Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People before you roast me I did do a search and did not quite find what I needed. So here is my situation.

My wife bought me a New car buffer for Christmas, she got a little pissed because she saw I had a look of disappointment on my face. She said you don't like it. I said this is great gift, one that I could use all the time. Sometimes we get things we only use briefly then get bored or give it up, but this is something she was thinking, hey, he likes taking care of the cars, this should come in handy. The look of disappointment was not so much that I disliked the gift, but I was unsure if it was ok to use a buffer on our cars. I have heard nightmare stories of swirl marks. and then again I heard some positves.

Can anybody out there lend someinsight on this issue? I really would to take full advantage of the product. :D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Have you used a car buffer before? I personally have not but from what I have seen and heard, if you haven't used one before, don't try on your own car. I don't see why a buffer would damage the paint of this car only. I know the dealer uses buffers on their showroom cars, so I don't think it is a Lexus or IS300 thing. Many just don't believe in the buffer and would rather do it by hand. As far as dealing with the wife being upset (if she is) I would just explain it to her that you could f'up the paint. I'm sure she'll understand :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
if it is a random orbit buffer and you let the machine do all the work you could get great results when waxing and buffing. buffers can be excellent tools if used properly but they have their own opportunities and challenges that hand work does not.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
buffer will be fine. i use one. just make sure you use clean pads each time, and sometimes change the pad in between. that's the key from my experience. also, don't push too hard. let it do it's thing and drift over the paint.

you can just as easily scratch paint with your hand and a rag as you can with a buffer. :cry:

·
Registered
946 Posts
is.jays said:
if it is a random orbit buffer and you let the machine do all the work you could get great results when waxing and buffing. buffers can be excellent tools if used properly but they have their own opportunities and challenges that hand work does not.
Yep. That's the whole idea of an orbital buffer. No swirl marks and no burned paint. Just let it work on it's own weight and keep it moving. Be sure to start with clean terry bonnets and switch off between 3 of them. One for applying wax, one for wax removal and a clean one for polishing.

·
Twisties Addict
12,063 Posts
haha you should come try buffing with the buffer we have at my lot! lol

it must be like 10hp buffer....cuz this thing would take your hand off! :crazy: ..it also has a bare connecting nut in the middle so if you lay it flat you will scratch the shit out of the car!
You should come buff a car at my lot with that thing first....and then if you can do that you can handle any of them!

One hint go over 2 times as much as you think you should...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. Yes this will be my first time using a buffer. I also was told that just let the machine do the work and you will be fine. I didn't mean to sound so specific about using the buffer on just my IS300, but also I do plan on using it on my wifes Honda, which is a nice deep purple that needs a good waxing. Ill start with hers for the practice. :D

·
8,849 Posts
Don't worry, using buffer is fine. It makes the job simplier. One key thing is not to put too much wax and not to push on the buffer.

Here is how I got mine done last time:
1) Through car wash
2) Mothers Clay Bar
3) Car Wax using buffer

It took me a while, but it was worth it. :D

P.S.
My wife now asks me what I want as a present, then we both go out and buy it. This way I am happy with what I get and don't end up again in the situation you were in.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vlad_a said:
Don't worry, using buffer is fine. It makes the job simplier. One key thing is not to put too much wax and not to push on the buffer.

Here is how I got mine done last time:
1) Through car wash
2) Mothers Clay Bar
3) Car Wax using buffer

It took me a while, but it was worth it. :D

P.S.
My wife now asks me what I want as a present, then we both go out and buy it. This way I am happy with what I get and don't end up again in the situation you were in.
First I want to say what up my fellow Clevender, hope you had a nice holliday. I feel you on letting your wife know what you want. She did get me something else that I really wanted, which was cool. The buffer was just a throw in. I had know idea it was coming. She propably thinking I have no excuse now not to do her car. :D

·
8,849 Posts
meta1 said:
First I want to say what up my fellow Clevender, hope you had a nice holliday. I feel you on letting your wife know what you want. She did get me something else that I really wanted, which was cool. The buffer was just a throw in. I had know idea it was coming. She propably thinking I have no excuse now not to do her car. :D
That's why we got a silver car for my wife - so that it always stays, or at least looks, clean. :eek: With silver color, you can get away with it. :D Besides, I don't think she would be happy if I was also to wax her car, as it takes me almost a whole day to properly finish mine. :bitching:

My holiday was great. I miss the snow, though. It brings out the spirit of the season. Can't complain about Christmas as everything was white all over. :D

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I also got a random orbital buffer/polisher for Xmas, nice craftsman 10" unit.

I used it for the first time today, worked great!!!!! Made it go so much faster, was incredible. and the shine!

I plan on taking pics tomorrow, since I haven't taken pics of my car in quite a while.

Kane

·
8,849 Posts
k-lo said:
Gotta love our NE Ohio weather! Noone knows what will come next! :D
You can say that again. I am having a hard time every season trying to figure out when to switch the tires. :bitching:
The weather got me once, and it got me good. :cry:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kanine21 said:
I also got a random orbital buffer/polisher for Xmas, nice craftsman 10" unit.

I used it for the first time today, worked great!!!!! Made it go so much faster, was incredible. and the shine!

I plan on taking pics tomorrow, since I haven't taken pics of my car in quite a while.

Kane
Go ahead and post some pictures, I would love to see the outcome. Include a couple of close ups :D I also got caught by the weather this year. My wife said it won't snow tonight you will be ok to drive the IS300 to work, low and behold we got 6 inches that night. Couldn't even make it home in the morning. You wait and wait to put your car up or change the tires hoping to get decent weather to keep up that spirited driving. Poor fellow in Mentor, I know you guys really catch it. Big snow belt area.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Buffer

I would say be careful with the buffer, I see so many new cars with the clear coat burned off, and the paint faded. Personally I would never use a buffer on my car. :wink: ( especially on the IS )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.