Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1558&z=27
^^many more pics and full article in there!^^

Since its introduction in 2000, the IS has been the black sheep of the Lexus brand. It featured a stylish but relatively low-rent interior (by Lexus standards), was powered by a throaty straight-six not found anywhere else in the Lexus lineup, and even lacked the famous quiet-as-a-bank-vault Lexus cabin environment. Yet, these reasons (and more) are why it’s our favorite Lexus. It’s also been the only real (RWD) Asian alternative to the BMW 3-series, and most importantly, it’s been embraced by the tuner market. For all of you that are IS fans like us - bad news and good news.

First the bad news: 2005 marks the end of the line for the first generation IS300. You can kiss the unique chronograph instrumentation and Altezza-taillight - industry-spawning tail lamp design good bye. The good news is the all-new 2006 IS is a more stylish, more powerful, more serious performing sport sedan that stands shoulder to shoulder with the best offerings from Bavaria. Basically, think sending an IS to an Olympic training camp and then – with new muscles and all – on to a German finishing school. The three-model, IS250/350 lineup went in as Avril Lavigne wannabes, and came out as Jennifer Garner assassin-types.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
That quote from the article sorta summarizes the mixed feelings I have about he new IS. I obviously love the new IS... it's an amazing car. The power... the performance... the luxury... the features. But it's not an Altezza.

I love my IS300 to... and I think it suits me at my current age. I love it's go-kart like handling... and even though people say the IS is slow... I still think it's a pretty quick, responsive car that's very fun to drive. People say it's too small... but I love the size as the car fits me like a glove... and usually I'm the only one driving it anyways. I only carry one passenger at the most under normal circumstances. I love the edgy styling... I love the unique touches in the interior such as the chronograph inspired gauges.

But sadly... that unique-ness is what caused it not to fit into the Lexus range. I will miss it regardless.

I think the IS350 is "too mature" for me now. But I'm certain in a few years when I'm done with the IS300... I will move on to the IS350. At that point in time it WILL be right for me.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
"was powered by a throaty straight-six not found anywhere else in the Lexus lineup"

Do these guys know what they are talking about??

Didnt the Lexus GS300 have the exact same engine.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
gsrthomas said:
"was powered by a throaty straight-six not found anywhere else in the Lexus lineup"

Do these guys know what they are talking about??

Didnt the Lexus GS300 have the exact same engine.
The SC300 did as well.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but is the exhaust on the 350 ( I assume that the pic of IS on the lift is a 350) a true dual exhaust. Or is that a typical Honda like split with two mufflers ?

·
Banned
468 Posts
the new IS is hideous in every respect.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Tarik said:
Dude, you got to be smoking crack. There is a big list of cars that are far worst when it comes to looks. Let me ask you a question, have you seen one in person? If you haven't than go see one in person, and it's as far as it gets from being ugly.

You want ugly? How about E90 3 series, but I won't even go there. Looks are subjective.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Tarik said:
You're an idiot. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Pawel said:
Maybe a stupid question, but is the exhaust on the 350 ( I assume that the pic of IS on the lift is a 350) a true dual exhaust. Or is that a typical Honda like split with two mufflers ?
From the pics I seen so far it looks like one pipe comes from the engine and then splits at the rear axle.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Pawel said:
Dude, you got to be smoking crack. There is a big list of cars that are far worst when it comes to looks. Let me ask you a question, have you seen one in person? If you haven't than go see one in person, and it's as far as it gets from being ugly.

You want ugly? How about E90 3 series, but I won't even go there. Looks are subjective.
yes i have seen several in preson and that is how i based my opinion. sure there are worse looking cars. like you stated the new 3 series are terrible. so are R33 Skylines, (i used to have one so dont go there) all Neons, and most Volkswagons. Whats your point?
The new IS is too long and like one member stated above, has kind gone away from waht made the first gen appealing to most of us.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looks are subjective. Someone mentioned this before. I am a big fan of VW / Audi styling, as well as the E90, and the R33 skyline is a sleek looking car im my opinion too. But you probably dont give a crap about my opinion, which is fair because I think you're lost in the world of automotive beauty :) .

·
Banned
468 Posts
Wisky said:
Looks are subjective. Someone mentioned this before. I am a big fan of VW / Audi styling, as well as the E90, and the R33 skyline is a sleek looking car im my opinion too. But you probably dont give a crap about my opinion, which is fair because I think you're lost in the world of automotive beauty :) .
And you know what? thats what makes the world go round.
I'm, lost in the world of automotive beauty becasue i think the new BMWS are ugly as well as VW/Audis/ and R33 skylines? :suspiciou
u make no sense.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Potenza RE92?! Damn that's 1 huge mistake... those tires are soo garbage that i wouldn't take them even for spares...

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
86b said:
Potenza RE92?! Damn that's 1 huge mistake... those tires are soo garbage that i wouldn't take them even for spares...
:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts