Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 26th edition of 'the Scoop' mentions Toyota's plans to put a V12 in the LS to better challenge its German rivals.
Wouldn't it be a better idea to add a Supercharger to boost performance like the M5 or E55??
Frankly, besides the gobs of torque, I don't see the point of putting V12s in a car.
What's up with Audi/VW?? They're moving on to 16 and 18 cylinder engines in the Bugattis. Are you guys nuts??

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't trust "The Scoop".

Toyota has no plans of putting a V12 in the Celsior/LS430. They feel that a V12 has an inherant roughness that goes against their history of providing one of, if not the smoothest car on earth. Do look for a supercharger though.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Weren't you the one who kept saying that Toyota should drop a V12 into their cars to compete with the other exotics w/ V12s? What made your change you mind?

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited November 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
No, Stephen, not you. Your post came out as I was typing mine. I didn't quote hasanzhar because your reply wasn't there when I hit the post reply button. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think it is possible Toyota will drop a V12 engine into the LS to make it a LS500 in order to compete against those German car companies because all of their top-line sedans use engine bigger than "just" a V-8. MB has 6.0 V-12 and BMW has 5.4V-12 and the biggest engine Lexus uses is only 4.3V-8 only right now(not including Japan market). Sure, probably a V-12 is superfluous, but still it is possible in my opinion. As far as supercharger, I don't think it is possible because Lexus is famous for smoothness and quietness, so they all use naturally aspirated engine with at least 6 cylinders. No matter how good the supercharger is designed and produced, it would add a little noise to the engine and Lexus probably don't want that. AMG benz are differnt because it is designed to be high performance, a supercharger lexus is only possible for aftermarkert or a so called type R version of any lexus model, at least I think so.

·
Registered
258 Posts
No, Toyota has no future plans of dropping a V12 into the LS. For one thing thats a very limited market, and the LS430 is already faster than the 750iL and will probably be neck and neck with the S600.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some magazines in Japan have stories out that a famous German tuning company (I forgot the name) is going to make a limited edition of LS with the 5L V12 engine. I think its going to be a Europe only model. No details were mentioned, yet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
v12 has protential to be smoother than current v8.

but i doubt they are going to make it. For one, the asia tax system is based on the displacement. It would make the road tax sky high for this car in Japan. And i doubt they will just drop a v12 engine for North America market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts