Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I don't think it's been covered specifically before, but with all the talk of the upgraded manual transmissions and tranny swaps for the manuals, are there any heavy duty auto transmission swaps out there that will swap infor auto owners? I know some high hp supras run 3 speed auto's sometimes, and I've heard that the stock ecu would go crazy with any kind of transmission swap, but if you're running standalone, couldn't it work? What would it take to work? I'd love to run something like that.

Would it be possible for someone to rig up a blackbox that would fool the stock ecuto think everything was ok, so that an auto swap could be done and still keep the ecu?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
why do a swap when the stock auto trans has been worked and setup to hold a lot of power?

i know pfs had made that happen, we'll see how srt's dyno numbers are, to see how there trans holds up to big torque/power, if it does, you have 2 choices, and no need to change components or ecu related things

we swap manuals, because you cannot build the w55 to hold lots of torque

-gte

xencloud said:
Hello all! I don't think it's been covered specifically before, but with all the talk of the upgraded manual transmissions and tranny swaps for the manuals, are there any heavy duty auto transmission swaps out there that will swap infor auto owners? I know some high hp supras run 3 speed auto's sometimes, and I've heard that the stock ecu would go crazy with any kind of transmission swap, but if you're running standalone, couldn't it work? What would it take to work? I'd love to run something like that.

Would it be possible for someone to rig up a blackbox that would fool the stock ecuto think everything was ok, so that an auto swap could be done and still keep the ecu?

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
IS300GTE said:
why do a swap when the stock auto trans has been worked and setup to hold a lot of power?

i know pfs had made that happen, we'll see how srt's dyno numbers are, to see how there trans holds up to big torque/power, if it does, you have 2 choices, and no need to change components or ecu related things

-gte
I've been told that the auto trans in ISMAN's car was blueprinted and fully built as a race transmission....

so, there shouldnt be any misconception that its still stock, or even upgraded stock.... lets not be decieved here....

I'd love to have that transmission in my car with my future plans...

:p

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
irregardless, there is still no need to have any bellhousing changes, any custom mounts, any custom driveshaft (unless they choose to upgrade it) or custom electrical connections/hookups

all of that is the same, making the install much less complicated and tedious, and believe me, it makes a big difference in the level of hassle

-gte

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte
I've been told that the auto trans in ISMAN's car was blueprinted and fully built as a race transmission....

so, there shouldnt be any misconception that its still stock, or even upgraded stock.... lets not be decieved here....

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
You are absolutely correct on this. All the elec. conn., housing, mounts, are factory oem. So you save bunch of $$ and time and pain (mostly this) by just upgrading the internals of the tranny. Since, we don't have a table (some sort of reference) to as how much this built tranny will hold, and I am willing to take it to that level, it would give other auto tranny owners a guide to what options they have for trannies when upgrading their whp output. I have good feeling that our stock tranny fully built will hold enough whp for most of you guy's whp needs (approx. 600-750whp? maybe more ;)). We'll see...

IS300GTE said:
irregardless, there is still no need to have any bellhousing changes, any custom mounts, any custom driveshaft (unless they choose to upgrade it) or custom electrical connections/hookups

all of that is the same, making the install much less complicated and tedious, and believe me, it makes a big difference in the level of hassle

-gte

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
isman said:
You are absolutely correct on this. All the elec. conn., housing, mounts, are factory oem. So you save bunch of $$ and time and pain (mostly this) by just upgrading the internals of the tranny. Since, we don't have a table (some sort of reference) to as how much this built tranny will hold, and I am willing to take it to that level, it would give other auto tranny owners a guide to what options they have for trannies when upgrading their whp output. I have good feeling that our stock tranny fully built will hold enough whp for most of you guy's whp needs (approx. 600-750whp? maybe more ;)). We'll see...

IS300GTE said:

-gte

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

Can you share what was done to your tranny to build it up? Was it done in stages or all at once? Could it be broken into stages?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Well, basically it was done all at one time. As far as what "I" know are: plates, clutches, solenoid settings, tranny pump, and valve body has all been addressed. If you need further info. please call SRT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts