Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a video of the hardrace bushings while driving. These bushings are one week old. Youtube video of the result:

A quick synopsis of the video: The first segment is the most dramatic and of the #2 bushing. I was traveling less than 5mph, I backed up, went over a couple speed bumps, hit the brakes both softly and stabbed the brakes. In the second segment I am looking at the #1 bushing. I left a parking lot, did some low speed swerving back and forth and came to a stop. For the third segment I am simply turning the wheel while at a stop to see rack movement.

The amount of movement in the #2 bushing is huge, keep in mind this is not hardcore cornering or braking... I am going at normal pace through a parking lot. The #1 is more subdued. I am not concerned with the bending forward and back as that is limited by #2 bushing, but there is significant in and out play even when I first get in and turn the wheel. The rack might be ok, not as tight as solid bushings, but I don't think they are that bad.

I would love to see the movement on an OEM piece to compare, but I'm pretty sure this is not stiffer. I will be replacing them all next week due to the fact that they were installed incorrectly. If anyone wants to vice grip a webcam under their oem car, it only took me about 10 minutes.

Update:
I just put in new OEM arms from Lexus today. After alignment the car drives 100% better. The movement of the OEM bushings is still significant, but not quite as drastic. Either way I cannot recommend the Hardrace bushings as an upgrade. The driving in this video is at normal speed. The braking force is a little harder since I wanted to see the bushings move.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
That's some crazy deformation of the #2 bushing. I can't imagine what kind of displacement you'd see at full ABS threshold braking. Seems like the bushing is simply too soft.

Are you using a GoPro to shoot those vids? I'm tempted so see what my TRD bushings look like in operation but I won't likely get a chance anytime soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I used an ordinary usb webcam, specifically this one: Microsoft Webcam: LifeCam Cinema | Microsoft Hardware

I used a needle nose vice grip to clamp the little stand to the subframe brace (same one that the #2 bolts to) with the camera pointing in various positions. I closed the door on the cord to keep it tight. Laptop was in the passenger seat recording.

I suppose you run the risk of it falling off and running over your camera...it was a risk I was willing to take. In fact it fell off once when I tried to clip it to the brake line holder. Just make sure that the tire and suspension movements won't interfere with the placement. I think a little electrical tape would do it too....I recorded in 720p, but the uploaded video is much lower res so any old cheapy webcam would do.

I also uploaded an extended version of the #2 bushing where I drive around a bit more on smooth neighborhood streets. I never tried any threshold braking or anything, just casual driving.
btw the audio is all from inside the car...I think thats the laptop creaking across the leather seats

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool I am down to do it I will have to make sure my webcam is still in working order but even if not I will pick up a cheap one to give it a go. for what it's worth all my suspension is stock with 162k miles on it I am sure it is a little worn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My car makes me nervous to drive to work!...its really that unstable. It may be primarily because the bushings are clocked incorrectly. I would love a ball joint there.

Perhaps these are a bad batch?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I want to thank you for investigating this. I was just about to waste my time and another alignment installing these. Unfortunately I now have useless bushings and have to either source a set of TRD or wait for figs version.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm going OEM until an spherical option becomes available for the #2, ideally Figs.

I ordered the polyurethane bushings and recieved them today...They will probably work but I don't like the design. It would be best for someone slammed on coilovers and doesn't need drastic suspension movement.

Such a PITA this has been....spent way more than a spherical setup would have been so far! Glad I can help anyone not go down the same path...although I'm sure I'm not the only one who already has. I was expecting the hardrace to be an upgrade.

·
Registered
272 Posts
do we have an ETA on Figs bushings?

I just asked figs about 'em. He's been really busy keeping up with orders of existing parts, but he's finishing up the front uppers, then moving on to the lowers. I don't have a time frame, but I know he's working on it.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Not sure I'd ever do a spherical bushing on a street car, or even one that would see light track duty. That's just crazy IMO. There would be a substantial amount of NVH transferred to the unibody from that link. And it's right under the driver/passenger position where it'd be especially irritating. The stock donut is rather large for the fact that it's designed to provide significant compliance. A spherical joint would allow none.

Reactions: Goopi

·
Registered
74 Posts
thats the exact same problem i was having with them too! been on the solid uerethene ones for a few months now and they seem to be holding up. the do transfer more tho? dont have full suspension travel myself since my IS is dumped. waiting for a more solid solution myself.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not sure I'd ever do a spherical bushing on a street car, or even one that would see light track duty. That's just crazy IMO. There would be a substantial amount of NVH transferred to the unibody from that link. And it's right under the driver/passenger position where it'd be especially irritating. The stock donut is rather large for the fact that it's designed to provide significant compliance. A spherical joint would allow none.
I think you're right that these will cause a huge increase in NVH, but I've torn these bushings up so many times that I'm ready to deal with it. IMO, stock and hard race are probably about the same, and if your suspension and tires are close to stock, they'll probably be fine.

Personally though, running 14k spring rates and sticky 245s up front, they seem to be the link in the chain that gives first in terms of both travel and wear; they can't take the abuse for long. Don't you track your car teck? How do your lca bushings hold up?

Honestly, I hate that the #2 bushing is cycled with the suspension. The arm doesn't move at all without applying torsion to the bushing, seems like a terrible design to me. That's been my criticism of poly bushings; a stiffer bushing would have a similar effect to increasing the spring rate.

I'm hoping to be one of the first to get my hands on figs front lca's, and I'll happily pass on the results if I am. I have a feeling the solid bearings will be aimed at the track oriented, but perhaps figs can be talked into a softer version.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Major props to the OP for taking the time to provide this information.

Overall I'm disappointed - I need to replace mine and was very much considering the Hard Race kit, but I'm glad I didn't waste my money. I might just order a set of OEM replacements for now and wait on either the FIGS solution or to find some TRDs.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
great info OP I also have Hardcore Bushings but I havent had any problems with crazy alignment wear or sloppy steering but I do only have 3k on my setup.

Anyone with a vid of a OEM set?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.