Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to install the flywheel and ACT clutch and someone mentioned in a thread that the flywheel bolts fit for our motors will not work because the bolts will be too long. is this true?

where should i purchase the correct bolts? or what is the part number for the correct bolt?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Bump.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you think i'm going to trust home depot with my flywheel bolts you've got another thing coming to you buddy.

but seriously, i've read in a couple of posts someone mentioning that the stock sized bolts are too long and some people say they just reused stock bolts. anyone care to chime in?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
you can re-use the stock bolts. I had this flywheel in my car and i reused the stock bolts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
WRONG!!! I went through this problem 4 weeks ago with them.

The new flywheel is thinner than the stocker - by a long margin. Also the stockers (on my 02) had a collar near the top of the bolt which widened it to almost an M12 and they wouldn't fit through the flywheel bolt holes.

You need new shorter bolts. I had to get them for my car. I don't remember the exact size, but I believe it's M10 x 1.25, 30mm long, 8.8 shear strength. Unorthodox says they want 10.9 shear strength, but that is way overkill - 10.9 is the strongest shear strength you can buy for that style bolt. 8.8 is the next step down, and our stock bolts are 8.8

Call them and speak to tech dept.

There should have been shorter bolts included in the flywheel box. If not, they are cheap - like $1 each.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Well I got my flywheel from them a while ago. I reused my stock bolts and it worked perfectly fine. No fitment issues whatsoever. I guess they have a new batch of flywheels made.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i called tech support and apparently there are 2 versions of the flywheel out there. some needing short bolts, some needing stock sized bolts. yay for unorthodox!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Youre right Frydryce...i called them too and they said the same thing but after a while he told me that my'03 IS will need to have shorter bolts and either the shorter or the longer stock bolts will not fit. I have to buy new ones like Wookie said. And he was right: the exact bolts that will fit the newest flywheel is M10 1.25 30mm 8.8 or higher shear strenght. I'll put the flywheel this wenesday..i'll let you know if its ok...Bye!

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not a matter of what year is300 you have, it matters which thickness of flywheel you purchased. the tech guy told me to give him the part number and serial and he could look it up whether you have the thicker or thinner flywheel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts