Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know im gonna get a lot of comments saying to read the forums, Ive spent the last 6hrs reading through them but anyways im looking to get 500-800whp on my 2jzge na-t build but im stuck on picking the right parts ive seen people say change the rods and pistons out to GTE internals and build the valvetrain up it could hold 600whp, I am going with a th400 trans keeping stock rear end till it goes but just need help picking parts out and getting the right info for my build. This is my drag car but dont want crazy power yet. Thanks in advance
Build list:
Brian Crower 6mm Billet Valve Keepers Locks
Brian Crower Single Valve Springs & Steel Retainers Kit
Gates Racing Timing Belt
GSC Chrome Polished 29mm STD Exhaust Valves Set
GSC Chrome Polished Intake Valves 33.6mm STD
GSC 6mm Valve Stem Seals Set Toyota
Brian Crower Cams Stage 2 264 264
ATI Super Damper Crank Pulley
Gates Serpentine Belt
Bosch 1000cc Injectors, High Impedance Set, With Clips

IS300 2JZ-GE GT35 Turbo Kit From Fastwayracer- Has anyone got a kit from them?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
GTE rods and pistons with arp studs and a MLS gasket will get you 500 very reliable whp all day long.

if you want to shoot for 600+ whp buy Aftermarket rods and pistons setup with a compression ratio of your choice. 9-9.5 will do.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTE rods and pistons with arp studs and a MLS gasket will get you 500 very reliable whp all day long.

if you want to shoot for 600+ whp buy Aftermarket rods and pistons setup with a compression ratio of your choice. 9-9.5 will do.
what about the 2jzge head what should i do for it

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
what about the 2jzge head what should i do for it
Nothing unless you plan on revving the motor past 7500 rpms consistently. At that point You’re really running out of “cams” as they won’t do much beyond 7300+ AND also I would do better valvetrain if you plan on revving 7500+ as valve float will become an issue.

Personally I would rev the stock head to 7300 rpm to be safe and KNOW it will last. 7500 rpm like I said has been done and won’t be a problem on the stock head, there just becomes a point where what you gain airflow wise up there won’t justify revving it up there or any higher with stock cams and valvetrain.

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing unless you plan on revving the motor past 7500 rpms consistently. At that point You’re really running out of “cams” as they won’t do much beyond 7300+ AND also I would do better valvetrain if you plan on revving 7500+ as valve float will become an issue.

Personally I would rev the stock head to 7300 rpm to be safe and KNOW it will last. 7500 rpm like I said has been done and won’t be a problem on the stock head, there just becomes a point where what you gain airflow wise up there won’t justify revving it up there or any higher with stock cams and valvetrain.
so i already have gte rods and pistons to be on the safe side get valves and cams ?

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

what about a damper or a Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
so i already have gte rods and pistons to be on the safe side get valves and cams ?
If you plan on revving the motor past 7300-7400 rpms, then yes. If you are just going to run the stock GE cams, there really isn’t a need to rev the motor much past 7k rpms anyway as those cams aren’t really going to perform beyond that so really it makes no sense to rev the motor that high.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,764 Posts
what about a damper or a Timing Belt Tensioner Bracket.
I have not been around 2jz’s long enough to warrant use for an aftermarket tensioner bracket tbh. Maybe the real street Supra or other guys with complete built bottom ends who rev their motors past 8k.

I have seen AND heard numerous people running 2JZ to 7500 rpm on stock valvetrains and dampers for years without issues. At this point I think I should be very clear in what I’m telling you because I don’t want you to take my word as law.

Stock cams need not be revved past much past 7k rpms. 7500 would be the absolutely max for making power on them. So if you’re not buying cams, don’t set the rpm limit past 7500 rpms. If you follow this, there won’t be a need for valvetrain upgrades or a damper or a tensioner bracket.

OF COURSE IF YOU WANT THE EXTRA INSURANCE PLEASE BUY WHAT YOU FEEL YOU NEED TO.

If you have plans to upgrade the cams then you should buy the necessary valvetrain and a damper and a tensioner bracket to support the higher rpm range.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Would you need to turbo the car to gain that much hp?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts