Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
GTE swap, CD009 trans, 62mm turbo
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone remove the upper oil pan without pulling the engine? Need to reseal the pan and would rather not pull it again. Don't see it being too crazy using a engine support bar and pulling the crossmember. Just seeing if there are some people with insight that have done it before.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I did it.

Used two criss-crossed tie downs from engine to core support to stabilize the engine and prevent it from twisting.

Supported engine from below using two under-hoist jackstands; one under a bolt threaded into the rear of block, and another under the AC compressor.

It seemed pretty stable, but I was very careful to never actually get myself under the engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did it.

Used two criss-crossed tie downs from engine to core support to stabilize the engine and prevent it from twisting.

Supported engine from below using two under-hoist jackstands; one under a bolt threaded into the rear of block, and another under the AC compressor.

It seemed pretty stable, but I was very careful to never actually get myself under the engine.
Good to hear its not overly complicated to do.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
I saw someone do it with wooden blocks and chains lol. The did a motor build like that, I wonder if I could find the thread.

On another note, I have a mystery oil leak, there's oil on the bottom of the exhaust side motor mount, but nothing on top. I've resealed my turbo lines and have run out of ideas.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I done it as well. Held up the engine with a floor jack. Removed the subframe and engine mounts but not the brackets. Rested the engine using the engine mount brackets on these jack stands.
Worked perfectly because the brackets have a flat bottom, so engine won’t move.
Camera accessory Bicycle part Computer monitor accessory Font Output device

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just gonna buy one of these and have it supported from the top.
Bicycle part Bicycle fork Electric blue Font Wood

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Man. If it’s a bad enough leak, and if you have a hoist and a stand, I think I’d just pull the engine. I’m a glutton for punishment though. It would be safer and you’re gonna have easier access. Do the rear main, pilot bearing, clutch and stuff that’s easy to get to while the engine is out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man. If it’s a bad enough leak, and if you have a hoist and a stand, I think I’d just pull the engine. I’m a glutton for punishment though. It would be safer and you’re gonna have easier access. Do the rear main, pilot bearing, clutch and stuff that’s easy to get to while the engine is out.
lol legit its just got a half a dyno sesh on it since it was all refreshed and back together.. I just need to re-seal the pan so I can put down some numbers :S They didn't want to continue it and risk a fire, but makes sense.

Reactions: Kris OK
1 - 15 of 15 Posts