Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 6 weeks, I finally received the Borla system I ordered back in early November. Turns out they only build these things to order. Needless to say I was pretty excited when I found the huge box on my porch last night!

Being the impatient type, I got up early this morning to do the installation. This turned out to be cake. There are just the two bolts at the rear of the catalyst and the rest of the system is suspended from 4 rubber hangers. It's pretty easy to access with the right side of the car up on jack stands. I was prepared for those bolts to give me a bad time so I doused them with some Liquid Wrench and had a cup of coffee while I read through the directions. Back under the car I found the bolts tight but easily removed.

Getting the OEM system separated from the hangers was easily accomplished by greasing up the hanger posts/stems attached to the exhaust system with some silicone grease and popping them out one at a time with a pair of large Channel Lock pliers. I opened the Channel Locks far enough to set the top jaw against the end of the hanger post/stem, while the lower jaw was positioned against the opposite side of the rubber hanger and then just squeezed. Pop! out they came one at a time. I had the OEM system off and on the floor in about 20 minutes. Cake, with frosting!

The Borla system is a 3-peice kit. I started by bolting the front of the Borla resonator to the back of the catalyst, reusing the OEM gasket that was in there. I supported the rear end of the resonator system with another jack stand as I was working alone. A helper would be nice here. I snugged up the resonator section re-using the OEM nuts and bolts. I notice that these nuts are the one-time use type so I'm a little concerned that they may not stay tight. I applied a little medium strength Lock-Tite as insurance but I'm not sure how well that will work, given the temperatures involved. Anyone else reuse these nuts on a cat-back and have them come loose?

After the resonator was in, I slipped in the intermediate pipe, making sure to put the Borla supplied "Accuseal" clamp loosley in position first, I then popped the hanger posts into the first pair of rubber doughnuts. Again I used a little silicone grease to make this easier.

The muffler slips onto the other end of the intermediate pipe using another Accuseal clamp. Make sure to slip these in place before assembling the system , or you'll just have to take it all apart again! (don't ask! :x ) I slipped the hanger posts at the rear of the muffler into the last set of rubber doughnuts and the system was basically in :D . All I had to do next was to make sure the slip fits were fully engaged, position the two Accuseal clamps and torque them down to 35 ft. lb. as called for in the Borla instructions. All done! The whole job took me about an hour and half but I think I could do in again in about half that time, an hour at the outside.

I fired her up while still on the stands just in case there was a leak. I'm a little nervous about reusing that gasket and the nuts but they are easily changed later if need be. There were no apparent leaks right now though.

How's it sound?

When she first started up, it sounded almost stock, very quiet. Sounds very quiet at idle too. When I got her down off of the stands and went for a drive, I notice a nice growl, very deep and powerful sounding. The growl grows louder as you push further on the gas pedal. It sounds almost stock when cruising on the freeway at steady speed and I didn't notice any droning in the cabin. That's good. The growl reappears, on que, anytime you gas it though. Of course all of these impressions are from inside the car. I guess I'll have to get my daughter to drive it around the block so I can hear it from outside. I can't really hear any raspyness or harshness with the window down driving slowly along a brick wall to my right, so I think it must be reasonably quiet from the outside too. Just what I was hoping for.

How's it run?

I can't really tell any difference in power from the seat of my pants, but Borla claims between 5 - 15% horsepower gains depending on the application. I think the IS has to readjust it's engine computer over a few hundred miles to begin taking advantage of the reduced restriction anyway though.

How's it look?

See for yourself:

http://community.webshots.com/album/63774749qvWKyL

UPDATE:

An additional note concerning my new system: At a certain friend's house I had to carefully go up his driveway at an angle to avoid dragging my OEM exhaust tip (car is stock height). I forgot about this yesterday and drove up his drive way straight -oops. Today I thought about that and realized that I didn't remember hearing anything scrape when I did that. I went into the garage half expecting to see my new system all scraped up, but it was clean. Parking next to an IS with the OEM system today, it looks like the Borla is actually tucked up a little tighter than even the OEM system is. I'm very pleased about that!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
nice exhaust ;D

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
on the side by side pic, the bend looks almost like the stock tubing.
if you look at the apexi n1 cat back, its MUCH straighter than the borla.
BUt i like the look. good to hear there is no drone =)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dpatterson069 said:
on the side by side pic, the bend looks almost like the stock tubing.
if you look at the apexi n1 cat back, its MUCH straighter than the borla.
BUt i like the look. good to hear there is no drone =)
There does seem to be a bit more bend in it but it looks more exaggerated there than it does when installed because I did not fully slip the muffler and intermediate pipe together for that shot. There is about a 4" over lap when fully assembled. Everything fit and lined up beautifully, seems to be a real high quality piece.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan23 said:
If you caught it, what's the "actual" piping diameter of the Borla?

TIA,

Ryan
Ahh shucks, I knew someone was going to ask me that! I forgot to measure it before I installed it. Thought about it, forgot to do it. I got a nice engineering drawing of the system with the instructions. If the information's not in there I'll try to measure it. Borla makes a big deal about tubing diameter on their web site. They think that using too large a diameter just slows the flow down and you don't get good cylinder evacuation. They also said that large pipe diameters make it difficult to eliminate in-vehicle droning noises. They try to size the tubing to maximize exhaust velocity with little regard to size bragging status. Makes sense to me. I know that with motorcycle tuning, too big a pipe just kills the mid range power as the flow gets almost stagnant. It's the momentum of the flow that helps "pull" burnt mixtures out of the cylinder.

I suppose this size issue is somewhat of a defensive posture for Borla as the more "popular" makers seem to be going with ever larger tubing. Still, Borla has an on-site dynomometer and a large following amoung professional racers, including Team Lexus, so they can't be that far afield in their thinking.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wjbertrand said:
Ryan23 said:
If you caught it, what's the "actual" piping diameter of the Borla?

TIA,

Ryan
Ahh shucks, I knew someone was going to ask me that! I forgot to measure it before I installed it. Thought about it, forgot to do it. I got a nice engineering drawing of the system with the instructions. If the information's not in there I'll try to measure it. Borla makes a big deal about tubing diameter on their web site. They think that using too large a diameter just slows the flow down and you don't get good cylinder evacuation. They also said that large pipe diameters make it difficult to eliminate in-vehicle droning noises. They try to size the tubing to maximize exhaust velocity with little regard to size bragging status. Makes sense to me. I know that with motorcycle tuning, too big a pipe just kills the mid range power as the flow gets almost stagnant. It's the momentum of the flow that helps "pull" burnt mixtures out of the cylinder.

I suppose this size issue is somewhat of a defensive posture for Borla as the more "popular" makers seem to be going with ever larger tubing. Still, they have an on-site Dynomometer and a large following amoung professional racers, including Team Lexus, so that can't be that far afield in their thinking.
Don't sweat it, just curious if you happened to measure it when it was off the car. Yeah, the exhaust debate has been raging for quite awhile. There are many "good" arguements for it on both sides, it all boils down to what your goals are. On an N/A car it can take a little of the bottom end away if too large. On a turbo'd car, less backpressure/open exhaust is best. Unfortunately, the majority of us drive our cars on the street so that's not exactly a viable option. I was pretty amazed actually, stepping up from a full 3" exhaust system to a 3.5" downpipe/4" catback. Spoolup was improved dramatically and more power across the board. Mind you though, this was on a Single Turbo Supra. It's looking like the largest "off the shelf" system I'm going to be able to find is 3" anyway, so I'll problem end up with something custom. I was just trying to see what the price points were with size VS $$ and go from there.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
dont worry fellas..mine should be arriving any minute..ill make sure and measure it up before I install it.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
yo WJB.. .what paint did u use to paint the calipers ??

I think I like that gold look. ya got rollin there... :D

I wana mabey try something different than red blue black silver.....

edG

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
edgy said:
yo WJB.. .what paint did u use to paint the calipers ??

I think I like that gold look. ya got rollin there... :D

I wana mabey try something different than red blue black silver.....

edG
I used either plasticote or duplicolor (can't remember which) high temperature engine enamel with ceramic. I followed with hi-temp clear coat to seal in the stickers. I got the spray cans from Kragen. It's been holding up fine for over a year now. Couldn't find any caliper paint in gold. My motorcycle has gold calipers and I was after the same look. Besides, I have to show my USC colors somewhere!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ok my exhaust finally came in. I measured the pipe and its about 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" going into the muffler. Idk if thats good or bad..i frankly dont care. I cant wait to install it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Astr0LuX said:
ok my exhaust finally came in. I measured the pipe and its about 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" going into the muffler. Idk if thats good or bad..i frankly dont care. I cant wait to install it.
So did you get a free Borla hat too?

You're right on the 2.25" diameter, that's what the drawing package says too. Got a chance to run her up to red line this afternoon - sweet. I can feel some additional top end rush I think whereas it was pretty linear before. You're not going to get away with doing that in any kind of stealth mode though!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
heck yea i got the free hat..so pumped. I think im going to take it somewhere ot get it installed..we dont have enough jacks and my dad and I are kinda lazy.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Just installed my exhuast..the install was so simple..i think the unistall of the stcok exhaust was the tough part. Nice low tone at idle and it sounds mean as hell. The chrome tip also looks awesome on my tcm. Cant wait to take her out for a spin and test the butt dyno.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
when I figure out how to record shit and get it on my comp. I dont have a recorder.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts