Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, my father plans on unloading his GS400 in December. It's got GPS and everything else. The note is six grand ahead of retail. Any of you Lexus owners, i.e., Eric, would you grab this car or wait for the IS. I can buy this car for about 30k.

'98 GS 400, loaded, ~65K miles in Dec. 00. ~$30K.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited August 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'd take the GS although the mileage might be a bit high? the gs is like a bigger version of the IS in my mind...it looks smooth too :p

·
Registered
978 Posts
65,000 miles in 3 years? Dang that's a lotta miles...

What color is it? I've always been a big fan of the GS, but the IS 300 is such a sweet car. Tough decision, but I'd go for the IS 300.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silver w/ black leather. He always puts a lot of miles on his cars but they are immaculate.

Originally posted by SpectraBlueIS300:
65,000 miles in 3 years? Dang that's a lotta miles...

What color is it? I've always been a big fan of the GS, but the IS 300 is such a sweet car. Tough decision, but I'd go for the IS 300.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, manual all the way.

Originally posted by Juggaknot:
think about it the IS is pretty and it's brand new. u getting the 5spd if u get IS right?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
A buddy of mine might be interested. In addition to the GPS, does the car have HID (optional in 98'), as well as the spoiler and the 17inch wheels (if so are they Chromed?).
Eric...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes HID and 17's, No to the spoiler and chrome. But E, you didn't advise me. What do you think?

Originally posted by EricK:
Brad,
A buddy of mine might be interested. In addition to the GPS, does the car have HID (optional in 98'), as well as the spoiler and the 17inch wheels (if so are they Chromed?).
Eric...

·
Registered
814 Posts
The GS needs the spoiler. Get the spoiler and it would be a tough decision. You will get more attention with the IS, plus you get that new car feeling

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hate the spoiler (no offense, Eric) but you're right about the new car feeling. Hadn't had that in a few years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personaly, I would get the GS400. I like the new IS300, but the car is not all that. To me, even you can wait for the 5sp IS300...it still not going to be as fast or faster than its big brother V8 GS400 (0-60/high end). Beside, I think GS400 looks better/manly than IS300.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Brad,
I'll answer your Question but I'm Warning you that I have a Biased Opinion..... Well my 1998 GS400 is now two years old and I have 41K miles on it. I take very good care of it (probably like your dad does of his) and it still looks and feels as solid as the day I took delivery of it. If I were offered the opportunity to either have a Brand New IS300 Lexus or a 1998 GS400 with 65K miles on it then I would definitely go for the GS400. That 300hp 4.0 liter Aluminum block V8 is a Jewel and the smoothest running engine I've ever come across by far. The IS300 hasn't met up to the high expectations I had, but I'm sure it will improve within the next couple years. Also Brad, 65K miles is nothing for that car and I'm sure you'll be able to put a few hundered thousand miles on that car without any engine problems. And lastly, Brad..... There's nothing like a V8 and the ability to go from 0-60 in under 6 seconds. IT's a RUSH and something you'll never regret.
Eric....
Also.... Your dad's car has the NAV system which isn't even available yet for the IS300

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by EricK:
Brad,
I'll answer your Question but I'm Warning you that I have a Biased Opinion..... Well my 1998 GS400 is now two years old and I have 41K miles on it. I take very good care of it (probably like your dad does of his) and it still looks and feels as solid as the day I took delivery of it. If I were offered the opportunity to either have a Brand New IS300 Lexus or a 1998 GS400 with 65K miles on it then I would definitely go for the GS400. That 300hp 4.0 liter Aluminum block V8 is a Jewel and the smoothest running engine I've ever come across by far. The IS300 hasn't met up to the high expectations I had, but I'm sure it will improve within the next couple years. Also Brad, 65K miles is nothing for that car and I'm sure you'll be able to put a few hundered thousand miles on that car without any engine problems. And lastly, Brad..... There's nothing like a V8 and the ability to go from 0-60 in under 6 seconds. IT's a RUSH and something you'll never regret.
Eric....
Also.... Your dad's car has the NAV system which isn't even available yet for the IS300

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited August 18, 2000).]
Gee. Eric:
You shouldn't be saying this. You are giving me ideas! I'm still trying to get my IS300 and I don't want to get side-tracked.

Seriously, I'd LOVE to have a GS400. I actually prefer the size of the GS than the IS (more comfortable on long trips).

·
Registered
175 Posts
So your dad would get a new car after he sells his GS400 to you?

If I were you, I would get a new IS300 since the one hand car feeling is too valuable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah...but this is a GS400 we're talking about!! hard choice...but i mite go for teh GS...higher class..speed..comfort..luxury..wat else do u need? and its only...almost 3 years old,tahts not bad.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
performance wise..the gs400 will be a lot more fun an dluxury wise...the gs400 again. its just if you think the car will last a long time based on how your dad treated it and how its running now..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seriously, i would go with the GS because it is such a nice car. Most people say that the GS4 is better and it is because it does have more power and it does have a nicer interior and with the nav, it's really nice. The GS4 is a more unique car. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, he's getting the LS 430 or new SC. I'm trying to talk him into the CLK 55. But he hates Mercedes service after twenty five years of buying Benz.

Originally posted by Japcarfan:
So your dad would get a new car after he sells his GS400 to you?

If I were you, I would get a new IS300 since the one hand car feeling is too valuable.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone, thanks for your comments. I value them as fellow car enthusiasts; it helps give me further perspective. As much as I like the IS it will be very difficult to pass up this opportunity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts