Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Used car I mentioned (in my previous thread) was PERFECT except
the previous owner smoked (a lot) inside the car. Dealers are saying they can try and clean it up (with some spl kind of cleaning)

I & my wife are non-smokers and don't like the smell.

Do you guys think there is chance to get rid of it with some kind of cleaning?

Please feel free to give your opinions

Thanks
K

P.S: So close to be proud IS300 owners :(

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
Dealers get smoker's cars in lots of times and they clean them up. Motels also manage to get rid of smoke odoer in rooms. They should be able to do that for you. I know the dealers will usually knock some off of the trade in value to cover the cost of deodorizing.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ebay, if you go to walmart they have fabreez for automobiles now, that might be the easy fix for you, other than that you could ask the dealer..

·
8,849 Posts
Personally, I would try to stay away from a "Smoker's" car. I doubt you can get all of the smell to vanish.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Fabreeze works for like 15 minutes... i wouldnt rely on that...
if you crap in the back seat, you'll hardly notice the smoke smell... :wink:

·
Registered
118 Posts
i remember a friend of mine who bought a used car from a smoker.... he took apart every panel and whatnot... vacuum the ash from the kravets and got most of it.... good luck if u get it

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
theres some kind of lysol spray with a pleasant aroma (fresh scent or sumthin) kills odors and dries fast. its cheap 1-2 cans should do it

can let you car bake in the sun and hope the odors "steam" out. wild idea though

hope that helps

btw i always smoke OUTSIDE my car, remember one time my homeboys wanted to "chamber" in my car and i was like F..k dat!! still got smoke the goods out of my car :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
i smoke outside my car and im guilty of smoking inside my car once and a while which im promptly stopping because the smell bothers other passengers.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
you will never be able to remove the smell. after you use all those cleaning products of corse the car will smell better, but they come back. smoke is a very fine particle, and it finds its way into every little nock-and-cranny........ your even more screwed if the driver left the air on re-circulate. now you have all those particles in the air vents. if the smell bothers you then don't buy it. you'll thank me in the long run. it will end up giving you headaches too.

good luck

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you have an air cleaner, use it inside your car every night.

I have the honeywell air cleaner and I use it on my car every weekend.

In case you dont have one, dont buy the small ones(plug-ins) because they are not as effective as the big ones for home use.

·
8,849 Posts
SexyLex said:

In case you dont have one, dont buy the small ones(plug-ins) because they are not as effective as the big ones for home use.
Wouldn't it be easier not to buy a car that you have to use an air cleaner every weekend? Maybe, not smoke in the car if that is why you use the air cleaner?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
vlad_a said:
SexyLex said:

Wouldn't it be easier not to buy a car that you have to use an air cleaner every weekend? Maybe, not smoke in the car if that is why you use the air cleaner?

It would definitely be better to buy a car that was owned by a non-smoker. I was assuming that he was fixated with the car (despite of the smoke odor).

Also, I dont smoke. I use the air cleaner just to keep a fresh scent inside the car.

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
Driving the car will do the trick. :wink: No air cleaner is needed.
I put 56K miles on my previous IS and did not have any smell in it.

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
I'd rather have a car that had been smoked in than one that messy, smelly little kids had been riding in. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.