Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am curious wouldnt you need to change the pilot bearing too when changing out the clutch and flywheel?
Yes... and it is included in the kit. ;)

it's better to do it.
Agreed!
Sorry I havent check the answer for this thread in a long time thanks for reminding me with the bump....

So you are going to include both the pilot bearing (engine block side) and the throwout (pressure plate side) bearing??

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry I havent check the answer for this thread in a long time thanks for reminding me with the bump....

So you are going to include both the pilot bearing (engine block side) and the throwout (pressure plate side) bearing??
Yes... included in the kit. ;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have answered this question of yours via PM. The part number is THMotorsports specific and is for an IS300. The reviews thread shows how this clutch kit is made for the IS300 specifically. Using a Supra N/A clutch kit in a W55 will not work and can cause transmission problems.
Are you stating that this thread is invalid for a W55?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are you stating that this thread is invalid for a W55?
I believe the person asking above that thread was asking if he could use a different clutch but the same flywheel and pressure plate? Which I dont think you can?? Got to be paired clutch and pressure plate.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I believe the person asking above that thread was asking if he could use a different clutch but the same flywheel and pressure plate? Which I dont think you can?? Got to be paired clutch and pressure plate.
Can this be clarified please? I'd rather go OEM than this if I can...

·
Registered
246 Posts
^^

There might be minute differences between a supra clutch and the clutch that comes in this kit. In the thread you referenced the person got the supra clutch and supra pressure plate so the mating surfaces or tolerances are the same.

The poster that was asking if they could use a supra clutch I am assuming wanted to use the pressure plate that had the lighter than OEM feel with a different clutch and I dont think you can do that???

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^

There might be minute differences between a supra clutch and the clutch that comes in this kit. In the thread you referenced the person got the supra clutch and supra pressure plate so the mating surfaces or tolerances are the same.

The poster that was asking if they could use a supra clutch I am assuming wanted to use the pressure plate that had the lighter than OEM feel with a different clutch and I dont think you can do that???
People stop re-inventing the wheel. It's not necessary when we have a full fledged kit with everything you need for a proper installation. There is a reason why we have sold over 100 of these with no issues and the owner of the company has had an IS300 with this very same setup.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Why would you go OEM when you can get a STG2 clutch that holds better power, without the noise and has the same factory peddle pressure?
... what's the point of having a clutch rated for twice the power your cars putting out and save $200 going 'OEM' with the Supra setup?

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
... what's the point of having a clutch rated for twice the power your cars putting out and save $200 going 'OEM' with the Supra setup?
Whats the point of paying more for an OEM clutch from Lexus that is made of organic materials that dont last as long?

The reason why its rated for more power is because the higher pressure plate rating and far superior friction material. This allow the clutch to be applicable to those who want OEM reliability/comfort and those looking for something that can handle spirited driving characteristics.

If you have a clutch system that is less money than lexus, drives like a factory Lexus clutch and is a proven reliable system.... hmm.... why wouldn't you go with it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Whats the point of paying more for an OEM clutch from Lexus that is made of organic materials that dont last as long?

The reason why its rated for more power is because the higher pressure plate rating and far superior friction material. This allow the clutch to be applicable to those who want OEM reliability/comfort and those looking for something that can handle spirited driving characteristics.

If you have a clutch system that is less money than lexus, drives like a factory Lexus clutch and is a proven reliable system.... hmm.... why wouldn't you go with it?

Thanks.
The supra setup is an 'OEM' alternative and $200 less than this kit on my end. I'll be going with that setup instead of this.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The supra setup is an 'OEM' alternative and $200 less than this kit on my end. I'll be going with that setup instead of this.

Thanks.
The beautiful thing about a free country is that you can build what ever you would like. I'm sure it works beautifully but for those customers that want a more comprehensive setup that doesn't need to be pieced together and wants a total solution, THMotorsports is here to help. For a proven clutch kit with a longer life expectancy than the oem disk you're using, please contact us for further details.

Thank you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey THM,

I wasnt trying to reinvent the wheel but trying my best to give clarification. I like the kit and I am thinking about purchasing it just waiting on funds and time.

Just curious lets say that someone has put on significant mileage on this setup and the clutch and pressure plate are not in stock could we used a different clutch and pressure plate with this flywheel? If so which one?

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey THM,

I wasnt trying to reinvent the wheel but trying my best to give clarification. I like the kit and I am thinking about purchasing it just waiting on funds and time.

Just curious lets say that someone has put on significant mileage on this setup and the clutch and pressure plate are not in stock could we used a different clutch and pressure plate with this flywheel? If so which one?
Stick with the same components from the same kit. Very rare for this not to be in-stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't understand why i had to wait almost 6 weeks for my flywheel clutch combo when these were in stock. I guess It's too late to do anything about it now.

·
Vendor
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I don't understand why i had to wait almost 6 weeks for my flywheel clutch combo when these were in stock. I guess It's too late to do anything about it now.
Nothing is ever too late... I'd be happy to look at your order and see what I can do to remedy your next purchase. Please be sure to PM me so we can dig deep on what happened. I'm going to need more information.

Thank you!

41 - 60 of 166 Posts