Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't gone over 130 in a few weeks.. but those times that i did... it felt like the windows were going to shatter.. the window seals weren't working properly either.. all kinds of wind was rushing through the seals and thats what made me feel unsafe.. i knew i was going fast..but the fact that wind was breaking through the seals ..... that was kinda scary..

should this happen?? or is there something wrong with my window seals??

...also..whenever i go this fast..it is never through traffic... usually down an empty highway past 2 or 3 in the morning....

thanks in advance

------------------
Graphite w/Graphite rims
16" Quantum Tech S-10's (winter rims)
Blue Hybrid Bulbs
PIAA 002 fogs
Tein HA Coilovers and SRT HFI/ECU ... on order

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I've been to 140 and I did not have that kind of cabin noise or wind. I'd think it'd be funny to go to the dealer though and say, "I get an awful lot of windows on the highway"..."How fast are you going when you get the noise?"..."Oh, somewhere around 130"..."I see"...

Visually inspect your window moulding and trim and open and close the windows a few times to look for problems.

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
11,061 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster:
I'd think it'd be funny to go to the dealer though and say, "I get an awful lot of windows on the highway"..."How fast are you going when you get the noise?"..."Oh, somewhere around 130"..."I see"...

[/B]
And then they'd have to try to recreate the incident in order to diagnose the problem!

------------------
'01 SBM, Black Leather - LSD - 17" Graphite Wheels - Loaded (minus moon roof)

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I got mine up to 140 mph the same thing happened. It was real loud and sounded like a window was down. The car didn't feel unsafe at all. Very smooth.
Originally posted by TicaLis300:
i haven't gone over 130 in a few weeks.. but those times that i did... it felt like the windows were going to shatter.. the window seals weren't working properly either.. all kinds of wind was rushing through the seals and thats what made me feel unsafe.. i knew i was going fast..but the fact that wind was breaking through the seals ..... that was kinda scary..

should this happen?? or is there something wrong with my window seals??

...also..whenever i go this fast..it is never through traffic... usually down an empty highway past 2 or 3 in the morning....

thanks in advance

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why don't you go to a crowded shopping center and nail a pedestrian OUTSIDE of their car and save your local authorities the trouble of cleaning up a massive pile of burning wreckage. Or better yet, why don't you just go skydiving without a parachute or play chicken with a train. If you're feeling suicidal there's no reason to kill an innocent motorist at 130 mph...just kill yourself. Those innocent people have other things to do in their life...like watching PROFESSIONAL drivers perform high-speed maneuvering in a CAPABLE vehicle on a RACE TRACK!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had mine at 140 and I didn't notice anything unusual handled great and smooth.

------------------
Proud owner of a SOLAR IS 300, 2001
loaded
Miami,FL

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the only handling i hope you guys are talking about at 140 is just keeping the car goign straight. i seriously doubt that at that speed you should be manuevering in and out of lanes ora nything like that. keep it safe out there.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
At 130+ miles per hour, how safe do you expect to be feeling? this has got to be the dumbest topic I've read yet.

"I don't understand why your pit bull bit me, all I did was yank on his sack..."

------------------
MAD
2000 4Runner Highlander 4x4 Millenium Silver
Injen Intake and TRD Badges which don't really help performance at all but sure look purty!
1995 Honda Civic CX Sapphire Blue
1.5L non-VTEC with no mods whatsoever
16" Konig Tuner Wheels (the wife liked them and hey, it's her car!)
0-60 in (takes a real long time) 10 sec?

[This message has been edited by junedog (edited January 31, 2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to say even at normal freeway speeds of 70-90 I do hear wind noise coming though the window seals but I didn't think much of it, now im thinking. Any ideas on what to do?? I'll check for it more today while im driving...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay..for all of you sarcastic peepz...

first...the unsafe feeling is not caused through speeding..but from the amount of wind that breaks through the window seals... i've never experienced so much "noise" in any car while traveling at those speeds...

second... i do not speed through traffic at these speeds... i already learned my lesson on that subject about 8 years ago when I turned 16...

third.. why don't some of you open your eyes and read the posts before you post your worthless .02

im not trying to piss anyone off here... but why can't some people read between the lines.. use some objectivity...

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I'm sorry but speaking so nonchalantly about going 130mph on a public freeway, no matter what time it is, bothers me. You're not driving a race car on a closed circuit. Anything could happen on a public thoroughfare. Obviously you haven't learned your lesson.

I read your post and others and still can't figure out the logic involved in thinking that driving that fast on the freeway is "safe". btw I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm serious. Grow up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay..i hear your point..and you are right.. going that fast is not safe.. and there really is nothing i will say to justify my actions... so i wont say anything more on that point...

on another note... the lesson that i learned so long ago..is not to speed/race through traffic..especially rush hour traffic...

i can't say i abide by all laws and drive the speed limit because I dont.. but i do know how to assess and anticipate situations.. obviously i can't predict everything that happens on a road.. and that is why I try to speed responsibly..

i have to ask you this.. which is worse..

driving over 100 with 150% of your attention
on the road and on the drivers(if there are any) around you...

or...

driving 65 while trying to read a newspaper or trying to eat your McDonalds breakfast on your way to work...

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
That's like asking me:
"What's worse, heart attack or stroke?"

They both suck.

Originally posted by TicaLis300:
.. and that is why I try to speed responsibly..
"speed responsibly"??? Can you say oxymoron? First of all driving 130+ is no longer speeding. That my friend is reckless driving. Secondly, how can you say you're doing it responsibly? Can you drive drunk responsibly?

Sorry, I'm not trying to pile on, but I reiterate, this thread is dumb.

------------------
MAD
2000 4Runner Highlander 4x4 Millenium Silver
Injen Intake and TRD Badges which don't really help performance at all but sure look purty!
1995 Honda Civic CX Sapphire Blue
1.5L non-VTEC with no mods whatsoever
16" Konig Tuner Wheels (the wife liked them and hey, it's her car!)
0-60 in (takes a real long time) 10 sec?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speeding responsibly is definitely an oxymoron.. but try and look at this from a different perspective... many people speed everyday.. we cannot stop that from happening.. but some of these people swerve in and out lanes, use the emergency lanes to pass, basically, drive recklessly while excessively speeding... and then .. some people speed with their complete attention on the road..

okay..i agree..this thread has turned out to be pretty dumb..

but the whole point of this thread was to find out if the sounds from my window seals at these speeds is common amongst other IS'

enough said...

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
You guys know how long it takes your car to brake from 140 mph to 0?
60-0 takes 113 ft (Car and Driver)
80-0 takes 203 ft (Car and Driver)
100-0 takes 330 ft (calculated by curve fit)
120-0 takes 515 ft "
140-0 takes 770 ft "

That's a lot of feet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got mine up to 160mph, fealt quiet and smooth, untill I creamed that old lady. I noticed alot of blood and screaming all around me. Is this normal?

------------------
ScoochyDawg -
if you're not wasted, a day is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not really, but neither is your 160...

Originally posted by scoochydawg:
I got mine up to 160mph, fealt quiet and smooth, untill I creamed that old lady. I noticed alot of blood and screaming all around me. Is this normal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts