Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antz way of Hiding cassette adaptor! **Pics**

I have the cassette adaptor inside my headunit with the wire running through the rear of the headunit. In addition the headunit's cassette lid is in the close position. Pictures speak better than words.

Here you see my headunit in tape mode and the cassette adaptor wire connected playing tunes.

Here you can see the tape lid close and the tape mode still on. Giving me audio in signal for my Ipod.

Here I wired a 12v cigaratte port for the belkin audio charger which will be concealed under the shift tray where the ash tray is. Underneath.

Here is the clean install of the 12v suppy. I love tap in connectors.

Back there you will find the wire coming from the cassette adaptor temporarily going to my ipod right now. Until I get the belkin auto charger with built in line out.

Let me know what you guys think! I really appreciate it. More pics to come this setup is still not completed. i will keep you informed. For now what do you think so far.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Re: What I did this weekend still work in progress! **Pics**

AntzLexusIS said:

Let me know what you guys think! I really appreciate it. More pics to come this setup is still not completed. i will keep you informed. For now what do you think so far.
Get rid of the T-taps!!! They are the actually worse than wrapping the wire and taping it. They cause the wire strands to break making the connection inferior. The proper way is:
Strip
Wrap
Solder
Shrink/tape

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i thought! people tell me that I tie up my cassette deck. but I am like cassettes are like 8 traxs. Out dated..... if anyone has questions please feel free to ask. Here to help!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

lisnup65 said:
AntzLexusIS said:

Get rid of the T-taps!!! They are the actually worse than wrapping the wire and taping it. They cause the wire strands to break making the connection inferior. The proper way is:
Strip
Wrap
Solder
Shrink/tape
Initially I was going to do that and still may solder and shrink wrap it. I just didn't want to cut the wires. But to each his own.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts

AntzLexusIS said:
lisnup65 said:
AntzLexusIS said:

Strip
Wrap
Solder
Shrink/tape
Initially I was going to do that and still may solder and shrink wrap it. I just didn't want to cut the wires. But to each his own.
You dont have to cut the wire!!!! I never cut a wire unless its needed(I.E starter interupt, 5 wire door loks, diode isolation, etc). All the years I have been installing, the #1 rule is to never and I mean never install T-taps. Just trying to pass on some self learned advice.

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NaFooEsi said:
so does the cassette adaptor still pops out when you push the tape eject button?

How would this setup compair to an FM module setup? Easier? Cheaper?
No the cassette does not pop out when you push the eject button. I haven't pushed the eject button to find out what would happen. I would imagine that since it gets blocked from the lid that it will return back to position. I haven't tested and am not testing that anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OZIS200 said:
Is the the Ipod Mini you have there?

I wish the stock headunit came with audio inputs :(
Yes it is! I had the 1st gen 5 gig and this is is just 100X better. I am setting up a mount for it. just waiting on the shipment. I will have completed pics up soon.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OZIS200 said:
Yeah those minis look awesome
But they only have 4gig space, which sux if you have a really big collection
yea i guess but it works for me. I don't know but I haven't gone through 1,000 songs yet. I am only at like 570. Still plenty of more room available. The reason I didn't get the ipod was because I liked the new button configuration that was similar to my old ipod. I was not fond of the buttons on the new ipod.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Can you explain how you did the tape part in further detail? I took out my headunit, now how do i go about inserting the tape. I dont want to mess it up.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kapoosh said:
Can you explain how you did the tape part in further detail? I took out my headunit, now how do i go about inserting the tape. I dont want to mess it up.
First off make sure you have the cassette adaptor in the headunit before unplugging the power.

Now once out of the dash you remove the AC/Heat unit from above the radio.

Once that is off, You will notice all around the radio there are tabs. You want to unlock the tabs slowly and with little force. Be careful. Try to get them all untabbed. It is on all sides of the headunit.

Just pull the face off and let the wire run through the opening pulling out out. With that now you want to fish that wire to the back and once that is done just replace the face making sure eveything is not being intereferred.

Let me know if you have any questions .

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is this a useful post.... How about some dots for pioneering this.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
8,880 Posts
You may want to turn off Dolby NR. The tape adapter does not support it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
vlad_a said:
You may want to turn off Dolby NR. The tape adapter does not support it.

Worse than that ... He was playing "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles :crazy:

hehe j/k :chill:

·
Registered
865 Posts
why not just do the aux input mod? cleaner and clearer than the tape.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts