Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was originally deciding to go with the srt stage 2.75 kit but for various reasons (mainly budget) i started to consider other kits. $6,000 is a little high for my taste right now (esp considering the shipping costs down here in hawaii)

so i looked at the turbonetics kit for about $5000 shipped and installed locally. that was perfect since i can only allot $5,000 for the project right now. but getting to the matter at hand. my installer/tuner called me up today saying he has a used srt kit for sale. guy's only asking around $4,000 for it. only has 12k on the kit, about 3k on the turbo (previous owner before him replaced the turbo prior to sale) not only does the $4,000 include the kit, but a full 3 in. exhaust setup as well, plus a boost controller.

pros: original kit desired at a fraction of the cost + more equipment

cons: i will be the third owner, i'm also new to the F/I world and i'm not too sure what to look for other than shaft play. although i will be having my tuner and original owner of the kit look over things before hand, i'm not so sure if i should go with it or not.

any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
an SRT Stage 2.5 Kit just sold here in Seattle for $2500, and it was supposedly in great condition.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
great deal either way on the srt kit,(make sure its a srt kit) but honestly your gunna need more money that what your expecting, especially since your new at FI. i'm not trying to lead you the wrong way or nothing. its just expensive. little stuff adds up.

its good to have a extra credit card justtttt in case

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Talk to SRT guys they're helpful even when its not new :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's why i'm leaving an extra $2,000 to use for 'oh shit' money =P
haha i know that's not even a whole lot (especially with what we do)
but i guess it's better than nothing.

also, i'll eventually upgrade the clutch, tranny, and internals as well so everything will run a lot better.

but thanks for the input guys! i really appreciate it.
any other opinions would of course be greatly welcomed :)

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
that's why i'm leaving an extra $2,000 to use for 'oh shit' money =P
haha i know that's not even a whole lot (especially with what we do)
but i guess it's better than nothing.

also, i'll eventually upgrade the clutch, tranny, and internals as well so everything will run a lot better.

but thanks for the input guys! i really appreciate it.
any other opinions would of course be greatly welcomed :)

$2000 for oh sh!t money? make that about $7000 and you're playing ball

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
$7000 for oh sh*t money? Really? even if your running low psi and around 300rwhp?

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
back in the day it was said that you need at least 10k in the bank to boost an IS properly to the point that it is worth keeping. i concur with this theory, but you could say i am old skool. been boostin since 04

there have been many arguments of people boosting on a budget, they typically don't hang around here very long, either we drive them off or they never made it work.

i am sure it's possible to happilly boost for less than that but crap is going to break - you can't put 75% more power through a car and expect it to hold everything just fine. mounts go out, turbo might go out, trans might go out, clutch will go bad, your tune sucks and you blow your motor, now you don't have a car.

there's lots of "what if's" but if everything goes your way (it hasn't gone my way) then you could probably do it.

i think there is one guy non here that pieced together a kit and got it all to work - i am pretty sure he put a hell of a lot of time in it though.

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
7k for oh shit money is a little rediculous. :lol: At this point, people should know what they are getting into. If your tranny is weak, don't push it beyond its limits.
How do you say?? $7k is definitely not to far off from what you should have to be safe. Your tranny isn't the only thing that can break. You could have catastrophic engine failure with any amount of boost.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yea the variation in price scares me to go boosted as well. I'm finally slowely saving money for boost and it seems like i might have to go as far as 12g before i feel safe playing the game. Truthfully i would hold off on the used kit. You're saving 2g but the kit isn't going to be brand new. You're going to have to get new gaskets and track down all the parts. It's just to much headache unless it's a killer deal. Good luck with your build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts