EVER.

Is the IS selling as expected?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sweet, someone on here has a 3G also

I agree with everything you said as for your race. My friend is a Lexus dealer and has an auburn sky demo. We had a speed contest one night on a deserted stretch of interstate. I was surprised that I spanked him in just about everything except a 50 m.p.h. roll on. I held him off from 0-100 easily, but after 100 Im not so sure since Im sure the IS has superior aerodynamics.

Both great values in their own classes.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the new eclipse gt's are dogs. they're decent in acceleration and probably faster than the IS, but with the weight of the v6 the weight balance has really suffered and the car handles like a piece of shiet

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am red Mitsu GT Eclipse GT owner, hoping to be the owner of an yellow 5-speed IS /w nav system next year. Shout-outs to my fellow 3G owners-soon-to-be IS owners! The thing that I love about this car is the engine: especially the exhaust note. I drive with my windows down just to hear it. Blip the throttle a few times, and pesky pedestrians walking against the light in downtown Chicago part like the Red Sea... it's great! However, that car NEEDS tires that are stickier than the current stock ones to help manage it's rather hefty curb weight of 3100 lbs. The IS would be a good blend of performance and comfort that I am looking for in an automobile (okay.. price too). Looking forward to next year!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Whats up Matt! Glad to see yet another 3G owner. Youre so right about that exhaust note; it's intoxicating
Ive had people at my complex complain about me coming thru late at night. I just shrug and laugh it off, lol.

Im hoping that Lexus will at least do the same thing to the IS; its just a little TOO quiet to be a sports sedan. It should sound more like the GS3

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yuck. exhausts suck =) if it were up to me, i'd get the least restrictive exhaust system i could, but i'dg et a silencer for it. i don't like having a real loud exhaust note, i'd rather have my engine tell teh story

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by IIIseries:
Whats up Matt! Glad to see yet another 3G owner. Youre so right about that exhaust note; it's intoxicating
Ive had people at my complex complain about me coming thru late at night. I just shrug and laugh it off, lol.

Im hoping that Lexus will at least do the same thing to the IS; its just a little TOO quiet to be a sports sedan. It should sound more like the GS3
Hey ! SUP IIIseries! It's funny, after YEARS of people zooming through the alley behind where I live, I have my car for a few months, and suddenly speeds bumps are installed.. I agree, I also wish that the IS sounded a little more agressive, but I guess there's always after-market methods of improvement!

MrClam: So if you were the owner of a F355, would you drive around with ear-plugs then? I hope not! Exhaust notes on cars are *GREAT*!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The new Eclipse GT V6 should be quicker than the IS from a standstill or below 100. At high speeds, say over 100, the IS300 should take the GT due to the IS's better aerodynamics and higher top end. The IS should outhandle and out-break the GT though.

All in all, great cars in their respective classes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO, a low-pitched growl from the exhaust is fine, but just not too much that you can't hear anything else. I'll agree with mrclam...I'd rather hear the engine sound more (like the engine working towards redline). Just because the exhaust is loud doesn't mean the car is fast (ie, some riced-out Civic DX or something). In a porsche, NSX, or even a ferrari, you do hear quite a bit of engine noise, and not just it's exhaust.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
Daniel
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing