Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a repost of a problem I have selecting first gear on my v160. I can get into first if the car is moving but not while at stop. I did some research a few years ago and this seemed to be a unique issue to the v160 installation in the is300? Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I have some things i could try but I dont want to piss money into the wind.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
I had this same problem on my 95 toyota truck. It might be because your clutch cylinder is worn out. I took my truck to the tranny shop and they coudn't seem to tell me what was wrong. Does it get worse as the car warms up/ after you have been driving for a while?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this same problem on my 95 toyota truck. It might be because your clutch cylinder is worn out. I took my truck to the tranny shop and they coudn't seem to tell me what was wrong. Does it get worse as the car warms up/ after you have been driving for a while?
Did they ever fix it? hmm not sure if it gets worse I cant get into first at all cold or hot unless the car is moving.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
With my truck it got worse as you drove it. If the truck was cold it was fine but as soon as I was driving it would not go into first. I would have to shift into first on a roll before I stoped. The guys at the shop could not figure it out. Everytime they test drove it they said it shifted fine. they suggested replacing the master clutch cylinder if the problem continued. I have not drove the truck for sometime so I don't know what's up with it now.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Henry had issues similar to that as well.
It was difficult to get into 1st gear. He didn't get a chance to find a solution.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Did you purchase your V160 new or used?
How many miles before the problem started?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
This is a repost of a problem I have selecting first gear on my v160. I can get into first if the car is moving but not while at stop. I did some research a few years ago and this seemed to be a unique issue to the v160 installation in the is300? Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I have some things i could try but I dont want to piss money into the wind.
Wow thats wierd i never had that issue. Mines felt and shifted like stock. Did you make sure the shifter has NO play and no slack? Is it tight on the shift linkage? You have to make sure that there is no give when moving the shifter around it has to be precise. Also synchros can be taking a doodoo.

Reactions: azn4life

·
Registered
474 Posts
Wow thats wierd i never had that issue. Mines felt and shifted like stock. Did you make sure the shifter has NO play and no slack? Is it tight on the shift linkage? You have to make sure that there is no give when moving the shifter around it has to be precise. Also synchros can be taking a doodoo.

lmao he's right that the synchros are taking a doodoo :lol: i was having the same problem with my 5 speed saturn SL1. couldnt get it out of gear from neutral sometimes and it gets really bad after an aggressive shifting or hard stop ;-) it was my fault tho cause i power shifted ever time i drove the darn car and i was averaging 4500 miles a month on the car but yet the clutch still felt and operated like new ;-)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tranny was used. The issue started when it was first installed and got worse

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Tranny was used. The issue started when it was first installed and got worse
Check what i told you about the linkage and loose things. If not you have to take it down an take it to a reputable tranny shop.

Reactions: azn4life

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check what i told you about the linkage and loose things. If not you have to take it down an take it to a reputable tranny shop.
ill do that, i dont know much about the tranny swap so im not sure where too look

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Make sure the clutch is releasing all the way. Is the master/slave cylinders all in good shape? Try bleeding it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure the clutch is releasing all the way. Is the master/slave cylinders all in good shape? Try bleeding it.
hmm I believe it is I can get it into second fine just not first. Im assuming the master/slave are in good shape. What would be some symptoms if they werent?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
could the clutch disanagage enough to seperate the engine from the tranny but not enough to select first? is that possible? I need to give this some attention

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
My car likes to pop out of first when I start moving...If I put the car in first while I am in motion it will never pop out...it only pops out of gear when I put it in from a stop...Is this the same problem you are having?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My car likes to pop out of first when I start moving...If I put the car in first while I am in motion it will never pop out...it only pops out of gear when I put it in from a stop...Is this the same problem you are having?
yup exaclty the same thing happens to me.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
^^^then always put it in first right before you stop...then you will never have that problem of popping out!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
could the clutch disanagage enough to seperate the engine from the tranny but not enough to select first? is that possible? I need to give this some attention
Very very possible. I ran into this when my slave cylinder wasn't snugged down enough and it started to get some play where I wasn't getting the last 3-5mm of actuation.

Just enough to have a tough time getting into 1st gear but every other gear worked dandy.

Do you have the IS master or supra master cylinder?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is300. Where is the slave underneath? I will take a look.

Very very possible. I ran into this when my slave cylinder wasn't snugged down enough and it started to get some play where I wasn't getting the last 3-5mm of actuation.

Just enough to have a tough time getting into 1st gear but every other gear worked dandy.

Do you have the IS master or supra master cylinder?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I wonder if the IS master has enough volume to fully actuate the supra slave since this seems to be a common problem? Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts