Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. Ive been talking to the owner of Unorthodox Racing, and they are willing to develop a pulley kit for the ISX50. They just need to check out an IS first, so does anyone live in or near Copiague, NY? if so would you be willing to let them check out your car and make measurements and do a baseline dyno?

turbo magazine did a before and after dyno with the kit on a 350z and they had a peak gain for 6.1 hp and a gain of 9hp at 5500 rpms.. which seems pretty good for a simple bolt on. Plus they lost 5.5 lbs.

some peole dont like these kits and have read bad reviews.. but it all depends on how much underdriven the pulleys are and Unorthodox seems to make theres safe since they have been selling products for 11 years with no problems

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Ive had the UR lightened pulleys for 4 years on my crank, water pump, alternator and power steering. Felt power right away and no it did not damage my engine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ive had the UR lightened pulleys for 4 years on my crank, water pump, alternator and power steering. Felt power right away and no it did not damage my engine.
How much power did you feel? did you get more torque out of it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no ISx50 owners are interested in more performance??

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
5 hp in exchange for losing the harmonic dampner? pass.
45k miles on these pulleys and still running strong. I can vouch for more than 5 hp. If I had to estimate it felt like 20hp with all those pulleys switched. Kinda like when I first installed my SRT intake. The truth is though you are not gaining HP from the pulleys you are restoring HP that the engine has lost for having these components like the power steering and waterpump.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
45k miles on these pulleys and still running strong. I can vouch for more than 5 hp. If I had to estimate it felt like 20hp with all those pulleys switched. Kinda like when I first installed my SRT intake. The truth is though you are not gaining HP from the pulleys you are restoring HP that the engine has lost for having these components like the power steering and waterpump.
"feels like" is a horrible standard for judging power gains. See also the folks who insist it FEELS LIKE they gains a bunch of power from an air intake on their IS when they demonstrably did not.

Disassemble an engine that ran for 45k with and without a harmonic dampener. Compare the bearings. The one without the dampener will look like the bearings from an engine with 200k on it.

If you don't plan to keep your car forever that's probably not an issue for you though.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its only risky if the kit doesnt include a haronic damper.. im asking Shawn a unorhodox racing if he would be willing to deelope a kit with one

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
"feels like" is a horrible standard for judging power gains. See also the folks who insist it FEELS LIKE they gains a bunch of power from an air intake on their IS when they demonstrably did not.

Disassemble an engine that ran for 45k with and without a harmonic dampener. Compare the bearings. The one without the dampener will look like the bearings from an engine with 200k on it.

If you don't plan to keep your car forever that's probably not an issue for you though.
Before you jump on the attack consider why someone would install a pulley kit? Yes to have more gains in HP. If you have followed the SRT intake you will see that it has real gains (dynoed)that you can feel and hear. That is probably why the intakes go for 450.00 I don't believe any of us are going to keep our is300 forever and by the way most people are gonna wear their bearings regardless because they dont understand shifting and rpm principles, scheduled oil changes and good oil. If you know anything about power to weight ratio then you know when I said "it feels like" meant there was gains, but I can't say how much because it's not dynoed. Yes if we want more gains then forced induction is the way to go, but then again there goes the life of the engine. Most engine mods we do to our engines are going to shorten the life of it, but that is how it is in automotive performance. If I want reliability ill get a corolla.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Before you jump on the attack consider why someone would install a pulley kit? Yes to have more gains in HP. If you have followed the SRT intake you will see that it has real gains (dynoed)that you can feel and hear. That is probably why the intakes go for 450.00 I don't believe any of us are going to keep our is300 forever and by the way most people are gonna wear their bearings regardless because they dont understand shifting and rpm principles, scheduled oil changes and good oil. If you know anything about power to weight ratio then you know when I said "it feels like" meant there was gains, but I can't say how much because it's not dynoed. Yes if we want more gains then forced induction is the way to go, but then again there goes the life of the engine. Most engine mods we do to our engines are going to shorten the life of it, but that is how it is in automotive performance. If I want reliability ill get a corolla.

Um... did you notice you're in the 2IS section? There's no $450 SRT intake that does crap for these cars.

Most folks interested in performance aren't doing their own shifting on these cars either.

There's also no reasonable forced induction option at all on these cars.

I know plenty about power to weight ratios BTW, just as I know the butt dyno is the least reliable measure of "perforamance gain" ever. Look into something called cognitive dissonance where people will convince themselves of whatever they want.

It's why folks who spend $300 on an intake for the IS350 are "sure" it "feels" like it gains 10+ rwhp when it likely gained zero... or people who put purely cosmetic engine brace bars on a car are "sure" it improved handling. That's not to say -real- mods that do improve things don't do so in ways you can feel, but that's why they make tools to measure these gains- because "feel" isn't a good way to judge.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Um... did you notice you're in the 2IS section? There's no $450 SRT intake that does crap for these cars.

Most folks interested in performance aren't doing their own shifting on these cars either.

There's also no reasonable forced induction option at all on these cars.

I know plenty about power to weight ratios BTW, just as I know the butt dyno is the least reliable measure of "perforamance gain" ever. Look into something called cognitive dissonance where people will convince themselves of whatever they want.

It's why folks who spend $300 on an intake for the IS350 are "sure" it "feels" like it gains 10+ rwhp when it likely gained zero... or people who put purely cosmetic engine brace bars on a car are "sure" it improved handling. That's not to say -real- mods that do improve things don't do so in ways you can feel, but that's why they make tools to measure these gains- because "feel" isn't a good way to judge.
Omg I was talking about pulleys in general and how can you say the dyno is not a way to measure hp? Like I said if you know anything about power to weight ration then you know there is a gain by losing the weight. I dunno what you mean by engine brace bars, but if you mean an engine damper it's used to reduce vibrations in the engine not improve handling and if you are talking about a strut bar then yes it does have an effect on handling. I don't know where you are getting your sources, but it sounds like you dont know anything about performance and parts. An important part of your cars performance is how it "feels" when you are driving it in certain conditions. If my car "feels" like it can't handle a certain turn or feels underpowered to speed up to something I won't, but by knowing my cars performance I can drive a certain way. The x50 is still under production for performance parts and will have many in the near future. Look at dougs sc kit. 350 to the wheels is good and fun for a daily driver. IF I added an intake, exhaust and used royal purple oil do you seriously think I'll still get "zero" HP?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I said the butt dyno is useless.

It helps to read -all- the words.

But I do think if you add an intake to an ISx50 you'll likely gain 0 real horsepower, since the -stock- intake already provides more air than the engine is capable of using. You'd really need some sort of controlled track testing where you compared average trap speeds to be sure though, as a static dyno with the car motionless, with the hood up and a fan blowing on it, is a horrible way to measure real gains from an air intake.

You might pick up 1% or so if you smooth the airflow with something like a Joe Z pipe though.

An exhaust? Assuming you want to stay legal you'll pick up about 2% for $600-800. Assuming you don't care about legal you can pick up 4-5% for around $1200-1500.

50 horsepower for 10000 (what you'll end up paying for a TOMs supercharger kit for an ISx50) is horrible bang for the buck too. Especially when for not much more you can gain over 100 trading up to an IS-F.

And I'm talking about engine bay braces that people buy for $100 on ebay that do NOTHING to improve the handling of the car because it's connecting parts of the car that don't actually have anything to do with handling. It's dead weight that adds nothing but bling. I'm not sure how you'd confuse an engine brace with a harmonic dampener though.

How your car -feels- is meaningless compared to what you can measure as actually improving.

Many folks spend $300 on an intake for their IS350 and they're sure it "feels" faster but all they did was spend $300 to make the car louder (and possibly slower via heatsoak from running an open element filter).

My last car had over 500 hp by the way. Naturally aspirated. I think I know a little about how to build for -actual- performance, not "feels like it's fast!" performance.

The ISx50 is the wrong car to buy if you're interested in modding the hell out of it for added performance though... there's simply not much gains to be had from any of the common mods, and FI is extremely difficult to do at all, and near impossible to do in a cost effective manner.

The best way to make an IS250 significant faster remains- trade it in for an IS350. If you'd rather drop a few grand on mods you might be luck enough to pick up 10-20% if you don't mind being illegal.

The best way to make an IS350 significantly faster remains- trade it in for an IS-F. If you'd rather spend a few grand on mods you might pick up 5-7% if you don't care about being illegal.

But to get this whole thing back on point- an un-dampened crank pulley is a bad idea, don't do it. They put a dampener on the car for a reason. Unless you're planning to get rid of the car in a relatively short period of time and don't mind screwing the next owner so you could gain 5-10 horsepower for a while, then go ahead.

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
interesting thread

·
Banned
12 Posts
ya.. everyone in here pretty much has the right idea. No pulley kits for me. You may not think they damage anything, but its the silence that kills the motor. hahaha

smaller pulleys = harder work = more stress. I dont really think it matters if they are lighter weight though. Regardless if your pulley weighs 25 lbs compared to 2 lbs, the motor is still turning those functions at the speed their internals will allow, correct?

i say... just turbo the damn thing <333 go out with a bang!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
"sigh"....ISX50 owners are better than us 1st gen guys.....destron25, lets go before they start calling us low buget for owning is300's...

"middle finger"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts