Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Knowing the V160/1 is a noisy transmission, I just wanted to compare sounds between other owners with a single mass flywheel... when cruising.

You can hear the noise in this old video at 0:03 to 0:08 pretty well:
https://youtu.be/I19JV9Yf2oM

Basically, when second gear engages the noise comes on with throttle.
I mainly hear it in 5th or 6th gear just cruising.

...Off throttle, sound goes away.

Anyone else notice a similar cruising noise? Can you post a video?
I'll post an updated video soon-ish-ly
edit: Posted.

...should note:
Definitely gear box noise.
New Megan engine mounts.
New TRD trans mount.
No clutch drag.
Shifts like butter.
No vibration.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This might be a side note but the v160 are known to whine along with the W series transmission. Alot of supra owners on the forums get jacks transmission to rebuild them to eliminate said noise

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ yeah, that too. The whine is a problem sound though. Like, the owner bashed the crap out of it and rarely (or never) replaced the gear oil.

I'm hoping to compare the inherent noise associated with cruising on a single piece flywheel.

·
Registered
577 Posts
What brand and model is your clutch? Same with your flywheel, and the weight? I can hear a lugging noise on my engine once I replaced the dual mass flywheel with a single mass, it mostly happens at low speed though.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RPS Billet Twin Carbon. I opted for the steel flywheel. No idea the weight.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The flywheel sounds fine, I bet it's the clutch. Twin plate clutches make an absurd amount of noise, so IMO this is probably your problem. I watched the video but it's hard to pick up on the noise.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I'm hoping to compare the inherent noise associated with cruising on a single piece flywheel.
Typically single or dual mass flywheel doesn't matter once you're driving. It's when you're sitting there in neutral that you tend to hear the gears clacking together.

My BMW used to sound like the transmission was broken sitting there at idle with the clutch out. The pulses from the inline 6 causes the gears to clack against each other. Once I was actually driving, it just sounded like a normal transmission.

RPS Billet Twin Carbon. I opted for the steel flywheel. No idea the weight.
Once you're driving along, I'm not sure how the clutch could add additional noise. Noisy when engaging and disengaging, sure once it's fully engaged, what would be loose enough to make noise?

Do you just have standard tranny and engine mounts and rubber diff mounts? Solid or stiff mounts can deliver all sorts of noises into the chassis.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The flywheel sounds fine, I bet it's the clutch. Twin plate clutches make an absurd amount of noise, so IMO this is probably your problem. I watched the video but it's hard to pick up on the noise.
Definitely not the clutch. It has it's own fancy sound.
...also, it's not a problem :lol: Just Getrag noise. :lol:

Typically single or dual mass flywheel doesn't matter once you're driving. It's when you're sitting there in neutral that you tend to hear the gears clacking together.
That's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure. I guess that's why I'm more interested in the cruising noise because everyone seems to have the idle noise.

Once you're driving along, I'm not sure how the clutch could add additional noise. Noisy when engaging and disengaging, sure once it's fully engaged, what would be loose enough to make noise?

Do you just have standard tranny and engine mounts and rubber diff mounts? Solid or stiff mounts can deliver all sorts of noises into the chassis.
Yeah - Definitely not the clutch. No way, no how.

I'm not trying to diagnose it but you're probably right again that it's due to the Megan engine mounts and TRD transmission mount. Diff mounts are still stock although I do have the Figs ones sitting around somewhere.

So I picked the car up today and took another quick video:
This is in 5th gear about 50mph. Windows are up. Tires are pretty quiet too so the majority of the sound, believe it or not, is the transmission. I let off the throttle at about 0:07 and back on throttle at 0:10

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Kinda sounds like bearing noise. Only happens while accelerating though.

I've seen cases in the past where worn out rear axles can cause noise and pulling in one direction or the other too.

I wonder if your transmission is touching the tunnel underneath? Transmissions move around under load so, maybe it's not normally touching but when you accelerate it's just enough movement to contact the sheet metal. It's pretty tight under there.

My AR-5 touches and I know the V160 is bigger than it.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Kinda sounds like bearing noise. Only happens while accelerating though.
It's hard to describe. Almost like a gear is rubbing the housing... or something. Doesn't happen when climbing gears though. Only when cruising.

I've seen cases in the past where worn out rear axles can cause noise and pulling in one direction or the other too.
What part of the axle? My axles are original but the diff was rebuilt with toyota bearings, seals, crush sleeve, pinion nut and gears.

Next time I have the car in the air I'll recheck for trans to chassis rub evidence. It's definitely a tight fit but last I looked it appeared there is plenty of clearance.

So are we saying this is an issue? I thought it was just the sound of the trans and wanted to compare with other owners :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm getting a similar noise with my car when cruising in higher gears (4 and 5) but not on decel only on slight acceleration. I have a stock r154 and fx850 twin disc though. It doesn't do it all the time but it sounds just like that in the video.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an R154. I am IMMUNE to transmission noise.
:lol:
Have a video?

I'm getting a similar noise with my car when cruising in higher gears (4 and 5) but not on decel only on slight acceleration. I have a stock r154 and fx850 twin disc though. It doesn't do it all the time but it sounds just like that in the video.
Can you post a video as well?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
So are we saying this is an issue? I thought it was just the sound of the trans and wanted to compare with other owners
I don't think it's a fatal problem. It sounds like something is touching the chassis under load. On my car, on the right hand side of the tranny about mid-way up the tranny, there's a spur that just contacts the transmission tunnel.

I was wondering if it might be the driveshaft. Does it vibrate as high speeds?

What fails on the axles is the inner CV joints. I have a pair here from an IS that had a TT setup in it and the right inner CV seems to bind a bit.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zero vibration @ 130mph.
Sequoia drive shaft. Balanced with new Spicer u-joints.

The entire drivetrain is basically new :lol: It's definitely an internal sound from the gearbox.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just a thought. How long ago did you change the oil. Could be something loose or worn in the transmission that resonates at a steady speed but not acceleration. Just an idea

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a thought. How long ago did you change the oil. Could be something loose or worn in the transmission that resonates at a steady speed but not acceleration. Just an idea
About 10k miles ago. The trans was built by Jacks but has made this noise since installed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So here's my attempt at replicating the noise. This is 4th gear cruising at about 40 or so and you can hear the noise when quarter to half throttle is applied. I honestly think it's because of my custom transmission mount being so damn stiff against the chassis but who knows.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. You aren't kidding. Nearly identical sound. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts