Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 02 IS300 and I am completely satisfied with how it is already but it is bone stock and i can have that for too long.Ive built plenty of hotrods so I have plenty of background in the automotive world but this is the newest car I have had.What is the first and best bang for my buck in the handling department.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Yup... sway bars is the simplest way to improve handling.

You can also go with shocks/springs after.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
Agreed. Sways then springs and shocks. After that you can supplement with strut bars, underbraces, frame braces, lower control arms, custom fabbing etc.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are polyeurethane suspension bushings available? They make a dramatic difference in reducing component slop.

Through searching, it seems nobody makes them.. That seems odd to me considering the amount of potential buyers..
Let's see if we can't do something about that. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size sway bars?And is there a brand that is the best?Sorry for the newb questions just trying to get into this as much as possible.

·
Registered
747 Posts
SWAYS, SHOCKS, AND SPRINGS is good enough. i had front and rear strut bars and i didnt like the feel of the car so i took it off:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
DO Shocks and Springs first. You will see the biggest improvement.
Get adjustable shocks. Koni yellows seem to work quite well... combined with H&R Sport springs and Hotchkis bars = SICK setup. Serious Handling.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
SWAYS, SHOCKS, AND SPRINGS is good enough. i had front and rear strut bars and i didnt like the feel of the car so i took it off:confused:
How did the strut bars change the feel of your car?

·
Registered
747 Posts
i guess you can say it felt more stiff and the car wanted to slide and when i took them off i felt like i got more control than when i had the struts on. only thing i notice is that it just kept it from flexing. when i had the rear it wanted to kick out bad. i didnt like that feel

·
Registered
208 Posts
How many miles do you have on your '02?
If you have over 60,000 miles your shocks are probably toast.
I would start there (shocks & springs).

·
Registered
4 Posts
i guess you can say it felt more stiff and the car wanted to slide and when i took them off i felt like i got more control than when i had the struts on. only thing i notice is that it just kept it from flexing. when i had the rear it wanted to kick out bad. i didnt like that feel
You could dial that out by softening up your rear shocks if they're adjustable. Let the suspension do its job, rather than letting the chassis do it.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
DO Shocks and Springs first. You will see the biggest improvement.
Get adjustable shocks. Koni yellows seem to work quite well... combined with H&R Sport springs and Hotchkis bars = SICK setup. Serious Handling.
+1 on this one

·
13,727 Posts
Eibach Prokits = 250
KYB OEM GR2 struts = 230

Much better handling than stock, 1 inch drop, stock ride, and no issues with tire wear. This is a proven formula.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts