Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok heres the rundown...
bought used SRT kit with turbonetics 60-1 hifi turbo...(didnt get all the vaccum lines. oil lines/ fuel lines didnt work) would never do that again

i am using an AEM wideband, safc for the tune, MRF black box, stock injectors for now, and begi rrfpr, walbro pump and return line, only going to be boosting 8lbs. the cold pipe on the kit is 3 inches, other kits that are running smiliar(TE S1) to this use the rrfpr and have 2.75 piping(same as stock).i am still running a little lean around town and on the freeway, the wideband would be at like 17 or so. but sometimes its at 15 which would be ideal. its not consistant due to the 3 inch cold pipe?

From what i have read, since the cold pipe is 3inches, it is throwing off the maf sensor and it is not getting a consistant reading. Thats what i have gathered from all the threads i have read. what do you guys think i should do?

So here are my options:
1.Go all out, head gasket-250, Haltech Fx10-950, install my 440 injectors and areomotiv 1:1 fpr (already have both of those) +nstall 500= 1700

2.Install the 440 injectors and areomotiv 1:1 fpr and see what happens since i have the 3 inch charge pipe- cost would be little or nothing

3. Have a 2.75 cold pipe fabricated from the Intercooler to TB with the maf adapter on it- 180

4. Drive my car to TJ and leave the keys in it

5. fill in the blank_____________________
UPDATE!
It turns out I had a couple of problems. the first one was that my cold pipe from IC to TB was 3 inch, I ordered LMS CAI intake pipe which is 2.75 inches and it fit perfect(I am waiting for the silcon hose from another source). Next one the list was changing the spark plugs, I followed the DIY tutorial and it was very straight forward... make sure you wear gloves, i have like 4 cuts on my hands/fingers. after pulling out the first plug, i noticed that they were the STOCK PLUGS ! They were all burnt black tips and some appeared to have Rust on them. I talked to the guy who installed the kit and he said he never checked the plug numbers before installing them. So I guess Bpynckel (thats Brian Pynckel) took the NGK Iriduim plugs out of the boxes and put the Denso Plugs in the NGK boxes, not only did i not recieve all the hoses and fittings, but he swapped the plugs out and gave me oil lines that would simply not fit and fuel lines that were leaking, I know the guy installed the plugs because I have a Pic with the TB off(the TB is off in this pic). Btw i drove the car yesterday and it drove very smooth, now its boosting 6-7 without hesitation.

Does anyone know Brian Pynckel (Bpynckel)? I have sent Emails and PMs but no response, and he logged on a couple of days ago. I would like to talk to him. If you have any info on him please pm me, thanks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
well running lean most likley is due too fuel and/or tune

my "charge" piping was 2 inchs with the srt stage 2 kit

and my cold side piping was 3 inchs

the main reason that i cna see that you would be running lean is the injectors, swap them out and see what you can do with the safc...youll probly have to subtract fuel. i have the f10x and after its tuned it runs like a dream

but im sure you could get the safc to do the same for you...its just gonna be harder to tune becuase your engine is reading all these things that it doesnt understand

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well running lean most likley is due too fuel and/or tune

my "charge" piping was 2 inchs with the srt stage 2 kit

and my cold side piping was 3 inchs

the main reason that i cna see that you would be running lean is the injectors, swap them out and see what you can do with the safc...youll probly have to subtract fuel. i have the f10x and after its tuned it runs like a dream

but im sure you could get the safc to do the same for you...its just gonna be harder to tune becuase your engine is reading all these things that it doesnt understand

I changed my intial post, i had charge where cold should have been. the charge piping is 2 inches to IC, then out of the IC it bends in 2.5 inch and then goes to 3 inch about 6 inches away from the fender.

·
Registered
459 Posts
yeah thats how mine is and i have no problems with running lean...if anything rich

at cruising im 14:7-15:5

boost im 11:8-12:8

again id check fuel injectors and then tune

·
Registered
459 Posts
no im on haltech as i said before

if you only have it during cruising then your injectors can handel it and your fuel pump is fine

all i think youll really need to do is experiment with the safc i believe you cna add or take away fuel to a certain extent so maybe move up your fuel curve at the ebgging but end up in the same place when you get to wot see what happens and go from there,

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
on the hight throttle on the safc, they are basically all well into the negitives because of the begi rrpfr, on the low throttle, they are like
1K+43
2K+45
3K+45

and so on

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
sounds like more fine tuning is needed. I do not know teh limit of the SAFC, hopefully it isn't met yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
honestly if my car doesnt do it then the only difference is the engine management and injectors...eventually youll want to upgrade...you could go with some 440's and emange itll probly only run you 400-500

and itll feel alot better im sure

anyway..its all up to you and what you plan to do

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You're experiencing a slight tuning discrepency. If you just toss in larger injectors you will throw off the entire map, both cruise and WOT. Considering that the new injectors will be bigger, the whole map will be richer and thats not what you want to do. Is the car misfiring during cruise or running hot? What's your temperature?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're experiencing a slight tuning discrepency. If you just toss in larger injectors you will throw off the entire map, both cruise and WOT. Considering that the new injectors will be bigger, the whole map will be richer and thats not what you want to do. Is the car misfiring during cruise or running hot? What's your temperature?
To tell you the truth, temp is always a line below half... that is the only thing that is consistant. Driving on the freeway at 65 cruise control, i have seen the afr ar 15.2-16 or so at times, and then others at the high 17s. sometimes when starting out, like stepping on it somewhat hard it bogs for a couple seconds.

last night after i got off the freeway the afr was at 12.5 or so while idling and on the rest of the way home it was in 12s 13s going in the residential streets... i dont want to pay to have injectors installed and open and evan larger can of worms.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when i was searching the other night through many pages i found this which was posted by jeff at TE about the 440s and 3 inch pipe with maf sensor

The biggest challenge is getting the Mass Air voltage correct. If you pull to much voltage out of the mass air signal it throws the stock mapping into cells that you don't want to be in. Keep in mind the more voltage you pull, the more timing and less fuel the stock ecu will add for your tip in and light boost loads.

It's much easier to tune the piggyback with 440cc injectors because you don't have to take as much mass air voltage out. I also let the stock ecu do some of the trimming. A lot of people like to see the long term trims at +/-10% but I like to see them in the -15 to 20% because then less of the mass air voltage is taken out.

If you are using bigger then 440cc injectors, consider putting the mass air sensor in a 3" pipe, as it will give you more resolution.

btw, i do get an occasional misfire when boosting, i am also changing the plugs very soon

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Like I said in my PM to you bro, get the smaller sized piping. Dont open a new can of worms bro trying to experiment. I went through the same thought process years ago figuring out a way to run larger injectors with stock ECU being happy and just an SAFC. Yes in theory it would work with a larger pipe, but theory also needs its real world testing, and in my opinion, don't test on a technically daily drivable car. Your power goals don't require 440's, so just put a smaller diameter IC pipe and carry on bro.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts