Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace the Tires on the IS 250 RWD. I bought the 18'' rim package from the dealer. I don't race.

I am wanting to just put 225/40/18's or 225/45/18's on all tires to get the following benefits:

PROS:
1. Easier Rotation/replacement options
2. Longer Tire Life
3. Lower purchase cost due to smaller rear tires.
4. Marginally Better MPG and acceleration due to smaller tire footprint (less friction) and lower tire weight?

CONS:
1. Slightly less traction due to smaller rear tire footprint (easier to burnout).
2. Slightly less grip going around hard turns due to smaller footprint.
3. Less heat dissipation due to less overall rubber.

Has anyone used a thinner tire for the rear and if so what were the results? Did you notice any difference during hard cornering or anything at all? Assume I am keeping the tire diameters the same. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
It's time to replace the Tires on the IS 250 RWD. I bought the 18'' rim package from the dealer. I don't race.

I am wanting to just put 225/40/18's or 225/45/18's on all tires to get the following benefits:

PROS:
1. Easier Rotation/replacement options
2. Longer Tire Life
3. Lower purchase cost due to smaller rear tires.
4. Marginally Better MPG and acceleration due to smaller tire footprint (less friction) and lower tire weight?

CONS:
1. Slightly less traction due to smaller rear tire footprint (easier to burnout).
2. Slightly less grip going around hard turns due to smaller footprint.
3. Less heat dissipation due to less overall rubber.

Has anyone used a thinner tire for the rear and if so what were the results? Did you notice any difference during hard cornering or anything at all? Assume I am keeping the tire diameters the same. Thanks for everyone's input.
If you don't push the car hard I doubt you'd notice. You'd lose some traction on the rear tires.

Where in the US are you? I'd take the 18's off of you if you were close.

Reactions: Chigger
1 - 2 of 2 Posts