Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 1 Observations.

Holy Grippage Batman! I let the clutch out when I was pulling out of the parking spot my car was in at the dealer, and it lurched forward, although I didn't stall it. The engagement point is about the same as stock. I was hoping for a lower pedal engagement, but life goes on. Pedal feel is WAY lighter than stock, which surprised me.

With the car in neutral, the revs definitely rise and fall WAY WAY faster than with the stock flywheel/clutch.

Engagement into 1st and reverse from a stop is definitely harder to do smoothly. There is some shudder, but apparently the clutch improves with time as kevlar takes a long time to break in. Reccomended break in time is 1000 miles, but I will go to about 600 city driving, then I will come back with an update on it's ability in real driving.

I haven't pushed it beyond 3K rpm yet, and will not do so until the break in is over.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
How much more grippy is the clutch? Does it grab hard as hell when you drive? Maybe i should ask this when its broken in, or you could post and let us know.

How much power is this rated to handle. Where you get it, and how much roughly.

·
Registered
387 Posts
good luck with your set up wookie.. glad you finally got it in.. Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours then i did.. My mechanics going to check it out.. Tranny looks like its about to go, or making funny noises after my clutch and Flywheel install.. Gonna swap to W58 eventually...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
IS JOE said:
You know you can adjust the pedal height right? You can just adjust it to be lower if you wanted to.
i think he was talkin about pedal engagement height not pedal height...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
naphibuzz said:
good luck with your set up wookie.. glad you finally got it in.. Hopefully you'll have better luck with yours then i did.. My mechanics going to check it out.. Tranny looks like its about to go, or making funny noises after my clutch and Flywheel install.. Gonna swap to W58 eventually...
Well, the car was at the dealer for a new tranny under warranty, so I figured good time to save 8 hours labor.... :p

The OE flywheel has a rubber damper built into it, so yeah you will notice some whining from it that wasn't there before.

I put the CDD back in before service, so I have to remove that again, not sure what effect it will have on this setup yet.

Malekreza11

Called Unorthodox direct - paid 1050 USD for both. And hardly no labor, since it's 8.0 to replace the tranny, and 8.4 for the flywheel. So deduct the 8.0 for the warranty tranny work, and I owe .4 to re/re the clutch/flywheel once the tranny is pulled.

Although Unorthodox fucked up and sent me a flywheel without any bolts, and since the old ones are too long, that meant rolling the car in and out twice and having to re-do some work a second time once I supplied the dealer with the bolts, so I incurred some cost - which I will be discussing with Unorthodox.

As for power, I would guess it's good to 350-400 HP or so. It is WAY WAY more instantaneous than stock. Let the pedal out too quickly, and the car will lurch forward hard.

A friend of mine has the identical kevlar 'window' disc on a lightweight flywheel on his TT S4, which has around 350 AWHP (470 HP), and it does not slip at all. The only difference is his pressure plate is stronger, but the friction disc is the same design.

The window design is rated to 45% more max torque than the stock unit, and I think 275-300 WTQ is where the stocker starts failing, so 350 WTQ sounds about right.

Leaves room for some pretty good upgrades. :p

Here it is:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts