Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know lately, I have been talking about 2JZ-GTE swap. I have a question for those who has V160 and R154 Tranny.

How much is V160 VERSUS R154?
If I put 2JZ-GTE, can I use the stock 5 speed manual tranny?

Thank's guys!

Arseto Wijaya

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Depends on where you find them. Dont know about the V160 because I have not had any luck finding one yet. I do know that you can get the R154 tranny sometimes for $350 and up.

Yes, the 5-speed would bolt up to the GTE, but it wouldnt last long.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
They are not that expensive. But as soon as word gets out that people are beginning to do this swap, expect prices to rise.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
ITP said:
They are not that expensive. But as soon as word gets out that people are beginning to do this swap, expect prices to rise.
Are you serious, the R154 tranny is that cheap? Man, I should go to a junk yard and look for one. I hope TBKO can get the pieces for the swap ready by next spring.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Oh, Jeff is already on top of things :wink:

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
TBKO's R154 swap is already on my "to-do" list...

Yes, Jeff is already on top of this subject 8)

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
that trans does not come with the correct bellhousing so that it fits to the 2j block

the bell housing is $500, and has to be imported

a used japanese trans is about $750 to $1000, so its 6 in one hand, a half dozen in the other

all in all, expect to spend around a 1000 for the trans itself

-gte

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
B2001AS said:
So, R154 is strong enough to handle 2JZ-GTE engine????
It has nothing to do with the engine- if all you did was change out the block, rods, pistons from GE block to GTE block, you'd be fine. Hell- I'm only pushing 350rwhp. If I swapped out my block to the GTE block, I'd still only be pushing 350rwhp, maybe even a LITTLE less, do to heavier internals and lower compression. It has everything to do with how much torque your engine produces. If your setup produces more than 450 ft*lbs at the flywheel, then prepare to say goodbye to your transmission before too long.

-Chris

·
Registered
266 Posts
doublins said:
B2001AS said:
So, R154 is strong enough to handle 2JZ-GTE engine????
If your setup produces more than 450 ft*lbs at the flywheel, then prepare to say goodbye to your transmission before too long.

-Chris
It's even less than that. I was at about 350rwhp and 380lb-ft when mine went and I wasn't driving the hell out of it either.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Stock 5-speeds aren't built nearly as strong as the stock E-shifts. Push more than 250-300 ft-lbs and you'll probably say goodbye to your tranny in less than a year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts