Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I honestly think it's because of my custom transmission mount being so damn stiff against the chassis but who knows.
I'm starting to think that's the cause. I don't have anything solid-mounted but do have stiffer durometer rubber mounts on the engine and transmission.

Bump for anyone else with this noise... ?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The noise in mine is pretty near identical - I have V160, triple plate Os Giken, TRD trans mounts, Megan engine mounts. 100% certain that I have clearance everywhere around the transmission and nothing is touching. My transmission was up/down 5-6 times modifying tunnel clearance.

Typically you hear that the single mass noise once under load or higher rpm won't be there as pulses are closer together... bla bla bla... but I'm not convinced. The engine 'feels' smooth at idle or lower rpm just as higher rpm...

Similar thread on MkIVSupra.net and their 30,000post guru Chris Wilson saying it's normal on a Supra even low load. Our single piece driveshafts on these swaps would likely not help matters for us either

New triple plate clutch rattles while driving/ under load engaged..?

Anybody actually run a dual mass flywheel + V160 IS and compare against single?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Bumping up this thread since I was searching for transmission mount noise.

My W55 is making the same noise now that I installed a Megan Racing solid rubber transmission mount. The tranny sounds really loud, almost like I have solid mounts in there (more so at idle). The gear whine is still there, not any worse than the stock mount.

I do have a one piece flywheel with a sprung pressure plate.

I'm contemplating putting the stock mount back in.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts