Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input from somebody in the know.

Saw this done to another IS300 a couple weeks ago and havent seen the car in action.

What would upgrading the final gear in the car do, it sure as hell looked like a messy mod to do....but what would it provide, better response?...what are the pros/cons to this mod?

Cheers!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, should have searched

Found some info but still doesnt really give me an idea if its worth it.....

....can any body recommend upgrading the final gear

·
Registered
14 Posts
It depends on how you look at it. Increasing the final gear ratio (assuming it is higher) will increase acceleration. However, depending on the ratio, fuel mileage should be worse than stock assuming you drive arond the same speed.

If you do end up getting it, make sure the person who installs it knows exactly what he/she is doing. If it not set up properly, there will be noise plus possible components damage.

By the way, which manufacturer(s) offers different final gear ratio for our IS300?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info man, I might not do it because this is a major part in the whole drive train. I saw them installing it in another is300 and was pretty shoddy work.

Youre right, if they even get a spec of dirt in there...the whole thing is buggered.

I get all my stuff from a trd/toms shop here in HK...Im guessing its trd

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I think I had asked this question about final drives several times, but I never really figured out which way was better to go. I think the general view I got was that in N/A cars a higher final drive is beneficial, but there is a fuel penalty for the higher revs. But..........

For F/I cars, like what I plan to do, and especially on high hp F/I cars, a slightly longer gear might be better b/c it would make your gears a little longer, thus reducing the need for extra shifts, and lost time, and making your car a little quicker. Also, your top end is increased. This problem can also be corrected a little by standalone engine managment and raising the redline.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This site might help in your quest in dif ratios.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~jar1/codes.html

The only wahy you can realy change a gear ratio with out changing the dif is to put a gs400 or other Lexus ring and pinion. BUT... you need to make sure the housings are the same size. they look the same but looks are decieving. Or you can fab up a supra rear end. the N/A supra's from the las genertation had 427 gears in it. This will defenatly brings shifts faster, but on the freway you will be screaming at about 5 - 6,000 rpm at 70-80 mph.

the higher the number the less mph. It depends on what your doing with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys, Great Info!!!!

Being in HK Im never gonna get to the top end of the car, its all about the sprint and acceleration!!

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts